Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarryMinkey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 04:19 AM
    Are Hyenas more closley related to the Canine or Feline family?
    Some people have been saying Canine, others Feline. I just would like another opinion. I know they look more like Canines but I am interested in the genetics of the animal. Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 18, 2009, 05:07 AM

Hyenas are canine. Can be bred with different breeds of dogs. They are not actually as ferocious as we are led to believe.
    Sakamai Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 08:37 PM

Canine, they are north america's equivalent to wolves, only they scavenge rather than hunt.
    Jenelea Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Hyena's are niether Canine nor Feline. The are Hyaenidae and in a Family of their own. There are three subspecies : Striped, spotted and brown. They are more closely related to a Mongoose.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenelea View Post
    Hyena's are niether Canine nor Feline. The are and in a Family of their own. There are three subspecies : Striped, spotted and brown. They are more closely related to a Mongoose.
    Yes, Jenelea, you are possibly correct. And I concede. Thank you for posting.

Regards

Tick
    Sakamai Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 03:35 PM

My mistake I was thinking of african dogs... Sorry
    MrKnowItAll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2011, 08:35 AM
    Hyenas or Hyaenas are the animals of the class Mammalia, order Carnivora, family Hyaenidae, suborder Feliforms (or "cat-like" as opposed to Caniforms or "dog-like") of the Carnivora. Although phylogenetically close to felines (the whole "cat" family) and viverrids (including all of the genets, the binturong, most of the civets, and the four linsangs, but not, as somebody on this page has asserted, mongooses, weasels or meerkats), hyenas are behaviourally and morphologically similar to canines in several aspects (a product of Convergent evolution); both hyenas and canines are non-arboreal, cursorial hunters that catch prey with their teeth rather than claws. Both eat food quickly and may store it, and their calloused feet with large, blunt, non-retractible nails are adapted for running and making sharp turns. However, the hyenas' grooming, scent marking, defecating habits, mating and parental behaviour are consistent with the behaviour of other feliforms. Although long reputed to be cowardly scavengers, hyenas, especially spotted hyenas, kill as much as 95% of the food they eat, and have been known to drive off leopards or lionesses from their kills. Hyenas are primarily nocturnal animals, but may venture from their lairs in the early morning hours. With the exception of the highly social spotted hyena, hyenas are generally not gregarious animals, though they may live in family groups and congregate at kills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foxes: Canine or Feline [ 7 Answers ]

What family are foxes in, Canines or Felines?

Feline Intestinal Peritonitis- FIP [ 3 Answers ]

I just took a cat from a lady who was too poor to get the cat help. She is only 3 lbs and is supposed to be @ 4 months old and you can see every bone in her body. I immediately took her to my vet. He has made up his mind that she has FIP. I made him X-ray her to ensure she was not pregnant ( I am...

Feline Gingervitis [ 4 Answers ]

One of my cats has just been diagnosed with gingervitis. Her mother died from the same problem. Is gingervitis hereditary, is it always terminal & if not how is it treated? Would greatly appreciate any assistance to save her life.

Feline weight loss [ 5 Answers ]

My cat is 6 years old and recently began losing weight. She does not have any other symptoms of being ill, other than the weight loss. She is an indoor cat, does not get any particular exercise and nothing has changed with her life style. Can you help me understand what may be the cause?

View more questions Search