Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jody7454 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 08:52 AM
    2001 Hyundai Sonata won't start
    Hi,

I'm having a problem with my 2001 Hyundai Sonata. It seemed like the motor would lose power and slow down. Then the power would come back and the car would quickly speed up. It has also been having a hard time starting. Sometimes I would have to try several times before it would start. I thought the starting problem had to do with the power loss problem. I had the car checked and I was told it was the ignition coil. So I replaced the 2 coils, spark plugs and wires. Now the car doesn't start at all. So I changed the starter as well, but the car still won't start. Every time I turn the key, there is a fast clicking sound. I thought it might be a problem with the battery so I tried jumping it with another car, but that didn't help. I don't know what else to try. Also, the car is a 4 cylinder with a manual transmission.

Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 31, 2009, 12:38 PM

. Remove and fully charge/replace the battery. You don't want to jump start a modern-day car--there's the possibility that a voltage spike will destroy the ECM, alternator, or sensors.

. Clean battery terminals and cable connections.

. Read this link:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

My bet is that the battery is bad.
    Jody7454 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 09:23 PM
    Hello,

Thanks for answering my question. I called AAA to come check it out. The guy that came put a potable battery charger (I think that's what its called) on it and it started right up. The motor was still running badly and stalled. The guy said that it was the alternator that wasn't working. He said that a bad alternator would cause the power loss because the fuel injection on newer cars is contolled electronically.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 05:38 AM

I agree. I would remove and fully charge/replace the battery and install a new alternator.
    maxine41 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 10:46 AM

My car cranks but have no spark
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 10:48 AM

. Remove and fully charge the battery. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

. Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Check for codes.

. Read Sections 1 and 2 of the Sticky for ideas.
    maxine41 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maxine41 View Post
    my car cranks but have no spark
    My car won't start... it cranks but no spark
    jammer01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2010, 11:13 AM

Is there a diagram of ecm location?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2004 hyundai sonata will not start [ 1 Answers ]

My wife drove into a carwash and when the water started to spray, the car died. We pushed it out of the car wash and towed it home. It has been at least 8 hours and it still will not start! Any ideas. Thanks!

2001 Hyundai Sonata that won't start [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, What a great site! My question is this. My wife drives a 2001 Hyundai Sonata with about 86,000 miles. I've never had this problem with the car before and of course it is sitting in our garage. She went out to start it this morning. It turns over easily, but will not start or...

2001 Hyundai Sonata Color Coded Wiring Diagram [ 0 Answers ]

Bought 2001 Hyundia Sonata 4 cyl with 26k miles, w/ blown head gasket, replaced engine, found that it needed an ECM (computer), replaced it. Car starts up, runs a couple of seconds-makes a chirping sound and shuts off. (have no key fob) Assume the alarm module is bad (apparently car was under...

2001 4 cylinder hyundai sonata [ 2 Answers ]

Facing the engine from the front bumper what is the order by number of the cylinders and what is the firing order. I am getting a "misfire on cylinder 3" code. Thank you

View more questions Search