Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmiller999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 10:35 PM
    Refrigerator Compressor too hot to touch
    I have a 35 year old Whirlpool refrigerator. The compressor is too hot to touch. My finger will burn if it is touching for a full second. However, the refrigerator and freezer are fine temperature-wise and the fan is running. The compressor is obviously running (I feel vibrations before it got too hot to touch.) I've had it on for the last hour and it has not cycled off but I've also had it completely off for 4 days because I'm afraid of a fire. The vinyl floor under the compressor has been discolored (I assume due to the heat). I have also cleaned the coils under the unit. What can the problem be? How do you fix it? Is there some other place I should try to clean? Is it time for a new one?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2009, 01:59 AM

Old compressors do get hot -- very hot. The problem is efficiency. They're not very efficient, and age doesn't help, and they lose a lot of energy as waste heat. I think you're absolutely correct about the vinyl underneath the compressor.

How to fix it? You could replace the entire compressor. That wouldn't seem very cost-effective. The claim is made that the newer refrigerators will pay for themselves in energy savings in 3 years (I haven't evaluated this, so I don't know for sure). The government claims that energy costs for refrigerators made after 1993 are cut in half. I've been trying to get my mother-in-law (95 years old) to replace her 1952 vintage refrigerator that runs constantly and doesn't get cold enough to freeze ice. She still refuses. :(

Energy Star Refrigerators and Freezers
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 29, 2009, 08:58 PM

The compressor will get quite warm. Cleaning the coils certainly should help. If the refrigerator has been off for 4 days it will take more than 1 hour to cool the inside down, probably 8 to 12 hours. The compressor has a thermal switch to protect it if it gets too hot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refrigerator warm to touch [ 2 Answers ]

We have Maytag refrigerator with freezer on top. If you touch the refrigerator on the outside on both sides of freezer it is very, very warm to touch. Is this normal? Could it be overheating?

Refrigerator Frame HOT to the Touch! [ 1 Answers ]

I copy and pasted the post below because I am having the same problem, however I had a serviceman check it and the first time the fan had gotten disconnected during installation, that was fixed. I have moved out of the house and rented it to my daughter and she is now having the same problem. I...

Fridaire Refrigerator compressor [ 1 Answers ]

My refrigerator is not cooling... can I test the compressor or is there a fix.

Maytag Refrigerator compressor [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking to buy a Maytag MFF2557KES but I don't know much about it... When looking on the internet I hear complaints from people who had to replace the compressor several times... should I avoid this unit? JeffG

Kenmore refrigerator compressor wiring [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Kenmore refrigerator model 106.50599000. I just order a new harness and original capacitor for it. The problem I have is the technician my brother hired before cut the original wiring and put in some replacement capacitor that connect to the compressor. And now the evaporator fan is...

View more questions Search