Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OKlahoma35 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 06:15 AM
    Girlfriend Eviction
    My girlfriend and I moved here two years ago from our home out of state. We have both lived here for two years. She just decided that she wants me to move in two weeks.

The original agreement was Aug 1 2009 when she returned form Texas. She decided to stay here in Oklahoma. Now said she wants me out in two weeks.

She owns the house but we both lived here for two years. We moved here from my home in NJ . I am the only one who has been employed for the two years as she is a student who only works for two months during the summer.

Can she legally have me removed in two weeks? What rights if any do I have?

Her only option would be to lie to the police which I seriously think she would but who knows.

Is there any thing I can do or any rights I have? To stay until Aug 1 or any 30 day written notice laws.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 06:23 AM

This is not a Police matter. You did not break in.

She has to evict you according to State law. Hopefully someone can access the site for you - I tried and all I can access is non-payment of rent questions and then the site freezes.

May 29, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by OKlahoma35 View Post
    My girlfriend and I moved here two years ago from our home out of state. We have both lived here for two years. She just decided that she wants me to move in two weeks.

The original agreement was Aug 1 2009 when she returned form Texas. She decided to stay here in oklahoma. Now said she wants me out in two weeks.

She owns the house but we both lived here for two years. We moved here from my home in NJ . I am the only one who has been employed for the two years as she is a student who only works for two months during the summer.

Can she legally have me removed in two weeks? What rights if any do I have?

Her only option would be to lie to the police which I seriously think she would but who knows.

Is there any thing I can do or any rights I have? to stay until Aug 1 or any 30 day written notice laws. ?

Let me add a little more detail. We have been living in separate bedrooms for the past 6 months. I have been paying her monthly to continue to stay in one of the bedrooms so basically I have been renting a room from here for the past 6 months
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2009, 10:39 AM

You are a renter basically even she can give you notice to move, and evict you in housing court, ( will take longer than 2 weeks)

Now she can lie, tell them you hit her, or threatened her, and get a order of protection, and then police will throw you out and you will have to deal with criminal issues.

I would just try to move if you can, and save the grief.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2009, 10:47 AM

Here's the law:
    OKLAHOMA Landlord and Tenant Acts

She has to give you 30 day written notice that she wants to terminate your tenancy. Since she owns the house she is your landlord. Absent a lease with an expiration date, you are a month to month tenant.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 11:30 AM
    Let me add a little more detail. We have been living in separate bedrooms for the past 6 months. I have been paying her monthly to continue to stay in one of the bedrooms so basically I have been renting a room from here for the past 6 months

The Court doesn't care where anyone sleeps. If she wants you out, absent a lease, she can evict you.

May 29, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    The Court doesn't care where anyone sleeps. If she wants you out, absent a lease, she can evict you.

That part I understand but her telling me 2 weeks is my concern. Am I legal permitted a 30day notice or can she throw my stuff out that day and lock me out.? That's what she keeps threatening me with
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 01:10 PM

She cannot legally lock you out. I have no idea where she's getting the 2 weeks from.

You have to evicted by legal means.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2009, 02:16 PM
    That part I understand but her telling me 2 weeks is my concern. Am I legal permitted a 30day notice or can she throw my stuff out that day and lock me out.?? That's what she keeps threatening me with
    Did you read the law that I linked to? She HAS to give you a 30 day WRITTEN notice. If she locks you out and throws your belongings out, you can call the police, show that you live there and they will force her to let you back in. You can then sue her for illegal eviction.

Print out the law and hand it to her. Tell her you don't want to be where you aren't wanted, but you need more time and the law requires her to give you that.

May 29, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Did you read the law that I linked to? She HAS to give you a 30 day WRITTEN notice. If she locks you out and throws your belongings out, you can call the police, show that you live there and they will force her to let you back in. You can then sue her for illegal eviction.

Print out the law and hand it to her. Tell her you don't want to be where you aren't wanted, but you need more time and the law requires her to give you that.
    Yes I did read that thanks. Let you all know how it works out, At this point she sayd June 15 stuff out on lawn and doors locked. If she does damage my stuff out on th elawn I will call the sheriffs and request a protection order. I don't want to stay here I just need until the end of June. So I can relocate back home 1500 miles away. We are both out of state . Otherwise I will have no transportation back 1500 miles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend eviction [ 2 Answers ]

I live with my girlfriend who is also the mother of my 2 children. I want her to leave. Is there a legal way to put her out? How and where would I find an eviction notice to put her out as she isn't co-operating

VA eviction notice.can we pay and stop the eviction [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his wife are living in VA in a rental house. Rent is due the 1st with a 5 day grace period. When they realized they weren't going to be have money for rent until the 18th (wife is a teacher and that is her monthly payday) she called the rental agent and explained. She was told that as...

Girlfriend Eviction [ 1 Answers ]

How can I evict an exgirlfriend

Another ex-girlfriend/eviction? Mess. [ 9 Answers ]

My now ex-girlifriend, will not leave my house. I had originally agreed to let her stay there (since Nov 2), until she got a place on the first of Dec (tomorrow), that's not going to happen. She drinks heavily and last night destroyed some dors in the house and smashed a glass table outside,...

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

View more questions Search