Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    69rodney Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Ceiling fan reverse switch wire-around
    Hi,

I have a perfectly good Harbor Breeze fan with a broken reverse switch and the fan won't operate. I'd like to wire around the reverse switch and just use the fan in the "down" position - but I don't know how? One side of the switch has wires coming into it and the other side has 4 rows containing four contacts each. Can you please help?

Thanks,

Rodney
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

May 25, 2009, 12:33 PM

I would recommend that you get a replacement switch

May 25, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jerro View Post
    i would recommend that you get a replacement switch
    Thanks, but I have been to Lowe's, Home Depot, and the specialy electric store in my area and that don't stock this switch.

I don't need the fan to go up anyway - down all the time is fine.

So, anyone out there got another answer to my question (how to wire around this swithch)?
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

May 25, 2009, 08:18 PM

Without actually seeing how it is wired or a wiring diagram that would be a hard question to answer.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 06:17 PM

Send a picture of the switch. How many wires and contacts does it have? Most have 6 contacts and 4/6 wires, or 3 contacts 3 wires.

May 28, 2009, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    Send a picture of the switch. How many wires and contacts does it have? Most have 6 contacts and 4/6 wires, or 3 contacts 3 wires.

Many thanks for your offer, but the problem has now been resolved and the fan is happily whirling away (blowing down only) following a successful wire-around.

I must also add that relying on memory (the fan was 100 miles away when I wrote, and I thought that there were two rows of four contacts when a visit back showed that there were two rows of three) and poor typing (I wrote there were four rows when, in reality there were only two rows), I described the switch quite incorrectly. Instead of saying "four rows of four contacts each" I should have said that there were "two rows of three contacts each."

I now understand that "two rows of three contacts" describes a double-pole double-throw switch which is commonly (but not exclusively) used as a phase reversal switch in ceiling fans.

For those who would like to see a diagram, I would suggest http://www.1728.com/dpdt.gif.

For those who would like a bit of discussion, as well as a diagram, it will be found (with other materials) at Basic Electricity Tutorial - Switches.

Thanks for all responses,

69rodney
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 10:43 PM

Glad you got it working. Yes ceiling fan reverse switches are either DPDT or SPDT.
    Dahlka1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 06:16 AM
    They sell the needed switches at hardware stores for about $4

Jun 1, 2012, 01:03 PM
    Perhaps they sell them in your town - but not in mine. As noted above, I tried to buy one at Home Depot (which sells the fan in question), Lowe's, and an electrical specialty store - with no luck. But thanks for trying to help.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2012, 01:15 PM
    Thanks Rodney for the results, good deal.
    The 4 in a row threw us.
    That dpdt switch wired as a polarity reversal is a good little way to reverse polarity.
    If you said 2 rows of three, one of us would have said to hook the 2 at 1 end to the 2 at the center or other end, and if it goes the wrong direction, swap the pairs.
    Thanks for the links, good info.
    Dahlka1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 06:09 PM
    I also had tried Lowe's and Home Depot for the switches,but then I went to my local hardware store in dearborn heights, mi and they had it
    saavedraa Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2012, 05:19 PM
    I am in need of doing the same thing and use only the down position. My switch has four(4) wires and six (6) contacts
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2012, 05:43 PM
    If 4 wires and you see crossed wires across the switch, Wrap tape around 2 wires at end of switch, then wrap tape around 2 center or other side 2 wires, connect across each other, if it goes in reverse, swap the pair of wires. It will now be Only down, and not any problem, I leave mine all down?

Jun 19, 2012, 09:40 AM
    Dear Stratmando:

Instructions are not very clear. Wires ar all welded to swich. What do you mean by "Wrap around"?
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2012, 11:24 AM
    Wires are soldered to the switch, there are 2 wires at one end, they need to be cut from the switch and taped too keep these 2 wires grouped together,(tape wrapped around to keep as a pair)
    You are going too have 2 more wires, cut these off the switch and tape together(the wires, not the electrical connection).
    So now you have 2 pairs of wires with no electrical connection yet.
    Connect 1 wire from each pair, now connect the remaining 2 together. If it runs backwards, swap the 2 wires.
    Write down a diagram of the switch with wire colors to save time later.
    If you tell me the 2 colors at one end and the other 2 colors(May be at the end or in the middle of the switch.
    I will tell you the 2 possibilities.

Jul 11, 2012, 10:48 AM
    Diagram of switch:

Point1(White) Point2(NO Wire)

Point3(Black) Point4(Red)

Point5(Blue) Point6(NO Wire)

Criss-Cross at the bottom of switch: 1) From Point1 to Point6 (White)
    2) From Point2 to Point5 (Blue)
    Doc 1952 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
    69rodney. I live in Al. Mine did the same, switch broke all to pieces, took the link you put up, got it back to running for summer rotation.
    I did the same and called hardware stores, and the building materials stores, and also a lighting showroom, could not find one.
    The last place I called Radio Shack, they sell them about $4.00 tax included, but a Friend had some junk fans, mine is still dangling for now, but he is going to replace the switch for me.
    I f this does not help you now, maybe it will help someone else, the 1"st place to call is Radio Shack, if not there, then order one online, or maybe local thrift store.
    Make sure you get the correct amp. Mine is a 6 A- 125 VAC 2PDT.
    Doc 1952 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2012, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saavedraa View Post
    Dear Stratmando:

Instructions are not very clear. Wires ar all welded to swich. What do you mean by "Wrap around"?
    Forget about all the wrap around and all the other junk, it took me about 2 or 3 days to figure mine out, I live in Al. I called all the building material stores Lowe's etc. lighting showroom, they don't have them, the 1'st place you want to call is your local Radio Shack, I have mine working now, but the light is still dangling, a friend of mine had a junk fan, he took the switch out, wating for him to come solider and replace it,
    If you want to use the fan without replacing the switch, then do this but do not criss cross any wires, that's bull, do not splice wires together with tape, when tape get's hot and old, Fire Hazard, only use type to lable your wiring, if it is a
    2PDT, if you cut the wires from the back of the switch, cut 2 at a time start with top, wrap them with tape, only to hold the 2 wires together lable 2 at a time top, middle,and bottom, or T M B.

Ok if your fan is a 2 Pole, Double Throw, also if you replace the switch make sure you get the right amps. Mine is 6A- 125 VAC or 6 amp. Ok if it is a 2PDT, there will be two rows of wires 3 on each side, so this is the way to wire it, remember it took me 2 or 3 days to learn this lesson from help with friend, to keep from messing up the fan, here's a diagram and again do not criss cross.

A top B
    C middle D
    E bottom F

Switch in the upright position for up or Winter, Wire A to C and B to D
    For down or Summer rotation Wire C to E and D to F.
    That should work fine for you!!
    wsoeldner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2013, 05:58 AM
    Hi,

What do/ did you use to wire around. I have the same problem but I am somewhat confused as to what to wire to what. Will I not damage anything by taking two wires from one side and connecting them to the middle or end?

Thanks,

Wolfgang
    Uber Member

May 19, 2013, 07:25 AM
    I should have cleared up "wrap around", some above posters really got it confused.
    There are usually 4 wires on the reverse switch, 2 connect to the end of the switch and 2 will connect to the center of the switch.
    Wrap tape around 1 pair, also wrap tape around the other pair.
    Take 1 wire from 1 pair and connect to 1 wire of the other pair. Then connect the remaining wires.
    If you swap those pairs, the fan will reverse. 50/50 chance of wiring correctly the first time, if blowing the wrong direction, swap wires.
    DO NOT CONNECT wires that are taped together.

The switch will also have 2 short jumpers wired like an "X" across the outer terminals, this is called a polarity switch and effectively swaps 2 wires. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan Reverse Switch [ 12 Answers ]

I have seen a few topics on this so far but I am unable to find the answer to my question. I know the reverse switch is faulty but I am not able to return the fan as it is out of warranty. Does anyone know where I can order a replacement switch to install?

Reverse switch on ceiling fan doesn't work [ 18 Answers ]

My ceiling fan works great even though it looks old. The problem is that it will not reverse for the winter. There is a switch and it works great for summer. It just sits and hums when I switch it over. Do I have to throw out the fan or is there any chance it can be fixed. THanks.

Ceiling fan reverse switch [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My wife & I had two Hampton Bay Miramar celing fans installed in our living room by an electrician. We can't find the owner's manual for these fans to locate the switch on the fan housing that changes the direction the blades turn. The switch isn't in the normal location where Hampton...

Ceiling Fan reverse switch [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I get a replacement reverse switch for my ceiling fan? I already tried Lowe's

Ceiling Fan reverse switch [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone here know the location of reverse/forward switch on a Hampton Bay 60" industrial 3 blade fan?

View more questions Search