Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Darnetta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 07:59 AM
    How do you know if you and your mate are unequally yoked?
    My husband believes in God but he dosen't have any faith. He dosen't understand the importance of prayer and doesen't think that it's necessary.He doubts God. I believe that he is blocking our blessings. I think we are unequally yoked. Should I stick around or chalk it up as a loss and let go now? I son't know if trying to make it work is worth it if it isn't in Gods plan. I do love him. I need some advice from someone who knows.:confused:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 08:05 AM

The Bible says that if you are in married to a non believer you stay because he might come to the Lord one day by your winning him over.
    It says he can leave if he wants to but you should stay.

I understand the 'blocking your blessings' things 100% because a non believer will talk negative and keep saying things like 'what on earth do you want to do that for?'
    You need to pray and ask God what he wants you to do each day and in long term goals.
    Tell your husband that when you feel God is telling you to do something ain't nothing stopping you. Just don't use it as a catch phrase to do what you want to do though.
    Like if you feel lead to go to serve at a food bank or something is telling you to go down street A rather than street C you need to learn to follow that and have your husband understand that you need to do what you believe God is telling you.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 08:18 AM

It's up to you. Make a list of what you have in common - and what you disagree about.

In my opinion, politics and religion being different is hard to deal with in a marriage - and more so if kids are in the plans.
    homesell Posts: 244, Reputation: 43

May 28, 2009, 04:39 AM
    Yes you are unequally yoked but unless he beats you or cheats on you, stay with him. You don't know if God wants to use you to "get" to your husband by the Holy life you lead. You may not need to say a word. And even though the user name is "nohelp4u" her advice on this should be a big help. Personally, I have real doubts how a non-believer can begin to understand unlimited, unconditional love unless they see it firsthand or they are taught by the Holy Spirit. If all your husband believes is that God exists, point out (gently, in truth and love) that the devil and his demons all believe in Gods existence... they just don't want to follow or listen to Him.
    belovedgift Posts: 69, Reputation: 13

May 29, 2009, 09:19 AM

He believes in God,not religion!! He's a keeper. You are "uneaqully yoked" to a child of God who has,AS OF YET, not made a relationship with his creator,this is ground worth seeding the gospel into. And remember that the same God who sends rain on the just also sends rain on the unjust. Just fallow the principle of Matt 6:33. He promised, he will deliver!
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

May 30, 2009, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnetta View Post
    My husband believes in God but he dosen't have any faith. He dosen't understand the importance of prayer and doesen't think that it's necessary.He doubts God. I believe that he is blocking our blessings. I think we are unequally yoked. Should I stick around or chalk it up as a loss and let go now? I son't know if trying to make it work is worth it if it isn't in Gods plan. I do love him. I need some advice from someone who knows.:confused:
    Darnetta - look, I don't know you and you don't know me but I feel comfortable being honest with you since you are here asking this question.

I know you believe your husband has no faith and perhaps he does not... the inwardness of another human being is hard to really measure, I think. I recognize the frustration of not knowing where your spouse is coming from on spiritual issues but just realize that we all have to sort these issues out on our own sometimes. We have to let people find their way.

In the meantime, though, you may have to ask yourself some tough questions. Is your commitment to your husband based upon his beliefs? Would the loving thing be to divorce him or remain his partner? God has placed you in this relationship to learn how to love another human being and to grow in wisdom. I don't think God would want you to now divorce your husband because he doesn't seem to believe in Him. You think your husband is blocking blessings from God? I don't think God works like that. He blesses us individually and can bless two partners in marriage, but one person's failure does not affect the other with respect to God. Darnetta, what blessings are you talking about anyway?

Really, Darnetta, God has you and all of us in the various situations of life to grow us up. Perhaps you are being short-sighted. If you divorce your husband because he does not believe like you do, he may be left with the impression that Christians are petty and dispose of their wives/husbands because they disagree on spiritual issues. Your heart ought to really ache right now at even the thought of divorcing this man but somehow your words seem to be cavalier and casual. I think you ought to take a very serious look at yourself and consider where you are at because, quite frankly, I find the idea of divorcing another person for the reasons you stated to be very petty.

I don't say these things to hurt you; I hope you can believe that. But the truth is sometimes hard to hear, I know. But if I were you, I would want nothing less from someone.

Sincerely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Soul Mate [ 2 Answers ]

When do I understand that I have finally met my soul mate? Also let me know if anyone of you can suggest me that how to know who is the one I will be happy with?

My ex and my best mate? [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, So I broke up with my ex-girlfriend around 2 months ago. She was the one that dumped me and subsequently its been a tough time. While we don't hate each other were are doing the No Contact rule in order to allow things to heal. I have not healed yet, not by far, I still have feelings for...

Guy mate [ 2 Answers ]

There iz this guy that I really like an we are bezzi mates but he is 3 years older than me an I fancy him but he is going out wiv sum1 else... HELP!:confused:

View more questions Search