Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

May 25, 2009, 09:00 AM
    Kitten Claw Turned Black
    I trimmed my cat's claws yesterday for the first time, and today I notice that one of them is black- is it possible that I trimmed to close and this is some sort of a scab? Or could it be some kind of fungus? Or another issue that I'm not aware of? We just got him from a neighbor and have yet to take him to a vet for a checkup and any testing, and I'm very concerned. All of his claws looked perfectly fine yesterday when I clipped them, so I'm sure this something new since then- wasn't like this when we got him.

Please give me some advice, I never had a cat before and all of the vet offices are closed until tomorrow because of the holiday. I wasn't planning on taking him to the vet for a check up until the beginning of June when I get paid, but do you think it's necessary that I get him in there sooner? He doesn't seem to be in any pain- is acting like himself, very playful, and lets me touch the claw without seeming like it irritates him or anything...

Thanks for your help.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 25, 2009, 10:34 AM

A lot of kittens and puppies are born with white nails and even pink noses.
    The black pigment fills in as they grow older.
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

May 25, 2009, 10:57 AM

You don't think there's any correlation then between me clipping his claws and then one of them turning black? Just seems like a weird coincidence.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 25, 2009, 11:01 AM

You could go to your vet for a check but as long as the nail still looks smooth and shiny, I would say it is just the pigment coming through...

My white poodles nails turned from white/pink to black one by one over a few months.

Cutting them doesn't have an effect on the color so I would say coincidence.

You panic a lot... I like it, it means you care!! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone who has eyes that are normally brown that turned black [ 5 Answers ]

Good Day, Afternoon, Evening, I am new on this site and am hoping someone may have an answer for me. This is something that happened back in 2006 and still creeps me out today. I was with my boyfriend and we were laying on my bed kissing. I happened to look at him as he lay there and his...

Brown Hair Dye Turned Black [ 4 Answers ]

I Dyed My Teenage Daughters Hair Last Night. It Was Supposed To Be Dark Brown. Some Is Dark Brown, But Most Of It Looks Black. What Can I Do To Lighten It. She Left For School In Tears This Morning. She Thinks It Looks Gothic. Please Help.

I wanted brown hair. IT TURNED BLACK [ 5 Answers ]

I just finished doing my hair And I was so excited to finally Get rid of my light brown/dark blonde and go for a medium brown But when I washed it out It was so dark and mostly black Now I'm having a fit Because I have school tomorrow and it looks awful And I'm so scared it won't lighten ...

Tiger claw [ 1 Answers ]

How to find the genuiness of a tiger nail,

File names turned blue from black [ 1 Answers ]

Why some of the file names and size, type, date modified, etc. listed in the file folders turned blue and some are not? They were all black before. Is that these turned blue items become hyperlinked/ controlled by another computer?

View more questions Search