Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soxfan01 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Water staying in bottom of dishwasher
    When I use my dishwasher, after it is finished going through all of its cycles the water is staying in the bottom of the dishwasher. What is going on?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 24, 2009, 06:58 PM

It can be one of the three things:

1. You have small food leftovers covering fine screen openings that covers pump intake on the bottom of the DW. Remove the screen, clean it and reinstall it. ( Advice: pre-wash plates before you put them inside d/w ).
    2. DW is too far from the drain / sink / Garbage Disposer. As result, plumber ran too long hose between DW and highest point of the loop ( or Air Gap, if you have one.). Install inline check valve on 5/8" discharge hose to prevent discharged water from returning to your DW
    3. Pump is not functioning properly. Call appliance repairman to service your DW
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 25, 2009, 06:25 AM
    In addition to Milos excellent post,( I go with door number two) Your DW has a sump that never completely emptys. Regards, tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 25, 2009, 06:54 AM

Observations from an amateur.

1. You hope #1 is the problem... easy to fix.
    2. If #2 was the problem, wouldn't it have shown up from day one of the installation?
    3. Milo and SB had really good advice. I would never have thought of #2 but it makes a lot of sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool dishwasher sprayer arm does not spin, water in bottom! [ 3 Answers ]

We have a DU840 inherited in a foreclosed home that we bought. Turned it on and ran through a complete cycle. However, none of the dishes were cleaned even though the detergent dispenser opened. There was water in the bottom at the end of the cycle. Apparently, the sprayer arm did not spin...

Water in bottom of dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

My dishwasher will run its full cycle and the bottom will be empty. I can open it 4 days later and there will be water standing in the bottom. We have had someone look at it and we thought it was fixed but it is doing it again. Can someone give me some ideas? :eek:

Water stays in the bottom of my dishwasher [ 2 Answers ]

I don't remember seeing water in the bottom of my dishwasher before but hubby says it is suppose to have some in the bottom. My glasses have been getting etched and yukky looking and it doesn't seem like my jet dry is going down I have a Whirlpool quiet partner III dishwasher. I also pulled some...

Dishwasher Overflowing and Water Left in Bottom of Unit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I've been without a dishwasher for years because I thought mine was bad. When I first moved into my condo I had a half size, ancient dishwasher that started to overflow about the third time I used it. After several years I decided to replace it with a full size unit and on my...

View more questions Search