Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sohojojo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Do tonsils grow back?
    Do tonsils ever 'grow back' after a tonsilectomy? If so, how common is this?
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 04:31 AM
    It is possible for tonsils to partially grow back. In a procedure called a tonsillectomy, most of the tonsils are removed. However, if some tissue remains, tonsils can sometimes regenerate — although they probably won't grow back completely or to their original size.

I have to say its rather unlikely if you are still suffering from sore throats then you more than likely have a viral infection.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 04:47 AM
    My youngest son did experience his tonsils growing back. When the ENT first told me, I thought he was pulling my leg, as I had never heard of that happening. But it did, so there are those rare occasions where it does happen. He had the second set taken out in 1999 and they did not grow back.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 04:51 AM
    They continue to grow up until puberty, so they will grow back at a young age.
    perkie43 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 09:56 AM
    I am a medical marvel, it seems, because I had my 4th set of tonstils, at age 45.

Stop laughing, please. It's true.

My first were taken out when I was 5. They regrew and were taken out the 2nd time at age 9. At age 16, it took a month to clear up the worst case of tonsilitus the ear nose and throat doc had seen. They were once again removed, with him assuring my mother that he had taken out half my throat and "I would never have to worry about that again." And I can attest to the half the throat being taken out that time, because it took 6 weeks to heal.

Around age 42 or so, I started having more sore throats. Finally, several years later, the suckers swelled up to the size of your pinky on both sides, and my family care physician said, guess what, you've got tonsilitus!

I said, and I quote, "Oh no I don't!!!! I don't have any tonsils!"

"Oh yes you do, and let me show them to you!"

I nearly fell out.

Yes indeedy, I have a brand new set of tonsils. Unbelieveable.

I'm now 52, female, and am in the midst of my 2nd truly bad about of tonsilitus. So I went to the Web this morning to find out if there are any others like me out there.

So far, I seem to hold the record.

Parents: beware. They CAN grow back. I am living proofl
    hlubnaomi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 07:57 PM

Actually the only way how tonsils can grow is if you eat too much sugar that's why a lot of little kids around age 9-19 has so many tonsil because they eat too much sweet during those age and that's the only way how your tonsil grows and if you stop eating sweets a lot then you will be fine. Hope I answer all your qeustion:)
    Meeko Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2008, 07:33 PM

Mine grew back as well. So I say the yes there's a good chance they can grow back for you. :P
    spiritcharms Posts: 230, Reputation: 30

May 24, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by perkie43 View Post
    I am a medical marvel, it seems, because I had my 4th set of tonstils, at age 45.

Stop laughing, please. It's true.

My first were taken out when I was 5. They regrew and were taken out the 2nd time at age 9. At age 16, it took a month to clear up the worst case of tonsilitus the ear nose and throat doc had seen. They were once again removed, with him assuring my mother that he had taken out half my throat and "I would never have to worry about that again." And I can attest to the half the throat being taken out that time, because it took 6 weeks to heal.

Around age 42 or so, I started having more sore throats. Finally, several years later, the suckers swelled up to the size of your pinky on both sides, and my family care physician said, guess what, you've got tonsilitus!

I said, and I quote, "Oh no I don't!!!! I don't have any tonsils!"

"Oh yes you do, and let me show them to you!"

I nearly fell out.

Yes indeedy, I have a brand new set of tonsils. Unbelieveable.

I'm now 52, female, and am in the midst of my 2nd truly bad bout of tonsilitus. So I went to the Web this morning to find out if there are any others like me out there.

So far, I seem to hold the record.

Parents: beware. They CAN grow back. I am living proofl
    flipping heck, well I never knew that! You poor thing, that must have been agony for you,and still is ! I've never had tonsilitus but it's something my sister suffers with on a regular basis and has since her teens, she's now 39. She's never had her tonsils out though. But by god has she suffered with it, I looked after here for a while whilst she was suffering, it was awful to see and not a lot you can do to help. So I really feel for you x

p.s. I know this thread goes back to 2008, but just wanted to say in case you're still around.

Best Wishes
    cezzium Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2009, 07:12 PM

I know this is a late addition to the thread, but perkie I want you to know you are not alone.

I believe mine are back now for the third time. I might have ended up like you, but for many years after the second surgery I had no problems. I'm now in my 50s and the symptoms are escalating. I'm thinking I may have them out by the end of the year should all my suspicions prove correct.

The awful part of the regrowth is the fact the tonsil seems to grow towards the outside of your neck so the ENTs don't always see them as pus-filled abscesses...

Hope things turned out well for you.

Cez
    pinkgirl101098 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 11:23 AM
    You, but still unbelivable.
    kaybayls Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2011, 09:39 AM
    How can tonsils grow back ? If you have strep throat can have no voice or horse voice
    iiiNerd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2011, 02:23 AM
    I had my first set on tonsils taken out at age 9? I am 13 (almost 14) and mine grew back. How I know? I have mono and strep throat. Its not fun at all. My throat and tonsils are in absolute agony. D: I wish I could crawl under a rock and die. Sucks even more, I gave it all to my friends through sharing drinks and food :P I even gave it to my boyfriend through kissing. I wish my tonsils never grew back
    CozzieRock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2011, 10:43 AM
    I had severe tonsilitis since I was 9. At one point it was so severe I was admitted to children's ward with suspected meningitis, which turned out to be a very serious complication of tonsilitis. This carried on, until at 16 I was having tonsilitis on an average of 24 times a year according to my doctor. I had tests that showed my tonsils were so bad that a substance was leaking in to my stomach and making me sick, which was actually poisioning my system. The doctor carried out an emergency tonsillectomy in the kids department. Im 24 now and Ive had a battered immunity as in the last 10 years I've also suffered chronic anorexia, which where Id like to point out that there actually is no connection with "sugary/sweet" foods and tonsils. Not only myself who has bin avidly avoiding high sugar and carb foods, but also other anorexia sufferers Ive actually been in hospital with having tonsilitis.

Today I went to my doctor, as Ive been ill consistently with a chest infection, a lung infection and now I have a virus, which is none other than tonsilitis! I was surprised that tonsils can grow back. But my doctor said yes I know you've had them removed, but as you have a battered immunity this is part of your bodys defence mechanism, which is usually defended by the tonsils themselves. As I don't (or didnt) have tonsils, my body is under so much that it is in fact growing them back in order to prevent me from getting worse. Irony!
    deanodenise Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2012, 10:58 AM
    I know you posted this a long time ago, but how did his 2nd surgery go
    branstan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 07:55 PM
    I was 5 when my tonsils were taken out. By the time I was 12 they were back. My parents were told that couldn't do a second removal in the same area because I may bleed to death. Well, I am 56 years old now. With a full set of tonsils. I have suffered with them since I was 12. So it's true.
    JoEire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2012, 08:13 AM
    Well thanks all for making feel no better. :( Mine were removed around age 20 and seem to have grown back. Very very sore throats, making my whole body sick, swollen glands and so so ill with them. Went to doc this morning and was told tonsilitus. I was like... what? Had them out 20 years ago!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GROW hair DamN IT! Grow! [ 15 Answers ]

My hair length is about 1 inch long, I cut it about 2 years ago and continued to about every month, now I haven't cut or dyed my hair in about 2 months and it has not grown at all. I want it to grow!! What can I do, use, or whatever to get this growth process started!thanks

My tonsils: a perculiar observation! [ 2 Answers ]

This is going to sound very odd but my tonsils have lumps/bumps and even holes in them. (I guess that's not too weird and wonderful as docotrs have seen them and don't seem worried) However they produce a white solid from the holes. It's about the consistancy of a small chewed piece of bread...

Can hymens grow back? [ 4 Answers ]

I had sexual intercourse with a boyfriend and I bleed, I thought this was because I had split my hymen! This was over a year ago and I am now worried that my hymen may of grown back is that possible? If it is I'm scared that I will bleed when I have intercourse with my new boyfriend who is larger...

I'm going to have breast reduction opp. Will my breasts grow back? [ 1 Answers ]

Im going to have a breast reduction opp. I am a G cup now. Does anyone know how many bra cups they reduce you by and also will my breast go back to their huge size when I have baby ´?

How long does cat hair take to grow back? [ 2 Answers ]

We adopted 2 cats 10 months ago from the Animal Rescue Center. One cat was 5 months old at the time. He is a black and white, medium length haired cat. When we got him, the hair on his abdomen was like someone had shaved him. The ARC didn't have any back ground information on him but did say...

View more questions Search