Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worried parent Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 08:35 PM
    My 10 Year old wants to live with his dad
    Hi
    My 10 year old wants to live with his dad.His father and I have had joint custody since our 2005 divorce.We are in a week on week off situation. Well about 6 months ago his father moved in with a married woman and her daughter in a 2 bedroom apartment.

I am in the process of going for a modification of our current parenting plan.In September of 2007 my ex-husband lost his job.He has had a few jobs here and there since than but,they have only lasted a couple of weeks.His married girlfriend whom he lives with draws a disability check and gets subsidized housing to pay for the apartment.My son has a severe allergy problem and this has not stopped them from smoking around him,her daughter has some major depression issues and often lashes out which is causing my son to do the same,He doesn't have his own room over there and until recently was forced to sleep on the couch,My ex is ordered to provide major medical and hasn't done that since September of 07,My son comes home smelling like a ashtray,he has had a horrible school year due to teasing at school and some add issues which I am finally starting to get under control thinks to meds.

My ex has told my son that I am trying to take him away from his dad and is being coached on what to say if he talks to the judge.I can can tell this is the case because my son told me that his father told him that if he lived with me that I wouldn't let him see his father.

So if he has to talk to the judge I am sure that he will tell the judge that he want s to live with his father and I don't think this is best for him.So my question, if he tells the judge that he wants to live with his father do you think the judge will honor his wishes?
    worried parent Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 08:38 PM

I also forgot to add that his girlfried often talks badly about me,as well as his family.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 23, 2009, 05:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by worried parent View Post
    hi
    My 10 year old wants to live with his dad
    So my question, if he tells the judge that he wants to live with his father do you think the judge will honor his wishes?
    Very possible.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2009, 05:36 AM

A judge is not likely to weigh too heavily on the wishes of a 10 year old. More likely he will order the child to discuss what he wants with a therapist. A decent therapists should be able to tell if a child is being coached into something.

What you need to do is document the issues, the smoking, the lack of his own room, etc. I think if this can be documented the judge will not make a change in custody.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

14 year old son wants to live with his father [ 9 Answers ]

My 14 year old son (which is a twin) wants to live with his father. A little history... I have 3 boys. (17, 14, 14) Have been divorced from their father for about 12 years. I remarried (now 7 years) and moved from our home town 1 1/2 hours away when I got married again when the boys were 10, 7...

Getting Custody of my live-in 16 year old Sister [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I am 24 years old, and I am the "de facto custodian" of my 15 (almost 16) year old sister. She has been living with me in my apartment since October 2006. I provide her shelter, transportation, food, clothing, everything. I receive $25/mo from our mother to go towards a gym...

16 year old son wants to live with his dad [ 4 Answers ]

My 16-year-old son no longer wishes to live with his mother. His grades are poor and his mother is seldom home to assist him. She doesn't use the support money from me each week to put away for my son's schooling, for clothing or activities. She's even tapped into his savings account and used...

14 year old stepson wants to live with us [ 4 Answers ]

My 14 year old stepson has stated to us and his mother that he wants to come live with my husband ( his father ) and myself. My husband and his ex divorced about 9 years ago and he and I have been married for 5, together for 7. Right after the divorce hubbys ex moved ( with the son ) across the...

My 12 year old son wants to live with his dad [ 4 Answers ]

My sons father and I have been apart for almost 8 years. After about a year and a half I met someone and we have been together since. We have a 5 year old son together and my 12 year old adores his baby brother. My 12 year olds father is a great dad and has always taken care of what he has to as a...

View more questions Search