Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slrcmanu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 05:16 PM
    Is 3 Weeks old for a puppy to soon to give away?
    I have a dog in mexico and I need to bring it to me.. and I need to know how soon can I get it? :D
    Mary99 Posts: 26, Reputation: 8

May 2, 2009, 05:20 PM

A puppy should be 8-10weeks old before they can be separated from there mothers.
    kdenison07 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2009, 02:59 AM

Animals need to be weaned from their mothers before moving on. The best age to separate is 8-10wks (especially if there is travel involved) but if absolutely necessary 6-8 weeks.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 21, 2009, 06:45 AM

Definitely NOT!

There are reasons it is ILLEGAL for puppies to be sold before 8 weeks of age.
    greatdanelover3 Posts: 44, Reputation: 8

May 21, 2009, 11:18 AM

I am sorry but if you don't know the answer to that question yourself should you be really getting a dog?
    Uber Member

May 21, 2009, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by greatdanelover3 View Post
    I am sorry but if you dont know the answer to that question yourself should you be really getting a dog?
    Another great answer...
    Please stay on this forum! Lol
    peterslis Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2009, 04:52 PM

8 weeks old is the earliest you should separate them from their pack, there is so much that they need to develop in those 5 weeks, not to mention they still need mom's milk that long. 3 weeks is to early even for soft food.
    kdenison07 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2009, 10:31 PM

I must clear up the misunderstanding. I am not a breeder... my family and I have rescued dogs, cats and turtles all of my life. I grew up in a vet clinic which has made me a very good and responsible pet owner who spoils and cares for ALL of my animals, down to the cichlids. The term "absolutely necessary" was not meant as "absolutely necessary that you have a dog because you don't want to wait." I meant absolutely necessary for other situations that would require removal of the puppy for some reason. I was thinking on a rescue level and not a sales lever. So, I do apologize that I did not write more clearly.
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 12:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kdenison07 View Post
    I must clear up the misunderstanding. I am not a breeder...my family and I have rescued dogs, cats and turtles all of my life. I grew up in a vet clinic which has made me a very good and responsible pet owner who spoils and cares for ALL of my animals, down to the cichlids. The term "absolutely necessary" was not meant as "absolutely necessary that you have a dog because you don't want to wait." I meant absolutely necessary for other situations that would require removal of the puppy for some reason. I was thinking on a rescue level and not a sales lever. So, I do apologize that I did not write more clearly.
    You are absolutely right.

Under certain circumstances puppies can be removed at a very early age but they have to have special care when they are taken away so young.

If the OP just wants to have a 3 weeks old puppy because he 'can't wait' then that is wrong and if the breeder is willing to give her a dog so young they should be fined and banned from breeding.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

May 22, 2009, 08:43 PM

As everyone else has already stated ABSOLUTELY NOT. Not unless if there is an emergency situation that requires the puppy to be removed and then hand reared.

In order for a puppy to leave its mother it must be BOTH physically and mentally ready. At 3 weeks the puppy is far from either.

The owner must also be mentally ready to handle a pet, and it would appear that you aren't quite there yet by needing to ask this question. You need to spend the next 5 weeks doing some heavy duty research in order to be a decent pet owner.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 22, 2009, 08:53 PM

Like everyone else said 8-10 weeks.

The breeder that we got our beagle from will not sell a puppy before 12 weeks. She insists that they get their first set of shots and deworming before going on to their new homes, so they stay with her until 12 weeks of age.

Another reason she does this is to socialize her pups. After they are weaned and able to be removed from mommy they are with her an her family 24/7. Because of this they are very comfortable around people and much easier to transition into a home.

8 weeks minimum, 10 weeks is better, 3 weeks is illegal unless there are absolute dire circumstances that require the pup to be taken from the mom. Most times when this is the case, a responsible breeder will find a wet nurse, another dog that's nursing, to feed the pups, or hand feed (this is not for an inexperienced person to do).

So no, you cannot get your puppy at 3 weeks of age and anyone breeding dogs that tells you it's okay is a backyard breeder, puppymill owner or just doesn't give a damn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Very sick puppy 5 weeks old [ 4 Answers ]

My shihtzu had 2 puppies. One died today from hypoglycemia and anemia. The other one seems fine but is sluggish. They were born on Nov 7. The mother is weening them but I can't get the puppy to try and eat food. What am I doing wrong.

My seven weeks old puppy will not eat [ 18 Answers ]

We got a Bichon frise puppy last week and when we first brought her home she ate her food. For the last 36 hours she has been eating only a little of the food I have put down for her but she is not as hungry as she should be. I throw it away and wait till her next meal time and again she is trying...

Crying 4 weeks puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I got a 4 weeks puppy, it's her first night with me and it's not going well. She's not stopping from crying. She's in a pretty big box with some water and a bed. What should I do? Thanks.

View more questions Search