Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soxfan01 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 03:43 PM
    How do I go from a double drain sink to a single drain sink?
    I am wanting to change over my sink from a double drain sink to a single drain sink. I have bought the new sink and it has been sitting in my kitchen waiting to be installed my husband has been waiting on friends to help him install it because he is scared about the disposal. Can you please tell me and show me a diagram of how to do this please!!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 19, 2009, 03:52 PM

Okay, so you had a two compartment sink. You are replacing it with a single compartment sink with a garbage disposal? This should be fairly easy. There is only one actuall drain going into the wall, correct? Just install the sink. Then install the garbage disposal. Now there should be a tubular piece that came with the garbage disposal that hooks to the garbage disposal and then turns straight down. At the bottom of this piece is where you will put your p trap. Hopefully the trap will have enough swing in it to line up with the drain in wall. If you could post some pics of your setup, we will try to help you further.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 19, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Hey soxfan...

Simply need to hook the disposal directly to the sink and then connect the disposal to a PTRAP and that should be that... see picture.

Ignore the air gap unless you have one...

Let us know if you have more questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 19, 2009, 03:59 PM
    It's going to look like this with a high loop air gap for the DW. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 19, 2009, 04:07 PM

Great advice and pics above. Just a note, you will be able to rotate your disposal(to a certain extent) to help align trap with drian.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 19, 2009, 06:46 PM

Nice going guys...

It is simple installation. Follow Tom's instructions...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garbage disposal in single-drain sink [ 8 Answers ]

Can I have a single-drain sink and still use a garbage disposal?

Slow drain in double kitchen sink with inline vent [ 29 Answers ]

Hi Just moved to a new place, and lovin' it -- except for the kitchen sink. It drains very slow, and backs up into both bowls. I dismantled the whole construction, but no clogging in the PVC-pipes. There was a Studor Redi-Vent installed, see STUDOR (R) inVENTive Technology (TM) - Air...

New Double sink doesn't drain very well! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Guys,. So I put in a new double kitchen sink, and it's taking real long to drain!. The old single bowl sink was draining fine!! I put in PVC piping... and though I was good to go!. but it's not draining!. What's the problem?. A vent somewhere?. it wasn't clogged up before installing the...

Am trying to convert my single sink bathroom to a double sink, [ 1 Answers ]

I have a single sink in my bathroom at this point, am trying to put a double sink counter top on it. My question is if I have to put a double drain pipes or if I can put a T on the excisting one, same question for the hot, and cold water. Am just worried about the drain pipe hopefully you guys can...

View more questions Search