Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TTV Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 07:55 AM
    New Pressure tank won't fill up
    Installed a new 35 Gallon Precharged Pressure tank. Filled the first couple of times with water. Now it won't fill. It's empty. Water not getting into pressure tank. Never had a problem doing this before. Any ideas?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 19, 2009, 08:06 AM

1. What is your pressure gauge reading?
    2. Is the pump above ground or in the well?
    3. When the tank is empty, is the pump pumping?

May 19, 2009, 08:17 AM

50 pounds
    Submersible pump
    The pump will run up to 50 pounds, will kick out like its supposed to, have water to all showers, toilets, etc. but the pressure tank won't fill with water.
    The T is not plugged.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 19, 2009, 09:05 AM
    You've told us when the pump kicks off, now tell us when it kicks on and the pressure setting of the tank. Note; The tank reading must be taken with the pump shut off and the pressure bled out of the system.

May 19, 2009, 10:27 AM

Kicks in at 30, pressure setting of tank 30-50.

Reinstalled pressure tank, still echoed when tapped, sounded empty, can rock tank easily, which makes me think its empty, but somehow enough pressure for a shower.

A few minutes later... Seems to be water in it now... not echoing, definitely heavier...
    Mysterious...

I think it's good for now... (crossing fingers) thank you for your help and time!!
    Eternal Plumber

May 19, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Please answer my question, " tell us the pressure setting of the tank. Note; The tank reading must be taken with the pump shut off and the pressure bled out of the system. Regards, tom
    Uber Member

May 19, 2009, 04:17 PM

TT, when the pump cuts on it partially fills the tank with water. As you use water, the tank will empty somewhat. So don't expect the tank to always be uniformly heavy.

Additionally, with a new bladder tank, there is air above the bladder (naturally), but also air below the bladder. As you use the tank, the air below the bladder will eventually dissolve into the water and you will notice the tank filling more so than now.

Pay careful attention to SB's remarks. He's trying to take you somewhere useful, which is the setting of your tank at the valve at the top. With the tank empty, the pressure at the top of the tank should be 28#, since above you stated your cut in pressure is 30#.

May 23, 2009, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Please answer my question, " tell us the pressure setting of the tank. Note; The tank reading must be taken with the pump shut off and the pressure bled out of the system. Regards, tom
    The tank came pre pressurized at 40 lbs. According to the instructions, it requires 28 pounds for the trip switch being set at 30 to 50. So I set it to 28 pounds.

So now we have water, but extremely low pressure.
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 11:07 AM

Is the pump still cutting on at 30# and off at 50#?

May 23, 2009, 08:39 PM

Yes, on at 30 and off at 50

May 23, 2009, 08:43 PM
    Pressure down to trickle now. Not enough pressure for front load washer. Clothes are now imprisoned in locked washer. Can't shower. Three teen girls. Two boys under 10 yrs. This does not bode well. - TTV's wife.
    Eternal Plumber

May 24, 2009, 04:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TTV View Post
    pressure down to trickle now. Not enough pressure for front load washer. Clothes are now imprisoned in locked washer. Can't shower. Three teen girls. Two boys under 10 yrs. This does not bode well. - TTV's wife.
    Even if the bladder tank's completely blocked off the pump should still pump up to 50 PSI. Does the pump start up every time a draw is made? Do you have pressure and just run out fast?
    Jlisenbe makes a point,
    with a new bladder tank, there is air above the bladder (naturally), but also air below the bladder. As you use the tank, the air below the bladder will eventually dissolve into the water and you will notice the tank filling more so than now.
    Is it getting better with time? Let me know, Tom
    Uber Member

May 24, 2009, 10:59 AM

TTV, if your pump is cutting off at 50#, then the problem has to be an obstruction in a line somewhere, or possibly a water softener or water filter problem. Pumping up to 50# is what the pump is supposed to do and you state it is doing that. Do you have an outside faucet? If so, does it seem to be working all right? Are any of the indoor fixtures getting good pressure/volume?

One other thing. If the pressure is 50# but you are only getting a trickle of water, then pressure is not your problem, volume is your problem. That is why I say there has to be an obstruction in a water line, filter, or softener somewhere. By trying out various faucets, you might be able to isolate the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tank won't fill [ 2 Answers ]

I serviced the flowmaster, connected everything back up, opened the fill valve and the tank started to fill but locked with only an inch of water. I disconnected the line to the tank and turned the water on... no water coming out at all. What's up??

Water well pressure tank won't fill and pump turns off quickly [ 8 Answers ]

I have an old pressure tank on my water well without a bladder. It has no water in it and when the control unit turns on it gurgles and shuts off immediately. My well has a deep well pump (75 foot well). I get a slow trickle of water in the house and I replaced the control unit. Should I replace...

Pressure from toilet valve will not fill toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a soft water installation put in. The shut off valve is conveniently close to the garage where the clean water tank was installed. Anyhow after the installation was completed pressure worked great in every room except the master bathroom toilet. The dual sink, the shower, and...

Toilet tank doesn't fill all the way to top [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first question. Thanks in advance. We have a 3 year old house. One of our toilets has a problem. When it is flushed, it flushes everything down. The problem is when the tank is filling back up. It continues to run and run without shutting off until the lever is pulled up manually....

Toilet tank doesn't fill up all the way [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet tank does not fill up to it's capacity, which does not flush all the waste down. Have to flush two and three times before it's gone. Please help, I'm wasting gals. Of water all day every day

View more questions Search