Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Beanland Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 07:33 AM
    How to do an exterior painting estimate
    I am wondering how to accurately calculate a painting estimate for exterior jobs... Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 18, 2009, 11:16 AM

Since you are asking we must assume you are not a pro so keep in mind you can't shoot for pro pricing. Painting Tools | Paint Calculator | Color Chart | Houston Painting | Interior Home Painting | Exterior House Painting
    John Beanland Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 12:23 PM
    I have been painting for over 10 years, but mostly interior work. I've also painted plenty of decks and small jobs for exterior... however. Recently I have begun to take on bigger jobs and I am Inc my company as I have a lot of leads and estimate requests. In the past I worked at an hourly rate... but for obvious reasons that has to change. I have also hired a 4-man crew that has some experience, but I will be there at all times. I know which products to use and how to prep properly, but its giving an accurate estimate that is new to me. I found a software that seems to work... My current job is about 1244 (that is with the windows in mind... ) they want 2 coats... approximate linear feet of fascia is ~ 140 ft and trim is about 244 linear ft. I figured it calculated ;

About 170 sf / gal of paint for 2 coats
    Total of about 18 gal needed plus the usual supplies (e.g. putty, caulking, solution for powerwashing... )

I can give you exact numbers if you wish... I based it on the software that I used...

Thanks!
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

May 24, 2009, 06:39 AM

Easy answer is this.. if you feel you are a good painter/neat.. know you paints.. how to prep scrap /sand/etc.. Know how to give professional advice as to when to paint or if the materials being estimated on are in fact worth painting rather replacing.. this is what separates the pros from cons.. as for rate of pay.. if you have all the essential tools and knowhow.. I'd say between 300 and 400 a day is cool for self employment.. state want a lot of that labor rate too so this rate is fair.. oh charge more if painting high up on ladders!
    Athrunxala Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2010, 01:03 PM
    I actually just contacted some people about getting a quote. I found some local painters and had them come out a week later and gave me a free estimate, shortly after that they came back and had the job done before I knew it.
    hunter06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Apr 25, 2012, 02:35 PM
    $ 30.00 a window take that total and double for siding ,take that total and double for trim,then add supplies and other cost like repair work if you are subing add 10% on total.

30.00 window x 30 = 600 double for siding 1200 double for trim 2400 add supplies and repair if sub outadd 10%
    csiro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by John Beanland View Post
    I am wondering how to accurately calculate a painting estimate for exterior jobs... Thanks!
    It all depends on preparation and quality expected.
    You have to be experienced to give proper price.
    Just like these guys at <address removed>
    marksimon112 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2013, 01:23 AM
    The cost to Paint a House Exterior averages $1.00 - $1.79 per square foot in 2013. This House Exterior Painting cost estimate is calculated from average material costs, unit labor producitivity rates and national average hourly labor wages.
    marksimon112 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2013, 01:25 AM
    In addition, The cost estimate does not include:

1) General contractor fees for organizing and supervising the <Ad removed>. Add 12.1% to 19.3% to the total cost above if a general contractor will supervise this project.

2) Sales tax on materials and supplies.

3) Permit or inspection fees (or portion therof) required by your local building department for your overall project.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 17, 2013, 05:25 AM
    I will say this every time I see a thread like this pop up...

If you have to ask how to estimate jobs like these then you have no business taking jobs like these... period! You are almost surely doomed to failure if you think you can find really helpful information from web sites like this.

The ONLY way to personally estimate jobs like this is to work hard for years, starting with small jobs and working your way up to where you have the knowledge and experience to bid a job properly... and even then, with unknowns like weather, theft, employee issues and difficulty with payment schedules and all the other silly things that happen and it is always still hard to be sure you will make the right money!

Otherwise, you could always hire an experienced estimator and share a percentage of the job with him/her (I never liked the thought of this... estimator could have a bad day and then what? )!

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting job estimate [ 3 Answers ]

How much a have to charge for exterior job paint in concrete?

Painting Estimate [ 3 Answers ]

Hey Everyone: I'm trying out new estimating software. Let me know what you guys calculate: Room:(12x13X8) 12 x 13 8 ft High SQ FT: 400 Base board: Linear FT: 50

Painting estimate [ 1 Answers ]

Painting estimates

Residential painting estimate [ 3 Answers ]

Residential painting estimate

How to do painting estimate [ 1 Answers ]

How to do painting estimate

View more questions Search