Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    petsr4ever Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 04:17 PM
    Parvo recovery time line?
    I adopted a 9 week old pup. He was OK the first two days, but started to act funny the third day. He was very tired and stopped eating/drinking. I brought him to the vet on day 4. The vet thought that it was parasites, put fluid under his skin, and sent us home. The next day, he wasn't any better, so I brought him back. I got a different vet this time. She admitted him and has been treating him with fluids, antibiotics, anti nausea meds, pain killers, etc... He has been there for 5 days now. He was holding steady, no worse/no better, the entire time. Yesterday, while I was visiting him, he was very interested in food/water, but wouldn't eat/drink any. He just sniffed and stared at it. I was hoping for the best when I went to visit today. Unfortunately, he looked terrible. The vet said that he wiggled his IV loose through the night and went several hours without them. He had a fever for the first time in the 5 days. She said that she was going to switch to some different meds to see if they moved things in the right direction. She called me this afternoon and said that the fever was gone, and the diarrhea seems to have stopped. However, he has gone from 14lbs to 12lbs. His protein and sugar is OK, but his white blood count is very low. Fortunately, he is not yet septic and his intestines seem like they are getting better.

Here is my question. I have read that if dogs make it 8 days, they have a very good chance of pulling through. He seems so weak though, and is still refusing to eat or drink. This is day 7. I was feeling like we might be OK just because he has held on for so long. Someone commented that I was just prolonging his misery. The vet assured me that he was comfortable, but this comment has me thinking. Am I wrong to take a small amount of comfort in the fact that he has won the fight this far? Does anyone have any experience with this scenario?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 17, 2009, 04:49 PM

Yes, from what you say, he is doing fine, don't give up. But his age is against him and if he pulls through it will be because you helped him through. Nine weeks, well, pretty small,you don't say what kind of puppy. Parvo srtikes the very young ones and if they haven't had enough immune from mothers milk it is a hard go.

Tick

May 17, 2009, 05:19 PM
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm sorry worried. He is a mutt. I can see boxer, lab, and shepard in him. He has had a very rough start. He came from a shelter. I adopted his brother too. I found out that their sister died. Both boys actually got sick, but one of them bounced right back on his own. He never stopped drinking. He was just sick for a few days (out both ends), had a fever, and refused to eat. The vet checked him out to ad said that he was recovering fine on his own.

I'm just afraid of giving up too early, and equally afraid of not knowing when its becoming cruel to keep going.
    Expert

May 17, 2009, 07:18 PM

Pets4, I don't know what to say, haven't got any advice, it is a long shot not knowing how long he had with his mom, you know what I mean. Don't give up, it sounds okay, but who knows. Stay with him. If his brother made it through, then his odds are good. The sister may have been the weak one.

Keep us posted and I hope you have a good vet. Just keep offering water, most important to keep hydration.

ms. tick
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 07:45 PM
    My baby boy from a shelter (or back seat of a car):confused: had Parvo at 6 to 8 weeks. In the vet care he thrived and came back to us a couple of months later. He was part Basset, Cocker Spaniel and Bisengi. He lived to be over 17 years old and the love of all of our lives.Name:  DSC02183.JPG
Views: 26422
Size:  62.1 KB
    Good luck to you and DON'T give up! My life and my sons would never be the same with out him. :)
    bulloxer33 Posts: 20, Reputation: 5

May 18, 2009, 11:01 AM

Yea like everyone else said just keep a positive attitude I just went through re same thing with a 9 week old pup so just stay with it you'll me all right
    SierraSunsetTx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 09:18 AM
    I have a 9 week old dachsy that has parvovirus. She started showing signs last Wednesday, called a vet, they said tonsilitis on Friday. Saturday she started throwing up blood and we took her to the animal hospital where she stayed until Monday morning. She went directly to our vet, wagging her tail with bright shiny eyes. She started throwing up more blood and pooping more blood before 5pm Monday. Today, the vet said he was shocked she made it through the night and that she is fighting the parvo. He said we are not out of the woods yet, but that she threw up today and it was clear. He said that we could take her home tonight and he would just cap off the IV and we could take her back in he morning or we could just leave her there one more night, which I am all for!

I know how you feel about your pup! Im right there with you! I hope all is getting better with your baby. Im not ready to give up either. But I do know if she suffers more than what she has, then Im not going to let her suffer anymore. We lost my 3 yr old dachsy violently under the teeth of a stray husky. I honestly cannot lose another one of my babies and I pray to God she keeps on fighting this. I will pray for yours too. I know its extremely tough and exhausting. Hang in there!
    Expert

May 19, 2009, 09:21 AM

I guess we are producing pups with better immune systems because recently have noticed many pups surviving parvo whereas five years ago, l0 years ago they were not.

Tick
    greatdanelover3 Posts: 44, Reputation: 8

May 20, 2009, 08:05 PM

Don't give up on your dog! Parvo hits fast but that doesn't mean he can't live. I just won a fight with parvo and my vet gave my dog a 20% to live! I also took care of my dog at home with sub-q, fluids every hour and baby food, recommended by my vet. Try to hand feed your puppy some baby food, chicken or veil works great. I used a syringe. Make sure that your puppy keeps it down if he does try a little more two hours latter. Hope this helps and Good Luck!
    HiddenTreasures Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 6, 2009, 08:30 PM

Our first dog we ever had , had parvo at 7 weeks old. She lived until 14 years old and this was back in 1986 she had it when they had not much hope for it. Just keep the faith, watch the diet and I think it will all be fine. It took her back then about 2 years to work through it. I am sure now with what they know it will be a lot faster.

Jun 6, 2009, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I guess we are producing pups with better immune systems because recently have noticed many pups surviving parvo whereas five years ago, l0 years ago they were not.

tick
    ABSOLUTELY! I agree! I was told that our dog would not live past 2 and as you see above she was 14 yrs old and made MOMMY decide it was time the POOP!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 03:43 AM

There are also a lot better drugs around now to help them with the healing process ;)

Jun 7, 2009, 05:28 AM

Thank you for your responses. He actually came home 2 weeks ago. There were a few days there that we really didn't think that he was going to make it, and considered euthanizing to spare him the pain. At one point, the vet said that they had never seen a living dog with a white blood cell count so low. Thankfully, we all hung in there! He came home after 11 days at the vet. He was skin and bones, weak, and timid. He ate no more than a few bites here and there for another week. Every day was a struggle to find something that he was willing to try. Finally, a few days ago, he found his appetite. He is still a skinny little thing. When he stands, you can still see each rib, but the definition of his bones is starting to go away. He is still not the playful puppy that he was. He is very quiet and frail. Every day I can see a little more energy return though. I think that it will be a long road for him, but he will be fine. He's here, he's fairly healhty, and he loves to snuggle. I am so happy that we didn't loose hope and gave him the time to fight.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 07:20 AM

That's great newd petsr4ever!
    I'm glad he is finding his strength again!

Yes it will be a long road but the hardest part is over, now you can concentrate on getting him back in tip top health... congrats!

Jun 7, 2009, 07:45 AM

So very happy for you!! Have a long and happy life together!
    kneadmemel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 09:58 AM
    We have had the same sort of situation. We just adopted a 9 week old Shar-pei puppy last weekend. He was awesome the first few days and then stopped eating/drinking, not wanting to leave his crate. Took him in and he tested strong positive for parvo. He's been at the hospital fighting since Thur. night, now Sun, he's still holding on. The place we adopted him is paying for all this, thank God, we could not have afforded this. My hopes are that he will be strong enough to come home tommarow or the adoption place will keep paying the bill, his two littermates did die a few days ago. So, keep the faith, we are and hoping to have our little Remi home and growing up with our daughter.
    mkrhame Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 06:53 AM
    My puppy is surviving parvo right now. He was at the vet for 4 days, and another friend that has a puppy from the same litter, has had his dog at the vet for over a week now. My baby is home now and playing and eating and drinking

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Windows recovery? Can I create a recovery partition? [ 4 Answers ]

I had to fix a computer for a friend. He got viruses on the computer and I have to do a destructive wipe and completely reinstall a fresh copy of windows. This is not the first time it happened and I am looking for a way to cut down the time it takes to fix this thing when it happens again in...

Recovery Rebate Credit - First Time filer - Single [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US only for employment in Feb 2008. This is the first time I came to the US and did not have the eligibility to file 2007 tax return in 2008 and I did not get any stimulus payment in 2008. My question is, am I eligible for Recovery Rebate Credit while filing 2008 tax return...

Recovery rebate credit (1040) - first time 1040 filer [ 2 Answers ]

Dear tax experts, I have been an international grad student since fall 2003, and I have already filed 1040NR 5 times and this is my first time to file 1040 form. The line 9 asks whether I am qualified to get Recovery rebate credit ($600) or not. So I just want to make sure if I am qualified....

Discectomy recovery time [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend is about to have a discectomy (end of August)as a result of a slipped/prolapsed disc. Firstly, what's the likely recovery time for him resuming work as a fire fighter? And secondly We were planning a holiday to Eygpt in October, would this be wise or should we look to put it off?

View more questions Search