Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IKNOWNOTHING Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2006, 06:45 PM
    Chandelier Wiring
    I am installing a Chandelier in the dining room in a place I just bought! There was no chandelier in when I bought the house, but it had had one there. The wires from the box in the ceiling are white, black and a ground. I have a switch on each two entrances into the room. They are threeway toggle switches that turn the chandelier on. I just purchased a threeway threeway dimmer switch. The dimmer switch has two reds, a black and a green wire.
    What advise do you have for running the wires to install the chandlier?

I will follow instructions in the switch boxes!

Red to red, black to black, green to ground... how do the white and black wires in the ceiling box come into play.

My main question is: can I use the dimmer switch with the existing toggle that is there?

Any help is appreciated!

IK
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2006, 02:41 AM
    The black, white, & ground at the light simply connects to the new light fixture.

Replacing one of the toggle 3 way switches with a dimmer is simple, as long as you note which one of the three wires is the common. This wire will be connected to a black or dark screw terminal on the 3 way switch.

This wire connects to the black on the dimmer, which should be the common on the dimmer. The two remaining reds from the dimmer connect to the two remaining wires in the switch box, does not matter which to which.

Oct 2, 2006, 03:33 PM
    TK, thanks for the information, my threeway switches have wires; two reds, a black and a green. I am going to attempt to install the unit this evening! I believe I have it all in my head now!

Thanks again,
    IK

Oct 2, 2006, 08:01 PM
    My new Chandelier, has a bare ground wire running with the fixture wires. The fixture wires are the same 2X in clear plastic casings. On the mounting bar there is a green ground screw and I have a bare copper wire in the ceiling box. Shall I connect the bare ground wire to the bare copper wire in the box or to the green screw on the mounting bar?

It shouldn't matter which wire I connect of the clear fixture to the black or white in the junction box, should it?

Help!

IK
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2006, 02:52 AM
    Connect any green, bare wires to the green screws and the bar, in any order you can. These are all grounds and everything needs to be grounded.

The two wires from the fixture does matter which is which. One of these wires is "identified". It usually is ribbed on one side, small ridges of plastic, or it can have white tics or marks of some sort along the length of the wire.

This "identified" wire should be the one that connects to each screw shell of the lamp sockets, and should connect to the white neutral in the junction box.

The other wire should be the hot to each of the eyelet contact at the bottom of each lamp socket.

Hope this helps.

Oct 3, 2006, 09:50 AM
    TK... the chandelier works now. I want to install the dimmer switch to one of the threeway toggle light switches... the new dimmer switch has (4 wires),2 reds, 1 green(ground) and 1 black. My threeway toggle switches have(4 wires), 2 blacks, 1 red and a bare copper(ground). How do I connect the dimmer?

On my dimmer the top 2 wires are (green-on the left and red on the right) the bottom 2 wires are (black-on the left and red on the right)
    My threeway toggle switches are (copper-on top left and red in slot on top left) on the right side are (2 black wires)

Any help would be appreciated!

IK
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2006, 03:34 PM
    As I stated before:

Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    The black, white, & ground at the light simply connects to the new light fixture.

Replacing one of the toggle 3 way switches with a dimmer is simple, as long as you note which one of the three wires is the common. This wire will be connected to a black or dark screw terminal on the 3 way switch.

This wire connects to the black on the dimmer, which should be the common on the dimmer. The two remaining reds from the dimmer connect to the two remaining wires in the switch box, does not matter which to which.
    The bare connects to green, and vice versa.

If you lose track which the common is, you create a difficult mess to get out of, especially if you don't know how to use a tester to troubleshoot the wiring.

Oct 3, 2006, 03:47 PM
    TK, thanks everything is working now. A bit of advice to the other "rookies"... look very carefully at the wires and the switches! The wires attached to the fixture looks the same, but, on the white, it does have a ridge, and the other one is smooth and round, even though they are on the same feed.
    I also, found that on my switches, all of them, have a dark color screw, that shows they are the common.

I really appreciate what you have shown me and from now on, I will sturdy each piece carefully and use common sense and logic.

Again, I thank you!

God bless,
    IK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom chandelier and Bedrooms [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I want to install a chandelier above a bathtub. What is the minimum height do I need above the bottom of the tub? Also can more than one bedroom be on 1 acr fault breaker. And is it better to have the receptacles and lights on separtate arc faults? Do smoke detectors need to be on...

Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am connecting my wiring to a new motherboard, I have a wire running from the front of the case it says S/B SW, but the manual for the mobo has nothing to connect to that, does anyone know what connections to go to or what that means. Thanks :)

AC Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have an eletrical AC unit with a 28.2 amp compressor and 3.1 amp fan. The nameplate on the unit specifies minimum circuit breaker size of 39 amps and maximum time-delay fuse of 60 amps. Two questions: 1) what size breaker do I need for this unit in breaker box? And 2) what gauge wire do I run...

Breaker, switch, or chandelier? [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced a chandelier (which was working properly - it was for cosmetic purposes) and everything worked fine until I was screwing in the last bulb. All the other lights were on and as I was twisting the last bulb, it blew. There was a pop, burning smell, and all the lights went out. The...

Re-wiring chandelier [ 1 Answers ]

I am re-wiring an eight light chandelier that was wired in a series. I would like a formula to figure the maximum wattage for a given wire, or the wire size required to obtain a certain maximum wattage. Would the formula also work if the chandelier was not wired in series?

View more questions Search