Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lianne20 Posts: 33, Reputation: 5

Sep 30, 2006, 03:31 PM
    Jack Russell toilet training!
    We have a jack russell who we "adopted" from a lady who kept him in a small flat. He wasn't toilet trained and he just will not learn! We leave paper on the floor, take him for regular walks, and we've even tried leaving the back door open at night (our german shepherd would scare off any would-be burglars)...
    We've tried EVERYTHING we can think of, but the little terror just seems to cock his leg up and go, up the laundry basket, on the floor right in front of the paper.. everywhere! And he doesn't just pee either, YUK!
    Any suggestions? Thanks!
    metalikhan Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2006, 04:24 PM
    Terriers = terrors! Hard-headed little snots! Okay, you didn't say how old he was or if he was neutered or not, but here's some tips that might help.
    I am a very firm believer in crate training -- most dogs will adjust to their crates and think of it as their "den" and won't want to mess in it. If they do, at least the mess is confined. The oldest dog I've crate trained was about seven years old -- after a few weeks, he was very possessive of "his" den and didn't want other dogs looking at it! I've also housebroke 11 puppies in two age groups at the same time -- successfully, but I always swore never again! LOL
    It sounds like he is claiming territory when he hikes his leg in the house -- that was why I wonder about whether he's neutered. I've had to keep a terrier mix on leash -- even in the house -- during any time out of the crate until he learned the rules. Clean up with a vinegar solution to help deoderize his waste scents (the vinegar odor itself will dissipate so your house won't smell like a constant salad). For at least a couple of weeks, he should be on a strict schedule during which he is taken out for potty times. On-leash play time is separate -- by the way, an obedience course will do him a world of good. It will teach him how to learn -- I've had the best results with positive reinforcement training methods.
    I've had to resort to a vinegar/water solution in a spray bottle for longer range correction, but with my sighthounds it only took a couple of shots for them to get the idea that I meant NO! After that the only reinforcement needed was to shake the bottle at them if they started to misbehave.
    Hope this helps your JRT with toilet manners.
    Lianne20 Posts: 33, Reputation: 5

Oct 3, 2006, 12:45 AM
    Thanks for the info... we're not sure exactly how old Rudi is, we think he was about 4months when we got him so that would make him about 9months now. He hasn't been neutered but that's an option we're seriously considering! Especially as he's now trying to start fights with our german shepherd (another male)!
    All your tips sound good though so we'll definitely give them ALL a go!
    Sivad916 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 08:25 PM
    I have a 18 month old JR, HE humps my other boy dog until he gets finished. HE pee's and poops on my bed EVERY DAY. They are stubborn. He has been peeing and pooping all over my trailer house also. What to do??
    Mrs Agony Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2009, 01:20 AM
    Ok.. one thing to think of... what is the first thing you do when you wke up in the morning?? You go peeee!. and so do dogs.. so there is your starting point.. the second your dog wakes up.. get him outside right away.. he will pee out there.. guarantee it.. and then get them outside again in about 2 hrs.. and praise them a lot when they do go outside.. and ignore the bad behaviour... I have a Min pin, Jack Russel, Rat Terrier mix and he has been potty trained since he was a puppy.. and that little guy can hold it for a long time.. and does not pee on the floor or in the house.. hwen you potty train a puppy you have to make sure you are on top of them and show them where they have to go.. you can't expect them to know automaticaly were to go when they are puppies..

Good luck

Marion
    Breezie531 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 01:57 PM
    We adopted a Jack Russell who was about 3. We are still having problems potty training him. We have 2 older dogs both who are house trained and he still pees and poops in the house. He has been neutered. Right after he eats at night he poops on the floor in about the same spot even if we let him out he waits till he comes back in to poop in here. Any ideas?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 05:00 PM

Hey Breezie, this is a really old thread, you will get better luck and more answers if you start a new one. Try to be detailed as possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

DSL jack wiring [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am a total novice to DSL and don't know completely how it works with existing phone lines. Will I have to rewire all of the jacks in my house to split the phone service from the DSL or does the wall jack just split the service? The wiring in my house 25 years old and the multi colored stuff....

Dach Russell with crooked front legs [ 1 Answers ]

Our 2 year old Dacshound and Jack Russell cross is doing well, healthy, energetic, and fun. What has us concerned is that his front legs are so bowlegged and turned out to such a degree that his feet turn completely sideways... in ballet it would be first position. He doesn't seem to have a problem...

About my jack russell [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old darling jack russell. He just got a rabie shot yesterday. March 5. today he is very calm, and quite, he won't eat or drink. He just sleeps. Is this the reaction to the rabie shot. Please someone answer my question. This is my first dog. I am elderly. Got him for a...

Jack Russell turned vicious & won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

Our 15+ year old Jack Russell ***** has attacked our 15+ year old Golden Retriever ***** 6 times now. Last attacked resulted in bad bite to the Jack's nose. We have cleaned the wound and treated it with antibiotic cream and she is resting but still will not eat or drink. She looks like she is in...

Jack black [ 2 Answers ]

I have an assignment for my english class where we are supposed to write a celebrity and try to get their autograph or a letter. And I really really would like jack black or adam sandler's. does anyone know a mailing address that i could write either of these actors/ their publicist's to?

View more questions Search