Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blh82 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Unemployment in TN
    I am not sure how unemployment fully works and I can not get in touch with the unemployment office because of so many claims being filed. My question is this: I filed for unemployment due to lack of work and was approved for 26 weeks and my employer is supposed to call me back; however we don't know when this will happen for sure. If they have not called me back in 26 weeks what type of extensions can I get and will it be for the same amount or less than what I am getting now. I have been looking for a different job but no one is hiring around here and I have been substituting @ the schools part time. Just some please help me with the extensions that are available because I hear there are 2 now available but some say you can only draw 26 weeks here! :confused:
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 12, 2009, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by blh82 View Post
    I am not sure how unemployment fully works and I can not get in touch with the unemployment office because of so many claims being filed. My question is this: I filed for unemployment due to lack of work and was approved for 26 weeks and my employer is supposed to call me back; however we don't know when this will happen for sure. If they have not called me back in 26 weeks what type of extensions can I get and will it be for the same amount or less than what I am getting now. I have been looking for a different job but no one is hiring around here and I have been substituting @ the schools part time. Just some please help me with the extensions that are availabe because I hear there are 2 now available but some say you can only draw 26 weeks here! :confused:
    This is all I could find.

Please note: eligible individuals may receive up to a maximum of 26 weeks of unemployment insurance benefits during their benefit year.

Up to 13 weeks’ worth of extended benefits are payable for weeks starting on or after July 6, 2008, for the duration of
    The program, for individuals who meet the following criteria:
    1. Currently unemployed and have exhausted all regular unemployment insurance benefits.
    2. Not eligible for any other state, Federal or Canadian UI benefits.
    3. The “benefit year expiration” date on the most recent unemployment insurance claim was on or after May 1, 2007.
    An unemployment insurance claim “benefit year” is the one year following the Sunday effective date of the claim.
    4. The claimant’s total “base period” earnings are at least one and a half times the amount of wages earned during
    The base period quarter in which the claimant’s earnings were the highest.
    7 months ago
    hoightoider Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2009, 01:05 PM

Have you checked back with the Tennessee Unemployment Commission? I know unemployment administration works differently in every state, but I filed for benefits on line in my state and I never had to deal directly with my former employer. I am certain the unemployment people notified my employer of my claim in case the company choose to appeal it. I don't know why I would have to deal with the company myself.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2009, 01:08 PM

The 26 weeks is actually used for calculation and not a specific period in time.

The number of weeks you are entitled to is multiplied by the benefit amount and an award is calculated. You receive benefits until that award is used up. So, if work a week or so or a couple of days a week, your weekly benenfit may be reduced, but not the total award.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 01:20 PM

Please call Unemployment up and stay on the phone line as long as possible until you do speak with a live person at the other end. This could be as long as 2 hours but you must do this to ensure you can get the extended benefits.

Also, how do you file your weekly reports? Do you call the reports in or do you go online to do this? Some states now have the online weekly filing for their benefits.

You should not have to deal with your former employer at this point in the filing process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tn. Unemployment w-2 [ 4 Answers ]

Where to find and print tn. Unemployment w-2 on internet

Unemployment w2 [ 6 Answers ]

Is it possible to get your w2 for unemployment off the internet?

Unemployment w2 [ 8 Answers ]

How can I view my personal w2 for unemployment for2008.

Unemployment [ 4 Answers ]

How Long Does It Take To Receive My Unemployment When I'm Laid Off For A Week. My Company File Our Unemployment. What Is The Maximum Wait To Receive My Funds...

Unemployment in NJ [ 2 Answers ]

If unemployment benefits were denied, can benefits collected after 6 months of still Being unemployed?

View more questions Search