Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emamgineIMC Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Battery Light Comes on 10 min after start Brand New Battery
    1999 chrysler lhs 116500 miles brand new battery and altenator... battery light comes on about 10 minutes after starting car and driving. Brand new battery checks out fine lights flicker on and off sometimes and radio sometimes goes out for a second... now car will not start but electricity works and will start with a jump... trying to diagnos the REAL problem because the mechanic that put in new battery and alternator doesn't seem to know what's wrong...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:29 AM

I would check all battery connections, and ground, Battery standing voltage, then start and see if voltage rises(charging), or not.

May 13, 2009, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I would check all battery connections, and ground, Battery standing voltage, then start and see if voltage rises(charging), or not.
    Thank you for the speedy reply!

OK for your suggestion that was checked already because the first day the new battery was put in and I drove the car about 10 minutes the battery light came on so I took it back to the repair shop(its been about a month and a half now) and they did all you suggested and everything checked out fine. If I turn the car off and turn it back on the battery light goes off but it comes back on about 10 minutes after driving... something is fishy I'm thinking maybe its wiring? Or now maybe the starter went out but I really don't know because I am no mechanic. Even the mechanic doesn't seem to know :(
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:39 AM

Corrosion on wiring on a firewall connector or any of the alternator wires going to the dash.
    I don't know the specifics of the vehicle but it's a plausible explanation that I've run in to.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:40 AM

Does the Alternator have a Built in Regulator?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:44 AM

. Remove and fully charge the battery, even though it's new. Only then do you know what you have. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

. Adjust idle rpm. If it's too low the battery/alternator light will come on.

If the problem persists, perform these tests:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

May 13, 2009, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Corrosion on wiring on a firewall connector or any of the alternator wires going to the dash.
    I don't know the specifics of the vehicle but it's a plausable explanation that I've run in to.
    Hey you know this does sound plausible and expensive! :( but you know what I will purchase an LHS repair manual and check it out! Hopefully I don't break any of my lovely nails :p THANK YOU!

May 13, 2009, 07:48 AM
    Umm I don't know really I will have to ask the mechanic that put the battery in... I will ask him and get back to you with the answer!

May 13, 2009, 07:48 AM
    Umm I don't know really I will have to ask the mechanic that put the battery in (he also replaced the alternator at the same time)... I will ask him and get back to you with the answer!

May 13, 2009, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    . Remove and fully charge the battery, even though it's new. Only then do you know what you have. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

. Adjust idle rpm. If it's too low the battery/alternator light will come on.

If the problem persists, perform these tests:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560
    Thank you for all your advice! I will give this info to a mechanic! I would do it myself but all this sounds greek :p sometimes I wish I wasn't such a girlie girl :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 Civic Si Battery Light (I DON'T GET IT) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all, first post. For about 2 weeks now my battery light has been coming on randomly but never stays on, my sub cuts out and lights dim (mostly in the cold mornings). I checked the voltage on my alt of and on and when it was on it read 14.6 I have already replaced the battery and that...

Battery Light Keeps Flashing [ 2 Answers ]

My Dell Inspiron 1100's battery light won't stop flashing. The battery ran down three days ago and put the computer in suspend mode. I quickly plugged in the AC adapter to recharge the battery but the light has been flashing ever since. When I unplug it, the computer will run on battery power for...

Low battery light [ 1 Answers ]

The low bat lgiht is on and won't go off. How do I change the fuse and battery and make the display right itself ?

Car won't Start & It's Not The Battery! [ 4 Answers ]

When I try to start the car it doesn't make any noise at all. I tried jumping it and it starts but when I take the cables off and try again nothing. I tried switching the battery but nothing again. Will I need to check the fuse if the horn, lights, nothings coming on. Does all of that go with...

Car won't Start & It's Not The Battery! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 95 Altima. It worked fine until one morning I went to start it and got nothing. No horn, no lights, nothing at all. I assumed it had to be the battery but I got the battery tested and I was told that the battery was fine. Does anyone have any clue what the problem might be?

View more questions Search