Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sthornton Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 09:30 AM
    Rotten Egg Smell from Front Loader Washer
    When I run my front loading washing machine, the house begins to smell like rotten eggs.
    The first time the smell appeared was when I used the washer after a period of not using it (hadn't used it for about a week). The smell did not occur before this. I ran a load of bleach through the washer, but the next day it reappeared. I do not use well water. Any suggestions..?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 6, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Is this the only fixture, appliance or faucet that smells? Let me know, Tom
    gbeavers Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

May 6, 2009, 11:34 AM
    One solution may be that if the standing pipe drain that the washing machine drains into is to short or long , the sewer gas may be entering the room. The standing pipe drain is attached to a ptrap. A ptrap traps the sewer gas only if there is water in it. Without use the ptrap water evaporates and allows the sewer gas from the street pass by.

If the pipe is too long, the water goes through too fast and down the drain, leaving the trap with no water in it.
    sthornton Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Is this the only fixture, appliance or faucet that smells? Let me know, Tom
    Hi Tom.

The only time the smell occurs is when the washer is used. I checked around the kitchen sink, dishwasher, and tub (when those were in use) and no smell. It is strange because the washing machine (along with the drier) are in the garage. Yet, the smell occurs in the rooms in the house. It is striking about 5 minutes after the washer starts. Strangely, the smell is not even noticeable in the grarage where the washer is located. Thanks for responding to my post.
    Regards,
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 6, 2009, 04:01 PM
    Smells and noises are tough for us to track down without being there. Having said that perhaps this will help; EXPEL Odor Neutralizer
    This sounds like a bacteria problem. Let me know it it helps, Good luck, Tom
    dtohrn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 05:53 AM
    We have the same problem. My washer is only 4 months old and the smell only happens on my first load after not using it for a while. After reading the answers, I'm wondering if I should call on the warrantee and see if they hooked it up correctly. What would you recommend? Is the small harmful to my family?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 06:23 AM

Hi dtohrn...

The way the unit was hooked up shouldn't have anything to do with odor issues.

Let's investigate this a little more, OK? Take a few minutes and see if you can isolate the smell to other fixtures. If you can isolate the smell to the hot water only then you may have an issue with the ANODE ROD in your hot water heater IF you have a water heater, of course.

If the issue is isolated to the washing machine only then as Tom posted above, you may want to deodorize/disinfect the washing machine itself.

Check out the site Tom posted @:

Expel Odor Neutralizer

Let us know what you think...

Mark
    alfredoegypto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2011, 01:37 PM
    Try running a cycle with bleach and then running another cycle with vinegar to get rid of the front load washer smell

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore washer front loader [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Kenmore front loader washer that is five years old and is now making noises (periodic squealing). I removed the back panel and it looks like the belt is rubbing into the container. Can this belt be adjusted or am I looking at replacing this machine? Love the Kenmore, but cannot...

Smell and Smudge in a Front Loader [ 3 Answers ]

I have a front load washer that I have had now for 3 years. I don't expect a washer to last forever, but the thing still runs beautiful. My question is how do you get rid of the smell? And now I have sludge that is getting on my clothes. Until about six months ago I didn't even know they made...

Front loader washer machine [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to fix a kenmore front loader machine. It is not draining or spinning out at this time. Does any one have any ideas on how to fix it. The model number is 41741042000. I gave up the protection agreentment and it is seven year old machine. So I like to fix it myself need help.

Stoping a front loader washer from moveing around [ 1 Answers ]

Im having trouble getting my front loader wash machine to stop moveing all over the place I have it leveled but it still wants to move around when it spins any help would be grate

View more questions Search