Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    home owner Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2006, 03:52 PM
    Drivers license
    I have been told it is illegal to photo copy a driver's license. Is this true?

home owner LA CA
    Presleygall85 Posts: 50, Reputation: 6

Sep 25, 2006, 04:14 PM
    Not for records but for general use yes. What I mean is you can't photocopy your licence and put it in your wallet to use as a substitute... Cops and insurance brookers, etc. they all want the real thing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 25, 2006, 07:04 PM
    A photo copy of a drivers license is usually not acceptable for ID, but there is nothing wrong with someone making a copy to store in their files.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 25, 2006, 07:31 PM
    As scott already covered, yes it is legal for various uses, if you drive for a company they will keep a copy of it on file, if you are applying for a bank account and other areas where you have to be legally identified, they will make a copy of it.

But you can't try to use a copy for id reasons

For my background check, I have to furnish a copy every year as part of this check.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2006, 10:00 AM
    I wouldn't think so. In my state it happens every time one starts a new job. It's part of proving eligibility to work in the U.S.
    AlGrayson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2010, 08:58 PM
    Some years ago I was told by a clerk at Kinko's (now FedEx Office) in Nashville, Tn. That "the law" requires that copies of official documents like driver licenses, vehicle titles, etc. had to be either less than 75% or greater than 125% of the size of the original document. I have no idea of the veracity of this information. Perhaps it was but company policy.
    I generally prefer enlargements of documents like driver licenses as the copy is much easier to read than the original.
    Lance69 Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Feb 1, 2012, 04:01 AM
    Please be advised that the previous statements are incorrect. It is illegal to photocopy a drivers license if you are not an LEO, Agency, Security, National Security Agent (Affiliate).Apt complexes as well as Dealerships etc. cannot photocopy your driver License as it presents a security violation /issue. After 911 and the Patriot Act was enacted this procedure was enforced. The logical premise being that if companies , complexes etc. were broken into or had unscrupulous workers on site, they would have access to peoples identity (Identity theft). This in turn would give them access to court records for legal proceedings, targeted violence and hatred. Companies are being told that they only need to request a photo Id , such as work Id that has an expiration date. Also why would you give a car dealer your Id for a test drive, if they are in the car with you. I work in the Law enforcement field , military and have a paralegal back ground. If businesses have been doing things wrong for years it's only because people believe that this is the "proper way to do things" nad don't ask questions or challenge one's rationale. Educate yourself by looking up the laws.

Feb 1, 2012, 04:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance69 View Post
    educate yourself by looking up the laws.
    Normally we do not allow resurrection of old threads, and this one dates from 2006. But you raise an important point for people. So please educate us and cite (specific clause or paragraph) any law that specifically prohibits making a photocopy of a driver's license.
    Charlie1960 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 01:46 PM
    Yes, where is the law, we need more info! My neighborhood Board wants to copy our Licenses!

QUOTE: Lance69 " It is illegal to photocopy a drivers license if you are not an LEO, Agency, Security, National Security Agent (Affiliate).Apt complexes as well as Dealerships etc. cannot photocopy your driver License as it presents a security violation /issue. After 911 and the Patriot Act was enacted this procedure was enforced..."
    MasterDon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2012, 09:56 AM
    Read California VC13004 and decide for yourself.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc13004.htm

Mar 6, 2012, 01:03 PM
    MasterDon,

Thanks for the link. At least in CA it is not against the law to photocopy a driver's license as long as its obviously a photocopy.

It appears that Lance was incorrect which is probably why he never returned. I'm closing the thread now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breaker License [ 9 Answers ]

I need to find out information on "Breaker License" in the United Kingdom.

Are Interstate truck drivers federally mandated to wear seat belts? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this is the correct site to ask this Question, if it is here goes, if not please direct me to One who could answer this. Are truck drivers who travel interstate federally mandated To wear seat belts while driving their trucks? Is there a weight clause with...

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

Need Drivers [ 6 Answers ]

I am putting WIN ME on my computer and I have looked everywhere for the drivers for the Creative Labs CT4740 sound card and the Lite-On XJ-HD166s DVD/CD ROM drive. Does anyone know where I can download these drivers? I have done a Google search, went to manufacturers websites, and even to driver...

Need Drivers [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I've formated this HD and now I need drivers and IDK where to get them. Preffably ones that don't cost me money (cuz I have none) I looked at several site and most want money, they don't have it of IDK what the heck I'm looking for. So any help would be greatly apreciated =) Need drivers for:...

View more questions Search