Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dokholliday Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 03:18 PM
    Briggs and stratton vanguard 16 hp twin engine with no spark
    I have a new Briggs and Stratton Vanguard 16hp twin installed in an ATV. Unfortunately on a shakedown run the exhaust pipe loosened and fell on the wireing harness from the ignition key and the engine immediately stopped as the pipe melted through the wire insulation, I assume shorting something out. The engine's electric starter turns the engine over, but there is no pop or spark from either plug. I separated all the wires again and gave it a shot at replacing the regulator, same thing, no spark. What would be the next thing to test or replace?
    AtlrRydell Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 06:36 PM

Sorry I do not have the answer, but I have a very similar issue. My head light on my mower fell out the housing and the wire horness melted and short also. Now I have no spark either.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 07:14 PM

Look for an in-line fuse and check it. You likely blew the fuse when the wires melted and shorted. Pardon the pun but you guys got to h tighten your nuts

Apr 30, 2009, 02:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Look for an in-line fuse and check it. You likely blew the fuse when the wires melted and shorted. Pardon the pun but you guys gotta h tighten your nuts
    I've already look at the fuse, when I pull the fuse out it will not turn over/crank. When I put the fuse back in, it turns over but no fire. So it has to be something else.

Apr 30, 2009, 02:47 PM

Pull the wire and then the plug, put the wire back on the plug and let the plug be grounded againist the bloc. Turn your key to start, is there any spark at the plug tip at all?
    dokholliday Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 03:22 PM
    On my Vanguard twin I tried that first, pulling the plug and checking for spark while resting the tip grounded on the block. No spark on either plug. I was wondering if there is a ground (kill) wire attached to the ignition key to turn off the engine and if the wire or contacts in the ignition assembly may be fused. Is the magneto unlikely to fail on an engine with less than one hour time on it? If the wire harness shorts by the key is any battery power going to the coil or magneto to cause damage? If there is a kill wire on the ignition key and that wire is temporarily cut will that allow the engine to fire if that was the problem?

Apr 30, 2009, 03:33 PM

If this were a lawn tractor I'd have it nailed, they have 3 sfaety kill switches. You likely have at least one which was designed to prevent you starting the ATV in certain circumstances like not being on the seat or not being in neutral. Do you recall things you could not do before that would cause the ATV to not start?

Apr 30, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dokholliday View Post
    On my Vanguard twin I tried that first, pulling the plug and checking for spark while resting the tip grounded on the block. No spark on either plug. I was wondering if there is a ground (kill) wire attached to the ignition key to turn off the engine and if the wire or contacts in the ignition assembly may be fused. Is the magneto unlikely to fail on an engine with less than one hour time on it? If the wire harness shorts by the key is any battery power going to the coil or magneto to cause damage? If there is a kill wire on the ignition key and that wire is temporarily cut will that allow the engine to fire if that was the problem?
    I figured mines out, its one of the safety kill switches. I cut the ground/kill wire going straight to the ignition coil and now it runs fine. Basically I bypassed all kill switches. My mower has 4 (the clutch, the blade switch, the seat, and the ignition switch that kills it if you put it in reverse unless its on the caution symbol. As I stated earlier the wire harness to my head lamp cause the short, which is connected straight to the ignition switch. So I think its grounded in the ignition switch or it's damaged. I'm going to order one for 13 bucks. And will post results. Hopes this helps!

Apr 30, 2009, 07:08 PM

So attlrrydell that means you have a late model Craftman with the ROS on the igniton. They tried Reverse Operation System but I don't know if it there for 2009.

May 1, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    So attlrrydell that means you have a late model Craftman with the ROS on the igniton. they tried Reverse Operation System but I don't know if it there for 2009.
    Well mines is a 2006 Murray Select 21hp V-Twin Intek 46 inch cut with auto drive trany.
    Thorb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 09:51 PM

Just lurking for possible similar problems as mine...
    My 16 twin lost spark... got it back and lost it again...
    You guys have me thinking a kill switch is the problem. I will try disconnecting the coil ground wire and see if that gets my spark back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 16-HP Vanguard V-Twin oil capacity [ 3 Answers ]

I recently acquired a lightly used Briggs & Stratton 16-HP Vanguard V-Twin powered 10KW generator, of course, with no manual. Fired it up once and all was fine. Decided it needed an oil and filter change. Looked online for oil capacity and found one place that stated 3 quarts for this...

Briggs and Stratton Vanguard 18 hp engine [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to drain the oil on a Vanguard Briggs and Stratton 18 hp engine? I have located the drain plug but there is some kind of plastic fitting over it with a flip-off nozzle on the end as if this is where the oil drains. It does not appear that the plastic fitting comes off. So,...

Briggs and Stratton opposed twin NO SPARK [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old dresser lawn tractor. It was running when I parked it last fall. Now it cranks but won't start. I can't detect any spark. I removed the kill wire from the magneto & jumped the solenoid; spins, but still no spark. There are interlocks on the mower engage lever, but the clutch & seat...

Briggs and Stratton Vanguard OHV Engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new Briggs and Stratton 8000 watt generator powered by a Vanguard 15 hp overhead valve engine.Since it came from the factory it has a popping sound from the muffler as it runs. It seems as though there is a misfire. The spark plug has been changed and the spark is in spec. Service dealers...

Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 16HP OHV No Spark? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, Seen several threads along this line but nothing that seems to help me. I have a Briggs & Stratton Model 303777 Vanguard (on a 1994 Snapper SR170 Rider). The engine turns over well, but will not start. I am not getting any "thump" when it turns. I am not hearing any clicking from the...

View more questions Search