Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cassandra1232 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 08:41 AM
    present and future value tables
    I am stuck on which table to use and how many periods for this question =[ someone help please

A firm leases equipment under a capital lease (analogous to an installment purchase) that calls for twelve semiannual payments of $39,014.40. The first payment is due at the inception of the lease. The annual rate on the lease is 6%. What is the value of the leased asset at inception of the lease?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 01:21 AM

Any time there is a series of payments like that, it makes it an annuity. Your tables maybe say "... value of $1 at end of x payments" or something like that rather than calling it an annuity. (The NON-annuity charts just say "present/future value of $1" -- so not those.

When figuring whether it's future or present value of an annuity, think where the value is relative to the payments. That is, a present value is something that has a total now and the payments will come off that total. A future value is where you have nothing now and the payments will grow into the total. Which is this?

The number of periods is the same as the number of payments. But the interest rate (when using tables) has to match the periods. Your periods are semi-annual. Your interest rate is quoted annually. How much would that be semi-annually?

And... since the first payment is at the time of the lease "inception" that is meaning the first payment is at the beginning of the period, instead of at the end. There are different ways that can be taken care of. Check your tables and see if you have ones for "annuity due." An ordinary annuity, or just annuity, is when the payments are made at the end of the period. Payments made at the biegnning of a period is an annuity due. So if you have that table, just use it and don't worry about it. If not, I know of two other ways, but you may be required to do this a specific way and I'd rather you check your text and see if you can find an illustration of how they do this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Present value and Future value [ 2 Answers ]

Please I need help to resolve this. I want to know if I am doing the correct calculations. They gave this information: Kiddy Toy Corporation needs to acquire the use of a machine to be used in its manufacturing process. The machine needed is manufactured by Lollie Corp. The machine can be...

Present and future value [ 1 Answers ]

the present value of $1,552.90 due in 10 years at 12% (occurs annually)

I am pretty sure I did this right but I want to make sure... am I correct in solving for the present value? It says the present value of $1,552.90 due in 10 years at 12%?

1. If you have 7.00 now and 8.10 in 3 years what is the effective annual interest rate? 2. If you have 9.00 now and 11.84 in 7 years what is the effective annual interest rate? Show how you got the formula as I am a little confused on this as my excel buttons will not work. ...

Present Value and Future Value [ 2 Answers ]

A rich godfather has offered you a choice of one of the three following alternatives: $10,000 now; $2,000 a year for eight years; or $24,000 at the end of eight years. Assuming you could earn 11 percent annually, which alternative should you choose? If you could earn 12 percent annually, would you...

View more questions Search