Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sslk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2006, 10:19 AM
    My dog is too thin and eats very little
    Hi!
    I have 4 dogs, 2 of which are Jindo's brother & sister(15 months old). Lucy got off her leash last Monday and by the grace of god found her way back home 2 days later, which I think explains the 5 lbs drop in her weight to 30 lbs. The problem is, at her original weight of 35lbs she was too thin, where her ribs were exposed, now its worse. I took her to the vet yesterday to have her checked out and discuss her weight problem. I was informed I should give her cottage cheese, pre-cooked chicken and mix it in with her dry dog food (lamb & rice) and/or an anxiety pill to calm her down because she is very skittish and the pill will increase her appetite. Anything just to get her to eat more. My little girl has some issues and we are going to get through them, however, any thoughts on what I can give her along with her dry dog food that is healthy for her. I don't like to give my kids table food.
    JEAGG Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Sep 21, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Your dog may benefit from, 2 or 3 small meals through out the day, and also you may want to try, wheat germ oil. Usually a teaspoon . If you can't find that, vegetabe oil may will do, It helps put on weight . Raw egg is good a few times a week over the dry feed to help motivate the dog to eat. Regular exercise will help the dog build and appetite
    Mandy Girl Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Jun 16, 2007, 11:22 AM
    I think you should put a little piece of meat in her food so she eats to find the meat. Do it every day until she is bigger.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2007, 07:17 PM
    In general I agree the less table food the better. Raw eggs are a terrible idea. Salmonella is much more common now than in the 50's However, I seldom tell people to ignore their vet's advice. Also in general, I feel tempting a non eating dog with rich food is wrong. Yours may be the case for tempting it with richer food. You could also try a small breed puppy chow. I think they are the most calorie dense dog chow available.

This isn't the first time the default to approve has caused me to give a terrible answer an approval. Once reputation is given, there is no changing it.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2007, 07:04 AM
    labman is correct on this. sslk, what was originally recommended are all constructive ideas. Plain chicken and cottage cheese are easier on her stomach. Right now, anything too rich, such as meat or eggs will make her ill and she will become fussier about eating her chow. I would try to tempt her with the small puppy chow as labman suggests or a working dog chow. You may want to give her just a very little bit of plain boiled chicken or use a little warm water (or plain chicken broth) mixed in the chow to create a gravy that she will find tempting. If these tricks don't work, you may want to consider the medication. If this wasn't a suggestion by your vet, please speak with him/her about it. I don't know what medication was suggested but if she is a dog with issues and it will stimulate the appetite, you need to consider this option. Labman has some suggestions on confidence building exercises if I am not mistaken. You may want to repost here and speak to him about them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my dog is too thin [ 8 Answers ]

My doberman is only 2 and she has a healthy appetite but she has always been so thin. You can see her bones. Our other doberman is 1 and she is not skinny at all, they eat the same food at the same times. Why is my 2 yr old so skinny. She doesn't have worms or any other other health issues...

Puppy eats everything on trips outside [ 6 Answers ]

My 8 week old puppy eats everything of interest when she's outside on a leash. I mean everything. Leaves, grass, weeds, mulch, stones from the driveway, etc. What to do? She's in a harness and about the only way to prevent her from eating all this stuff is to hold the leash tightly so she can't put...

Help! My Puppy Eats Her Own Teeth [ 3 Answers ]

My smooth fox terrier mix is eating her teeth!! Help help help :eek: She just started teething about almost a month ago now... And I asked my friends for help and they said it "could" be a good thing.. Because teeth is a bone bone has calcium and so on... But I'm getting really worried.. ...

View more questions Search