Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lt_prakash Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Connect to an intranet through DSL modem
    I need to connect a computer at a distance of about 2km(along an existing line) with a LAN(Intranet) for the purpose of accessing database files on the LAN. An existing telephone line ckt for the distance (with or without an EPABX in between) is available. The LAN runs Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP.

Hitherto I was planning to connect it using DSL modems at either end. However I found from one of the dicussions on the forum that it would not work.

Please advise me as to what sort of hardware and software would be required to establish the connection to the LAN(intranet):- The constraint being the media (Cu line) in between.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 21, 2006, 11:26 AM
    First, an intranet and a LAN are two different things. A LAN is a collection of computing devices, connected together to share resources and communicate among themselves. An Intranet is the use of Internet protocols (WEB servers, e-mail, etc.) but in a closed system, only open to people on the LAN or WAN.

You actually have several options depending on whether you are connecting to an Intranet or not. Do you have an IT person who can advise you?

Probably the best way would be to create a VPN that you can use to log into the LAN over the Internet.

Sep 21, 2006, 12:44 PM
    Dear Scottgem,
    Thanks for a quick reply.
    Sorry, if I appear a bit confused. I understand that intranet is a private network (not connected to internet/www) using TCP/IP.

To amplify my earlier question: The LAN to be connected to is already existing. It uses fiber optic media and is spread over an area of radius 500m. It is not connected to internet but it runs TCP/IP stack. Think that qualifies it to be an intranet. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have a stand alone at 2Km distance (from the nearest point of LAN), again without internet connectivity. An application in the stand-alone needs to connect to the LAN to have real time access of a database on one of the servers/workstations. The constraint is the media in between. There is a old but working telephone cable (unshielded twisted pair) in between due to limited budget for terminal equipment only.
    The best would be if I am able to be part of that LAN so that I can map the required files as a local drive. Is it possible with the existing media.
    Please suggest how? If not what is the alternative?
    Thanks again

Sep 21, 2006, 01:04 PM
    No, a LAN is a private network, using Ethernet and TCP/IP. A LAN may or may not be connected to the Internet. An Intranet is the use of Internet protocols on a LAN or WAN that is only available to uses of that LAN/WAN.

You can have a LAN without having an Intranet on it.

Again using a VPN sounds like your best alternative.

Sep 21, 2006, 02:15 PM
    Thanks,
    I now understand the difference between a LAN and an intranet. "An intranet is a LAN/WAN. A LAN need not be an intranet".
    My problem with VPN is that my standalone does not have Internet connection. Neither it has telephone connection to the local PSTN. The telephone cable mentioned is connected to an EPABX internal to the school campus.
    Is it possible that "I connect my remote standalone to one end of the 2Km cable thru a DSL router --Disconnect the other end from the EPABX -- Connect the loose end through some device to an existing LAN node/hub" to establish an always on connection with the LAN. What would be the device?

Parakash
    jham_lindow Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2006, 03:38 PM
    Have you tried making a VPN connection. If you did then is the computer you want to connect to accept incoming connections. If that didn't help than please contact me asap and if you have MSN messenger, or Yahoo IM let me configure them remotely. Hope this helped. :D :D :D If not then you can PM me all the angery words you have to say

Sep 21, 2006, 04:56 PM
    If the LAN has not Interent access how do you expect to connect to it? Dial up would be too slow. The only other option is a direct connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Modem com port 4 [ 4 Answers ]

I have come across this problem a few times but can never remember how I fixed it. My modem is installing on COM port 4, I only have COM port 1 and 2. I have NO resource conflicts, have uninstalled and reinstalled many times with the same result. Thanks Dan

I need dsl modem help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm planning on getting a dsl modem connection for my room know how would this thing be set up in my room I already have a phone jack in my room which I don't use atm could I use this or would some guy come in amd make a new one

Modem driver [ 6 Answers ]

I'm looking for a driver for my modem.. it's a Motorola FM-56pci/mt-us.

Cable Modem [ 8 Answers ]

Can a cable modem be connected to any wall jack that a TV works in any room? Or does the Cable modem need to be isolated back to the coax coming in from the street and a special splitter needed. Thanks

Modem Types [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Could anyone advise me on what I have to do if I currently have a broadband connection (all connected up and installed) in my home but my PC only seems to have a 56k modem installed. Ie: Is there still a way I can connect to the internet on my PC via my broadband cable? The connector on the...

View more questions Search