Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

May 11, 2006, 03:12 PM
    Brake fluid loss
    My 1993 Honda Civic requires topping up of the brake fluid every 3 months due to the light coming on.

There are no leaks in the master cylinder and no leaks at the brake pads (I checked all 4 wheels). There is also no dripping of brake fluid in my driveway.

This has been happening for 2 years now. Any clues to where this fluid is going?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 12, 2006, 09:18 AM
    You probably know this in the back of your mind:
    You've got to have a leak somewhere.
    Since you're only adding it once every 3 months, it's no doubt very small.
    Look close at every connection if you're super interested in locating it... but if it were me I'd rather check it every couple weeks and add a bit every three months than crawl around looking for where to spend some repair dollars.

Just my thought on it :)
    badpenny Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

May 12, 2006, 09:41 AM
    You have a pinhole leak in one of your caliper boots. And that little over 3 months. Wow, you are so lucky. But yeah, that is where I would start. That or the drums on the back have a pin hole in them. You will have to pull the drum to check. But an easy way to check would be to get under it and look at the backing plate, you should see a small dark spot on the back. If so, you might consider getting a new caliper drum for the rears.

May 12, 2006, 10:03 AM
    Let's see;
    1 bottle of brake fluid (will fill up my reservoir 4 X) per year = $5.50.
    Parts and service to replace unknown caliper and what ever else may be causing the loss of fluid = $1500.00.

I think I'll put up with it!

May 12, 2006, 10:22 AM
    In automotive terms it is referred to as a seep, not a leak!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 09:10 AM
    Received via PM:
    Quote Originally Posted by bhayne
    I found it and fixed it. The bolts on the brake fluid reservoir were loose.

I noticed the black paint on the vacuum assist drum for the brakes was pealing off and saw a drip from the reservoir.

Case closed!!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Now that you solved the leak, this might be a good time to change all of the brake fluid.

Sep 20, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Well, it's the Fall. I'll put that on the Spring maintenance schedule when I can do it in the warm sun.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Such a leak allows air and moisture into the system. Changing the fluid would improve the dry boiling point, wet boiling point, corrosion protection, brake responsiveness, and overall braking safety, among other things. Brake fluid is the most important component of the brake system.

Sep 20, 2006, 02:17 PM
    I know. You can't stop without it! But mine is going to last another 6 months!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fluid mechanics [ 1 Answers ]

Sir If I send you some short question in fluid mechanics could you respond to me .

Brake Lights [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Z71 Truck. The brake lights stay on . I can't find the problem.

Cervical fluid [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble distinguishing wet/sticky creamy, etc... I have an estimated fertile time of thurs June 9, 10, 11, with possible o on 12th. I am seeing signs of approaching o in my cervical fluid. I have been dry as the desert until today. They say you start sticky, then creamy, then wet...

2000 Civic EX Brake clicking [ 3 Answers ]

About 4 months ago I had the front brake pads on my 2000 civic ex replaced and the rotors turned. As soon as the 90 day parts & labor warranty expired I began to notice a clicking noise in the brakes whenever I go to stop. Anybody have any idea what may cause this?

Brake problems on '85 towncar [ 4 Answers ]

Today my daughter came home from school and said her brake light went on. She said she had to push really hard to get the brakes to work. I checked the brake fluid, thinking it might need filling - but it seemed fine. Then I drove the vehicle - it seems as though the brakes are gone. If you...

View more questions Search