Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gagnen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Installing wall tiles over top existing wall tiles
    I am renovating a bathroom and want to change the tiles in the shower. I was wondering if I could install the new tiles overtop the existing tiles to avoid destroying the wall and what steps to follow if this can be done. The existing tile is in great shape but not the desired colour.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 12:42 PM

I think you're going to have a lot of trouble trying to get new tiles to adhere to old tiles. When it fails (and it will), you'll have to throw away the newer tiles and start over. You'll be farther ahead to remove the old tiles.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 07:21 PM

I agree, you should tear out the old tiles. Double tickness with cause trouble with the handles and escutcheon plates and you never know if the old tile was installed in the correct fashion and will last another 20 years. 20 years ago Hardiebackre, Duroroick, Wonderboard and Shluter Ditra wrere not invented and that's what we all use now under a shower tile wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing wall tiles over existing tile [ 5 Answers ]

We have a fireplace with some old tiles, which we'd like to replace. Question is, can we just install over the existing tiles, or must we remove the existing tiles?

Cracked wall tiles [ 3 Answers ]

we have newly laid wall tiles that have now cracked (very faint). These tiles are large (3' x 1') laid horizontally on cement board, on timber framing. Any ideads on why we are getting the cracking?

Removing tiles on bathroom wall [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed the other day that the tile on my bathroom wall is falling apart. It looks like that its on a plasterboard. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Installing 12 X 12 mirror tiles on wall [ 1 Answers ]

How do I make cutouts for electrical outlets? What tool or tools do I use?

Hardibacker vs Wonderboard for Wall Tiles [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone have advice on which of these is better as a substrate for a tiled shower wall?

View more questions Search