Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Taukame Posts: 92, Reputation: 26

Jun 23, 2006, 06:20 PM
    Hypnosis for quitting smoking
    I am thinking of trying hypnosis to quit smoking. Has anybody tried it, or had it work for them. I'm going to go to a session in July to see what it's all about. I want to quit smoking and I've heard that there are a lot of things to help, I think that to change your behaviour you have to change the way you feel about the behaviour. Any ideas, suggestions, anything would be helpful.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 23, 2006, 06:42 PM
    The one I attended was a farce. It was supposedly a world renowned famous hypocrite.. Uhh I mean tist.. It turned out to be a vitamin seminar.
    After the " hypnosis" you are told the only way to make it work is if you buy these 300.00 vitamins.
    I did get a refund after the session// but wasted 3 hours of my life for nothing.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 23, 2006, 07:32 PM
    The single most factor in my ability to quit smoking was the ever growing desire to be quit. I kept quitting until I could stay quit! Its been almost a decade now and it was one of the wisest, nicest, smartest, coolest things I have ever done for myself. I hope that helps shift your perspective, even if only just a little. Keep exploring and thanks for a good post!
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jun 23, 2006, 07:53 PM
    My father was a hypnotists before he died and he always said he was 95% successful. The 5% that didn't quit was because they didn't want to. If you really want to, yes there is a possibility. The one Stormy went to was a scam. From what I remember, hypnotists plant a trigger to help you stop. If you have the desire, they may have you tug on your ear and the desire is supposed to go away. I think the way val quit is probably the best least expensive way to do it. It is the same as over eating. Take the influence away from you. If you desire to have a cigarette, try to think of something else. I know it is not easy. I have been trying ot get my mother o stop smoking but she won't. She wants to but won't try. If the seminar is free and you have nothing else to do, it may not hurt to go to it but other than that I don't think you should waste the time or money. I hope this helps.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 23, 2006, 08:01 PM
    Way back when, I had a clinic, and used hypnosis, I had a lot of luck with stop smoking. But it still takes effort and some changing of life style with it.
    Taukame Posts: 92, Reputation: 26

Jun 24, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Thanks for all the responses. The seminar I'm going to is on five bucks and it right near where I will be that day so I think I will try it anyway. Is there anyway I can determine if the hypnotist I am going to is good? And is it possible for the hypnotist to put something positive in the place of smoking?
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 24, 2006, 08:14 AM
    My uncle smoked 2 1/2 packs a day when he went to see one. After not smoking for 2 hours in the seminar, he was repelled by the smell of butts in his car ashtray, dumped them out, and never smoked again. I think it did help him, and anything that may help is worth trying. The desire must be there.
    There is a short-lived physical craving, but a longer lasting psychological one, which is tied to your daily routine and is harder to break. If you drink coffee with your cig, it will be tough the first few times to drink coffee without smoking.
    Things you do that can be associated with smoking will need replacements.
    natedoggg Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2006, 09:57 AM
    I think it's a mental placebo effect. If you really want to quit smoking, you believe that the hypnosis has worked and that is what really makes you stop.
    transcends Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Hi Taukame,
    I hope your stop smoking session went well. Just wanted to echo the opinion of others in that hypnosis is not a cure-all and like other forms of help, can be the "bees knees" for some and not so hot for others.

In my experience, as valinors_sorrow has said, it is essential that you have the desire to quit for your own good reasons and are not quitting because someone else is trying to persuade you to stop.

More than anything though, those that I see, succeed, because they have one thing in common; persistence.

Best wishes
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Ok, at 5 bucks be wary, most of the better real seminars are going to be 40 to 60 dollars, they should try and hypnotise everyone in the room, and do it a few times over a couple of hours, And give some good health info.

They also should try and sell you a tape of stop smoking to listen to at home every few days ( buy it, that is what keeps you quit)

It can work if you want it to.
    QuickWitKat Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 04:39 PM
    I smoked 3 packs a day for 5 years. I went to a hynosis seminar and have been smoke free for almost 7 years. You have to really want to quit and I won't lie the first 2 months are hell, but then the body gets used to not having the nicotine etc. and begins to heal itself. If you quit you might have your physician check your thyroid, mine quit after I stopped smoking.
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Jul 3, 2007, 06:35 PM
    I've been hypnotised twice to quit smoking. The first time it was as if I had never smoked before. I did a stupid thing and started back 2 years later. The second time it would have worked but I had already decided in my head that rather than quiting cold turkey and gaining all that weight I'd cut back. Even cutting back on smoking from hypnosis worked, but again I was gaining weight so I went back to my old habit. Although, I still don't smoke as much as I was. It's all about how badly you really want to quit to how well it works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Quitting smoking [ 11 Answers ]

Time to share all of your tips and techniques. I am a 19 year addict and my husband is a 10 year addict. We both are quitting together, cold turkey. Any suggestions?? Hypatia:confused:

Quitting Smoking and its associated Drama [ 25 Answers ]

Hi, I wasn't quite sure where exactly to post this question so I took the liberty of reasoning that surely since it regards my health then why not in this section. I am a caucasian male in his late twenties who has,lets say, sometimes succumbed to lifes guilty pleasures and is noticing a effect...

Smoking [ 21 Answers ]

Is smoking dope every day bad for you? More bad than smoking cigarettes?

Fear of heights and hypnosis [ 8 Answers ]

I've heard a lot of success stories about the use of hypnosis to quit smoking or loose weight, but what about getting rid of, or at least lessening a phobia? My fear of heights has only gotten worse and I'm worried that it's starting to affect my children. I freak out if they get to close to our...

Smoking and dancing [ 14 Answers ]

This is sort of a similar question to the one I asked about wine and spirits. I know that there are some churches that prohibit smoking and dancing (not necessarily both at the same time lol). So my question is, as before, where do these beliefs come from? Dancing is mentioned lots of times in the...

View more questions Search