Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chloe95 Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Apr 18, 2009, 10:06 AM
    How many weeks until labour?
    Hi,

I don't know if I put this in the correct catogry but my cat is pregnant and I was wondering if any knew how many weeks you can tell until they give birth. She has a fairly round belly and she is eating a lot and her nipples are much bigger and they look a bit sore/cracked but no milk has come out yet. She keeps sleeping a lot and if becoming less childish. My cat is only 10months old and when we where taking her to get neuted, the vet said that she was pregnant and it was to the late to abort them. Im quite scared that her kittens will be still born and I read that even the mother can die. Please help me see how many weeks she has been pregnant or how many weeks she was got until labour/giving birth. Thank you for anyone who replies :)
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

Apr 18, 2009, 10:43 AM

You will see her seeking out a private space/hidden (nesting) and soon after this happens she will give birth.

Apr 18, 2009, 11:00 AM

Cat labor has two stages - the beginning stage of nesting and contractions, and the second stage of stronger contractions and the birth of kittens.

During the first stage of cat labor, she will start showing these symptoms:

Nesting, including kneading/rearranging her bed or maternity box

Rapid Breathing/Rapid Pulse Rate

Trembling

Fluid May Drip From Nipples

She will be uncomfortable during the first stage of her labor, because the uterine contractions have begun and the kittens are moving into birthing position. She may have trouble getting comfortable and can shift or change positions a lot during this stage.

The first stage of cat labor can last from 12 to 24 hours. If she is a first time mom, she may be on the upper end of this scale.

If she is in the first stage of labor for longer than 24 hours, or moves to the second stage then back to the first, contact your vet for advice.

The signs that she has moved to the second stage of labor are:

Forceful Straining, the contractions have gotten very strong and she is using her abdominal muscles to push

Fluid At Her Genitals, this does not appear for all cats

Crying Out, Vocalization

She will probably lay down during the cat birth, either on her side or on her chest.

It can take up to an hour for the first kitten to be born after she enters the second stage of labor.

Once the nose and paws of the kitten appear, the kitten should be born within 15 minutes. Call your vet if the birth of the kitten is past 15 minutes, or if the nose and feet appear then disappear during her pushing.

Some kittens are born feet first, as long as the delivery is moving along normally this should be fine.

After the kitten is born, the mother should nip the amniotic sac for the kitten to take its first breath! If she is a first time mom or very nervous, you may have to show her this. If she doesn't make a motion to do this right after the birth, step in and break the sac.

There is also a third stage to her labor and birth process - the stage of rest in between kittens. Some cats lay still, others may get up for a minute to walk around and stretch.

Have a bowl of water nearby, so she can refresh herself before the next kitten.

Sometimes the rest period is a few minutes between kittens, sometimes over an hour. She may use this time to groom her new babies and feed them.

The usual litter is three to five kittens, so she may be in labor for quite a while with rest in between.

If she is comfortable with someone being near her during the process, she may enjoy petting and words of encouragement. If she prefers quiet, do quick frequent checks to make sure she and the kittens are doing fine.

You will have fun with your new cat family!

Apr 18, 2009, 11:05 AM

Wow, thanks!
    Should I try and make a box with padded blankets and towels in or should I just wait for her to find the perfect spot? If I do need to make a bed for her should I put it near the cat litter tray and food (in the kitchen) or shall I put it in the living room so I can keep watching without having to keep going in the kitchen and disturbing her?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 11:09 AM

Make sure the net box is somewhere warm and where there will be as little human traffic as possible

Apr 18, 2009, 11:11 AM

Thanks!
    Geez, you have to go through so much for pets! Lol 100% worth it though!

Apr 18, 2009, 11:12 AM

No need to really... she will pick her own spot.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 11:12 AM

Yep, pets are for life, both yours and theirs :)

Apr 18, 2009, 11:35 AM

My two other cats(sisters) now 11 years old have both had 3 kittens each in the previous years. I absolutley love cats & kittens! They are the cutest when they are a couple of weeks old and they are all fluffy and springing around lol. Thanks everyone for the information and if you would like, I can keep you updated? X
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 11:47 AM

Probably a good idea to get your cats fixed though.

There are so many cats in shelters that need to be adopted without people breeding multiple litters from their own cats :)

Apr 18, 2009, 11:52 AM

Oh my other two cats have been neuted! It's just my youngest cat who hasn't been neuted yet but after she has given birth she's going to the vet! We actually where going to the vet but we got told that she was pregnant and that she was too far in to get aborted. Don't worry there will be no more kittens after this lot! Lol

Apr 18, 2009, 11:55 AM

Update will be nice...
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 12:24 PM

That's all right then :) I'll put my crabby voice away :D

Apr 19, 2009, 01:23 AM

Oh by the way, should I still let my cat outdoors? We have a cat litter tray so it shouldn't stop her going to the toilet but I didn't know if it could be bad for her?
    Thank you to shazamataz and Krazi!
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 04:16 AM

I don't see a problem in letting her outdoors supervised as long as she is up to date with ver vaccinations.
    grandmaof1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Apr 21, 2009, 05:32 AM

Cats usually have a 63 day gestation period.

Apr 21, 2009, 09:00 AM

:D :p

Apr 22, 2009, 06:22 PM

Looking forward to the pics...

:D
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

May 1, 2009, 01:16 AM

Watch her after she gives birth if there is too much going on she will try to move the babies to a place where you can't get to them. My cat wnet up under my bed where I couldn't reach her, or the babies. Also speaking from experience get her fixed when the babies are 8 weeks old or she'll get pregnant again.

May 1, 2009, 08:24 AM

Okay thanks! I can't wait until they are born! I have already felt one kick! It was so sweet! :) xxx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stuck with my ex until our lease is up [ 47 Answers ]

I broke up with my ex after along term relatioship because she just wasn't helping work on our relationship and said she didn't feel the same about me as she used to. We were going to go to counseling to try and make it work but I figured if she feels that way then why bother. We both want to...

It Was All Perfect With Him, until My Best Friend Showed Up Again. [ 2 Answers ]

So, Here's The Whole Story. 26 Days Ago, Me And My Ex Started Dating. 30 Days Before That. His Ex Broke Up With Him. So For A While After They Broke Up, He Found Out I Liked Him. His Ex, Things Moved Semingly Slow.

Hadn't have menses until take medicine [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir/Ma'am I'm 21years old my periods had start from 15. From 2 years back I hadn't have my periods until I take medicine. It's a regular problem or could I be infertile after marriage There are any treatment can cure my problem. I never had sex till now. Or also tell...

View more questions Search