Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cypress e Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Money hungry wife
    I have been married 6 years and am in the middle of a divorce. The last year of which we have been living apart.I have 1 child and I am paying child support. My wife now want part of my pension and alimony,is she entitled to it? She has taken me for a ride, due to her spending, I had to go into bankruptcy, which she wanted nothing to do with. She is a Day Care provider with her sister and a friend.Since we have been married,they started a corporation and she has nothing in her name, everything is in her sisters name.They opened a second Day Care in the house that they bought under the corporation. She always had her own bank account and I never knew how much she made,she claims she makes minimum wage. I paid all the bills in the house,she never contributed and when she did have money to buy something she said her sister gave it to her. I do not know where I stand,but it feels like I am in quicksand because I am sinking fast. Any help!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2006, 07:22 PM
    Who owns the corporation?

Speak with your divorce attorney about this.

But if your wife is hiding money, hiring a forensic accountant looks to be your next step.

Again, speak with your divorce attorney about this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 14, 2006, 07:51 PM
    Yes, if she is on the board of the corporation or listed in its filing, then she will have income there.

It is common in divorce for one party or the other to try and hide money from the court, and it is the duty of the other party to hire people to find it and show the court.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Unfortunately, in most states, she's entitled to half of all jointly acquired property and assets and possibly alimony. The good news is that the judge can and probably will compel her to disclose her earnings and interest in the day care business as well as what's in her bank accounts. Have your lawyer pursue this. Is the child for whom you're paying support hers or someone else's? The amount of child support you're paying for this child will come into play when determining any obligation you have to her.

Sep 15, 2006, 08:02 PM
    Her father passed away before we were married and left the house to my wife, her sister and her brother. The house is now under her sisters name, she has nothing in her name.This was also her 3rd marriage. I think the first marriage was so she could get her green card, because it lasted less than a year.Her 2nd marriage she did so the guy could get his green card. He paid her $10,000, when they went for the hearing and he was not granted his green card, they got divorced.I knew all this when I met her,but I never thought I would be the next one she used.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cypress e
    her father passed away before we were married and left the house to my wife, her sister and her brother. The house is now under her sisters name, she has nothing in her name.This was also her 3rd marriage. I think the first marriage was so she could get her green card, because it lasted less than a year.Her 2nd marriage she did so the guy could get his green card. He paid her $10,000, when they went for the hearing and he was not granted his green card, they got divorced.I knew all this when I met her,but I never thought I would be the next one she used.

I am sorry to hear all this, it does sound like you walked into a mine field.

But, who owns the corporation? You spoke of the house, but what of the corporation?

Anyway, you need a divorce attorney ASAP, who will most likely have you hire a forensic accountant to see where these assets are.

However, the longer you wait, the harder it becomes on you possibly. (Depends on where you live, total time, etc.. )

Sep 16, 2006, 07:59 PM
    The corporation is under her sisters name. I already talked to a lawyer and I am trying to set up an appointment, but I am trying to get as much information as I can before I meet the lawyer. I tried doing a background check on her but I keep coming up empty. I also was trying to find out more about the 2 Day Cares they own but again I am coming up empty. Both Day Cares are licensed but I can not find any information about them either.The second house they bought is owned by the corporation. I keep hitting a dead end every search I make. My fund are down to nothing with the child support I am paying and my bankruptcy only granted 10 months ago, so credit is also hard to come by. She had this planned out pretty well and it caught me off guard.Thanks for your support and I will keep in touch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wife won't help out. [ 13 Answers ]

My wife refuses to help out around the house. We have three children and have been married for 10 years, during this time she has constantly lost, or lied about having jobs, but when it comes time to help out with expenses she acts childish and refuses to talk about this. Me and my children are...

Should me an my wife be together? [ 18 Answers ]

First off I love my wife very much and have never cheated, we only been married a year and I'm starting 2 feel unsatisfied. She's young fit and very beautiful. People stare at her every where we go, but in the bedroom she's not very skilled, and I find myself working xtra hard 2 please her and...

I am filling F1 and my wife H1 [ 3 Answers ]

I am filling as F1 as I am still a student. My wife was a student till May 2005 but after which she got a job. So, she is currently on H1. 1. what is a procedure to fill taxes for H1? 2. can we fill the taxes together so that we pay less to Uncle SAM?

I am in F-1, wife in H-1 [ 1 Answers ]

I am in F-1 visa, and my wife is in H-1. We have been staying in the US since August 2000. Till last year we used to file as "Married filing separately", but this year I figured that if we do that we will pay more taxes. My question is can my wife file "Married filing jointly" for both of us?...

View more questions Search