Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cubanita12 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Why each color change, precipatate formation, gas evolution, occurred?
    The following chemical test are using to identify inorganic and organic(alcohol, ketone, alkene, carbohydrates) compunds. Explain why each color change, precipatate formation, gas evolution, occurred

1.Solubily in water and hexane
    2.Density for a liquid and a solid (procedure and calculations)
    3. Chromic acid test (CrO42-)
    4. Potassium permanganate Test (KMnO4)
    5. Test with Iodine
    6. Test with Benedict's Solution
    7. Tests for anions and cations

Thank you so much!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 13, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Thank you for taking the time to copy your homework to AMHD.
    Please refer to this announcement: Ask Me Help Desk - Announcements in Forum : Homework Help
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cubanita12 View Post
    5. Test with Iodine
    Basically, you're being asked what each test does.
    cubanita12 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 12:18 PM

I kind of know that, but I don't know how to start.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cubanita12 View Post
    5. Test with Iodine
    #1. Consider the first test. Most nonpolar hydrocarbons are soluble in hexane but insoluble in water. Remember the adage, "oil and water don't mix"? On the other hand, alcohols, especially short-chain alcohols, are soluble in water and hexane. Inorganic salts are (typically) very soluble in water but insoluble in hexane.

#2. The density of most organic compounds is near or below 1.0 g/cc. Water is, of course, 1 gram/cc (nominally). Many inorganic compounds have a much higher density.

#3. Chromic acid is an oxidizing agent. Some materials can be oxidized; others can't.

#4. Potassium permanganate is also an oxidizing agent, similar to #3. The differences in how they react and oxidize other compounds can be used to indicate what compound is present. You can do research into the reactions of chromic acid and potassium permanganate to figure out what the differences are and what it can tell you about the compound you're trying to identify.

#5. See #3 & #4. Iodine often reacts across double bonds.

#6. Benedict's reagent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#7. What are the tests for anions and cations? What does this tell you? The presence of anions and cations would usually point to inorganic compounds. Carboxylic acids and other organic acids with "acidic" hydrogen atoms, might show the presence of anions (and hydrogen ions), but in general, other organic compounds would not.

This is juist a starting point. You should look up what each reaction is expected to do. In both inorganic and organic chemistry, there are usually flow charts containing rules to follow to identify compounds. For example, in qualitative inorganic analysis, you start in acid solution and usually bubble H2S into that solution. Certain sulfides will precipitate in acid solution; others won't. Eventually, you get into basic solution to precipitate those materials. That's the idea behind all of this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Change in Hair Color [ 7 Answers ]

My cousin just passed away in May 2004. He was 34 years old. Didn't smoke or do drugs, and was a very active individual. An autopsy was performed (not all results are in). What we have been told thus far is, he died from an enlarged heart, blocked artery and was morbid obese. My question is,...

13 yr old son hair color change [ 5 Answers ]

My 13 yr old son has just developed two blonde spots on the back of his head. His hair color is brown. Is the something that can happened during puberty?

How can I change my hair color [ 2 Answers ]

My hair is dark brown and I dyed it a few times medium golden brown to lighten it a bit. Three weeks ago I dyed it an auburn brown just to put some red tones in it. It was okay but has faded way to fast. I would like to try another color but am afraid of it going darker. Can I use colorfix on...

Change color in Photoshop [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all! Can someone tell me how I can change the eye color; the color of the iris in this picture. I have done it a long time back and have not used Photoshop since long. I forgot how I did it. How can I do this in a way that it appears natural? http://www.2and2.net/files/4689de4a7706f.jpg

Eye Color Change in a almost 3 year old [ 2 Answers ]

I have always heard that you should know your child's eye color by at least 1 year old. My question is my daughter will be three next month and her eyes are blue but seem to have light brown in them as well. My eyes are blue and my husband's are a brown green color. Not dark brown, but light...

View more questions Search