Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carynwong Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 06:13 PM
    How do I know the fence is belong to me or the neighbor.
    Good evening. Couples of days ago strong wind blew down the fence @ my rental property... IM pretty sure the fence is belong to the neighbor, so I knocked on their door and inguiry about them to have them fixed and ended with the answer... "that is not mine..it is your..." I brought the property about 2 years... Can anyone provide some information of how to identify who is the rightful owner? Thanks.:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2009, 06:15 PM

Check your survey. Doesn't matter when the neighbor bought the property. What matters where the property line is.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2009, 07:17 AM

Hello C:

Even if you find out it was his, he's evidently NOT going to DO anything about it, which is his choice.

Why don't you replace it with a fence of YOUR choosing on YOUR property, and then you'll BOTH know who the fence belongs to?

excon
    Bluejeanbabe Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Apr 10, 2009, 08:14 PM

I always thought that the nice side of the fence faced the neighbor, and you got to look at the ugly side or "lined side" the smooth side of the fence will always have to face your neighbor, so just take a look at the way the fence is laying, good side toward your house, it's his fence, good side toward him... you have some fence repairing to do. But they are right, check the property line to be legal.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 08:32 PM

True, the good side facing neighbor is required by any codes but has no bearing on who actually owns the fence. Like the earlier poster says, check your survey which was required prior to the purchase. You should also be able to locate the survey stakes in most cases. I have seen some fences wander over the line and it made closing on the proerty slightly more complicated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbor says my fence on his property [ 7 Answers ]

I have lived in my home for almost 20 years, the house was built in 1986. My property was surrounded by wooded area originally until recently, owners are trying to secion off the land parcels to build sincle family homes. I had land all around me up until 2 years ago, then a house was built next to...

Next door neighbor took down my fence. [ 1 Answers ]

What can be done about a neighbor who claims to own app.1-2ft of land on my side of her wall. She took down my chain link fence leaving the gate and the remaining fence along my garage wall allowing my small fox terrier to wander the street. She insists she has the right to prevent me from...

What is neighbor who tore down my fence guilty of? [ 8 Answers ]

While we were away on vacation, my crazy neighbor lady tore down our fence between her yard and ours. We rent. It is my landlord's fence, not her's. While fence was down, my cat got out (cat never left yard previously -- she is too fat to hop the fence. We had left her w/ food and water and...

Neighbor attached to fence on our property w/out consent [ 1 Answers ]

Before we put our fence up, we asked our neighbor if he would like to share the fence line, including costs and he said yes. When the day came to erect the fence, we called the neighbor and he said he could not afford it at that time and he also wanted to change the location of where the fence...

View more questions Search