Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BurlGrey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Flickering porch light
    Hi All,
    Looking for some help here:
    I have two lights that appear to be connected in series out on my porch -- the first one is on the porch itself and works fine, the second runs out from the first light (the wires are connected together (that way when we bought the house)) to a second light out by the steps; this second light, when you attach a light fixture, flickers for a few seconds when you turn it on (like it's trying to stay on) then goes out and doesn't come back on when you turn the switch off and on.
    I've tested the wires out by the second light and it's a 120 volts...
    Any ideas what could be the problem here? Note, both lights are controlled by the same switch.

Thanks in advance!:)
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

Apr 5, 2009, 06:45 PM

Just a thought but have you tried swapping the bulbs to see if it makes a difference ?

Apr 5, 2009, 07:37 PM

Yes, same thing with a new bulb.
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

Apr 5, 2009, 07:39 PM

Must be in the socket then?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 08:23 PM
    Turn off the power first... the breaker, not just the switch. Then check the wiring in the box behind that fixture. If you can't find any loose connections, replace the socket. (replacing the socket may be a good idea regardless of what you find)

Safety first... power off and test to make sure it's off!!

Apr 7, 2009, 08:28 AM

Thank you, I will give it a try. Best regards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flickering light on remote controlled ceiling fan. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a remote control ceiling fan/light. The light flickers and blinks only when the fan is off, but if the fan is on there is no problems. I have tried different types of bulbs and I have the same problem no matter which type I use. What causes this and how can it be fixed?

Track light now dim and flickering [ 1 Answers ]

Installed a track light 2 years ago. It has electronic transformer with auto reset. All was great for 2 years. Suddenly it was very dim making a high pitch noise. Removed all the lights and re installed. Now it has dim and flickering light from all the fixtures attached to the track.

Flickering Fan Light [ 1 Answers ]

The light kit on my ceiling fan recently started flickering. After on for a while the lights work fine. The fan itself works fine. How do I stop the flickering?

Buzzing/Flickering Ceiling Fan/Light Fixture [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter's light/ceiling fan is making a... buzzing/popping noise with flickering whenever it is turned on. I have not allowed her to turn it on and she has been using a floor lamp for now because something doesn't sound OR look right - it really kind of scares me!! I am clueless but I am hoping...

Why is my fan fluorescent light bulb flickering? [ 2 Answers ]

10:25 AM 2/13/2006 I recently installed a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan w/florescent light kit. To control the fan and light I installed a remote switch manufactured by the same company, Harbor Breeze. The problem I am having is the fluorescent light is constantly flickering, whether the fan is...

View more questions Search