Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandraf46 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 10:52 PM
    Prevent rust in stainless steel sink
    I've noticed rust spots appearing on our stainless steel sink. What can I do to prevent the rust from spreading?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 11:40 PM

Other than keep it dry but of course its not a sink anymore. How old is the sink?

There is a mired of products here that will help maintain the sink better
    Bar Keepers Friend --Free Shipping

Once it starts to rust it hard to keep at bay

Another tip of onfo
    http://blogs.ebay.com/yor-appliances...QQidZ226781017
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2009, 06:58 AM

The rust in a SS sink is usually superficial. It's caused by something metallic laying in the sink. SS cleanser usually works. Stubborn stains can be remedied with wet/dry sandpaper (600 grit or finer) and WD-40.

Apr 1, 2009, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    The rust in a SS sink is usually superficial. It's caused by someting metalic laying in the sink. SS cleanser usually works. Stubborn stains can be remedied with wet/dry sandpaper (600 grit or finer) and WD-40.
    Some of the rust stains are on the walls of the sink and not on the bottom, but they look superficial. I will try a ss cleanser and if that doesn't work, I will try the sandpaper. Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Other than keep it dry but of course its not a sink anymore. How old is the sink?

There is a mired of products here that will help maintain the sink better
    Bar Keepers Friend --Free Shipping

Once it starts to rust it hard to keep at bay

Another tip of onfo
    eBay Blogs - How can i remove sink rust spots?
    The sink is old--maybe 20 yrs old, but I don't want to give it up. It's a double sink with drainage on both sides. I will try the hardware store and see what kind of products I could use. Thank you.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2009, 03:30 AM

You can try ZUD cleanser. It has Oxalic acid which will remove rust.
    Cheriedow2006 Posts: 32, Reputation: -3

Apr 2, 2009, 10:12 AM

All-Purpose Surface Cleaner
    1 pt white vinegar
    1 cup water
    20-30 drops of eucalyptus oil
    This cleaner removes grease and dirt, smells beautifully fresh, is cheap and nontoxic and will keep indefinitely. Use it on stainless-steel sinks and draining boards, tiled and wooden surfaces, and plastic finishes.
    Put the mixture on a soft cloth and rub. No need to rinse.

Apr 2, 2009, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    You can try ZUD cleanser. It has Oxalic acid which will remove rust.
    Thanks, I looked it up and it also cleans mineral stains. It's good for cleaning the bathroom. I will try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheriedow2006 View Post
    All-Purpose Surface Cleaner
    1 pt white vinegar
    1 cup water
    20-30 drops of eucalyptus oil
    This cleaner removes grease and dirt, smells beautifully fresh, is cheap and nontoxic and will keep indefinitely. Use it on stainless-steel sinks and draining boards, tiled and wooden surfaces, and plastic finishes.
    Put the mixture on a soft cloth and rub. No need to rinse.
    This sounds good to use all over the house and it doesn't have all those chemicals that's in regular cleaners. Thanks, I will try it.
    british knight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 10:49 AM
    Naval jelly is the answer u are looking for
    vvsgrat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 08:13 AM

My stainless steel waterbath is rusted. It has rust spots. Even I change the water it appears again in the same spt. What to do for this.
    SinkDotCom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
    Hi there!

As KISS mentioned, rust in stainless steel sinks usually is superficial, left over from pots and pans or other kitchen tools. If you scratch the surface of your sink by using wire scrubbers or brillo pads, you increase your chances of rust. Therefore, I would NOT suggest using sandpaper, because it will allow for more rust to collect in the future. The chromium on the surface of the sink is what protects it from rusting and corrosion- if you remove this, you will only hurt your sink in the long run. Using a gentle cleanser like Bar Keeper's Friend on a regular basis with soft cloths is a good preventative measure.

In the instance that a stain is left, scrub in the direction of the grain with a Scotch Brite pad or something similar.

That being said, when you look for a new sink be sure to look for 304 stainless steel, made with 18% chromium and 8% nickel. This will be rust- and corrosion-resistant.

To learn more, visit sink.com.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 12, 2011, 12:28 PM
    Hi Sink and welcome to the Plumbing pageat at AskMeHelpDesk.com. You piggybacked on an a 2 year old dead thred. In the future, before you post, look in the upper left hand corner for the date.
    Great advice. Let's have more answers from you. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cut stainless steel [ 5 Answers ]

How do I cut holes in a stainless steel sink?

Under Stainless Steel Sink Insulation Smell [ 7 Answers ]

I just had my kitchen redon a couple weeks back and realized that the insulation under the sink smells something like burnt plastic. Is this normal and is there a recommended way of getting rid of this smell?

Drill Hole in Stainless Steel Sink [ 30 Answers ]

How do I drill a 3/4" hole in a stainless steel kitchen sick?

Stainless Steel kitchen sink mildew [ 2 Answers ]

Our new sink drain (not the disposal side) is over run with mildew in the seal and stainless drain insert? We did not leave any standing water or dishes in it. I have treated it with Clorox/stainless cleaners and nothing is working? Do you have any suggestions?

View more questions Search