Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MNWI-2237 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 05:19 PM
    Married couple living in two states. How do we file taxes
    My husband and I got married. He lives in Wisconsin and I live in Minnesota. I want to stay a resident of MN because of the homestead credit and he wants to stay a resident of WI for various reasons (political, hunting and fishing). We want to file married jointly, but don't know how to do it. My income comes from MN and so does his. Can we file a joint federal return and then how do we handle the state?

Thanks in advance.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 05:33 PM

If you are present in a state, then any income earned during this period, must be reported to the state.

To your resident state, you must report your worldwide income for the year or for the residency period. If you paid taxes to another state, then you will claim credit for those taxes.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State tax return for married couple living in different states [ 11 Answers ]

Dear Sir I got married in Dec 2006. My wife lived in Texas for the entire 2006 and I live in Ohio for the entire 2006. I have some questions regarding filing this years taxes. 1) If we file our federal return under "married filing jointly" status, then can we file my Ohio tax return under ...

Tax filing for married couple live and work in different states [ 11 Answers ]

In 2007, I lived and worked in Connecticut and had the CT state tax withheld. My wife lived and worked in Massachusetts and had the MA state tax withheld. My wife supports her dad and our son and both of them live with my wife in MA. I want to file married jointly for 2007 federal tax and...

Filing taxes married living different states [ 1 Answers ]

I am relocating to Boston MA and my husband is a retired federal employee who pays federal taxes residing in Puerto Rico. In PR we file separately. {Moved from Forum Help-<>}

How to file state tax for married couple work in different states [ 1 Answers ]

In 2007, my husband worked in Illinois and had the Illinois state tax withheld. I worked in New York and had the New York state tax withheld. We want to file married jointly for 2007 with the resident address in Illinois. How should we file for state taxes? Should we file for Illinois and New...

Taxes when Married, Living & Working in Two Different States [ 3 Answers ]

Dear someone, My husband and I are married but currently live and work in two different states -- I in Kentucky and he in Illinois. Will this impact our federal filing and, if so, how? And how do we file state taxes? Also, how do I go about finding a tax professional with expertise that can...

View more questions Search