Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    opwdvr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2009, 04:16 PM
    Laminated header
    What size laminated header would I need to use over an 18 foot garage door? And also a 12 foot door?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 09:29 PM

There is no information here as to what's above these openings which greatly effects the header load in deflection.

When you say laminated are you referring to Micro lambs or just site build 2bys sandwiched with plywood?

Do you have a Mirco Lamb manufacture there. If so They can engineer it for clear span and header load. Here it's a basic with and height to dead load and live load which is snow loads.
    opwdvr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the help.
    I am referring to a micro lamb header. There will be roof trusses above the header on 24" centers. With osb and shingles on the roof. We have no extra weigth from the snow.

opwdvr
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 11:24 AM

What is the room there for a header weight?
    Micros are pretty salty. They Basically come 3" wide and you nail a couple together. The weigh a ton so to build the header it may be best to a build in place. The Mirco supplier can give you the load and clear span specs.

They way we do it at times is go to a real lumber yard and get 2x10 or 12s ( 18' in your case and use exterior 3/4 or 5/8 ply and sandwich that in between the 2x10s or 12s to make a semi micro lamb beam. I use exterior adhesive and cut 10" wide strips out of the ply. Nail spacing 12" OC. Start the first 8' long piece and center that in the header. Chase it to the ends from there. Add another 2x10 or 12 over the first applied ply. The next Ply on that second 2x10 or 12 stager that joint from the first ply joint. Ands so on.

Looking from the top down it 1st 2x10 then ply 2nd 2x10 then ply 3rd 2x10.

Sight the lumber and keep the backs up. The bow end up to header load.

I'm not an engineer so you didn't get this from me. Covering liability here. So call Lamb supplier and price it out and I gave an option B

Again I don't know how much room you have from bottom of door header to to sill plate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crackling laminated floorboards [ 2 Answers ]

I laid down laminated floorboards about three years, onto concrete, laid down underlay but in the last six months the boards are "crackling" increasingly. Can anyone offer any advice please.

What size laminated beam? [ 3 Answers ]

I removed A door and a window from the back exterior wall of my home exiting into a sunroom. They both had separate headers meeting on a supporting post of three 2X4's. I want to remove the supporting post and put one 9' laminated beam under the headers but do not know the width and thichkness...

Should I install laminated floors [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a new home and I would like to install laminated floors throughout the house. I heard lots and lots of stories that your high heels would leave marks and that the floors will make "bubbles". All the quotes that I got from the contractors ensured me that the floors are being guaranteed...

Laminated beam as header [ 1 Answers ]

What size laminated beam should I use for a 15 ft. span supporting the back wall of a house as well as an extension with a shed roof thank you

View more questions Search