Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2009, 05:47 AM
    Best heating for small house?
    Hi guys! My partner and I just purchased our first home and we are moving in on Sunday. It is a 3 bedroom house but it is till relatively small and the lounge/dining/kitchen is all open plan. There is a small wood heater in the lounge room but we would like to avoid using it.

Can anyone recommend another form of heating that is fairly cheap to run? As I said this is our first home and we basically have no idea on what is expensive or cheaper to run.

sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 25, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Hello shazamataz

Think more about insulating the house rather than heating the house. Of course you need a source of heating, but what you keep in does not have to be provided.
    Spend your money on insulation. Of walls, of ceilings, of windows, and reduce draft (doorstrips etc).

The advantage is that proper insulation also helps in summertime to keep the house cool, and much more economic on long term !
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Mar 25, 2009, 09:45 AM
    It would help to provide a little more information: Where are you located, what is the climate like? How big is the room/space you want to heat? How many doors, windows and height of the ceiling. Is the "wood heater" a stove, fireplace insert, what?

One alternitive, although not inexpensive is a mini split system with a wall mounted interior piece and an external compressor. Can be heat, cool or heatpump model. Runs on electricity...
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Mar 25, 2009, 10:06 AM

I too am wondering what region of the country you are in since you list only a small wood heater as your sole heat source. This would suggest you are in a regions that gets pretty hot in the summer, which begs the question of what type of cooling do you have as that might be a place to combine some functionality.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 04:32 AM
    Thanks for replying guys, I will definitely look into better insulation.

Unfortunately I can't give you very accurate info on the room sizes at the moment, other that all the rooms are separated by archways, there are only doors leading into the bedrooms down a 3 meter hallway. (I'll measure them when I can)

The wood heater is tiny... it's just set into a marble fireplace and takes 18" logs, I'm not sure what to call it exactly, to say I'm not very knowledgeable with heaters would be an understatement.

Also I'm in Tasmania... the temperature ranges from 40C (104F) in summer down to -3 degrees (26F) in winter so it's pretty extreme. We have a ceiling fan and a portable air conditioner for summer, but I don't know if the little wood heater is going to cut it in winter, we don't have much cash left after doing necessary renovations either :(
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Mar 26, 2009, 05:01 AM

I'm not familiar with that region of the world and apologize for thinking you were in the US. With little funds your options are limited unless you local government provides assistance in installing/upgrading a heating system. If you can give some idea if that is possible and what utilities are available, what their costs are including taxes and how reliable they are. Most posters here are from the US, so many things are assumed.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 26, 2009, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    ...the temperature ranges from 40C (104F) in summer down to -3 degrees (26F) in winter so it's pretty extreme. We have a ceiling fan and a portable air conditioner for summer, but I don't know if the little wood heater is going to cut it in winter, we don't have much cash left after doing necessary renovations either
    Ok : first the cheapest form of isolation than :

- Repair and seal all draft points.
    - Install doorstrips.
    - If you have an attic, install isolation over the ceiling. Most heat leaves via the roof.
    - Isolating walls and install double glass in windows is expensive, so have to wait

Till you can provide and install proper isolation, just get a couple of cheap electric heaters (warm air fan type) : they are cost effective on short term and are always handy to have around.

Dual purpose aircon systems (heating and cooling) are expensive and therefore not on top of your list of new investments.

For summertime a ceiling fan in each bedroom is advised : cheap and effective.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnian View Post
    - Repair and seal all draft points.
    - Install doorstrips.

Till you can provide and install proper isolation, just get a couple of cheap electric heaters (warm air fan type) : they are cost effective on short term and are always handy to have around.
    Putting seals under the doors seems really obvious but it's something we didn't think of, thank you!

We have a couple of small fan heaters but I heard they were expensive to run? I guess we will find out after our first power bill! Lol
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 11:15 AM
    I wold call on a few (2 0R 3) local heating and cooling companies and as them out to ook over your house and give you some options to think about (with the price options ) every part of the world and each country vary so much the local people cold help you to decide,, good luck and write back if we can be of more help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating the house [ 1 Answers ]

Is it cheaper to leave a combi boiler on constant heating low or to set it on a timer and have it on higher??

Small house won't stay heated [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a few related questions that have been driving me mad. (my wallet too) A few notes- The house is mostly gas. No programmable thermostat or double pane glass. My heat at night is set below 68 (usually around 65) and it seems to run all the time with very short breaks. I put my hand...

Heating my house [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a coal stove next to my oil furnace. I have duct it to the furnace so I can use the fan. I have the fan running all the time but I want to be able to have the thermostat turn it on and off as it requires more heat. The thermostat is programmable With a fan only setting. But there...

Heating a big house [ 2 Answers ]

My house is 1800 sq ft and made of the old bricks all the way around the foundation and walls of the house. The problem I have ran into is heating the house. I have 2 pellet inserts but it seem that no heat goes into the back bedrooms. I do not want to turn on the electric heat any ideas would be...

House not heating right [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hot water baseboard heating system 2 zones valves one zone is what the call a split zone it leaves the boiler in the basement I think 1 ins copper pipe goes to the end loops back to the boiler like in a u shape if you know what I mean the return is 3/4 copper the water seems hot going...

View more questions Search