Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jongig1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 12:32 PM
    2-cycle oil / gas ratio
    Hi, I'm looking for a way to consolidate gas tanks. I have three different machines that of course all use a different ratio. Auger is 24:1, snowblower is 50:1, and weedeater is 40:1. Is there a product out there which would allow me to use 1 or 2 tanks for these... I'd appreciate any input

Thanks
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2006, 01:00 PM
    Well you could always use the 24:1 for both the auger and the snowblower.

Since the auger needs essentially twice the concentration of oil / gallon, you just dilute it in half when filling the snowblower.

You'd just need to know the capacity of your snowblower tank. Then when time to fill you'd fill it half with 24:1 and the rest with straight gas. This ratio is close enough to the actual blend it shouldn't be a problem.

You could simply get a plastic container and measure half gallon of liquid into it and mark it, and then also mark it at the gallon line. Would allow you to blend and pour as needed without storing an extra tank. If the gallon is too much, then mark 1/4 gal and 1/2 gal.

Of course this is maybe more work than needed. I usually blend what I need on the spot unless I know I'm going to go through several tanks.

Technically you could also blend the 40:1 straight from the 24:1. you'd blend 6 parts 24:1 to 4 parts straight gas.

Again... the only issue is when you make more than you need. Since most of these machines are not going to use a gallon at a time, you'd need a container that allowed you to measure out smaller volumes. The only issue with this is when measuring small volumes errors in measuring are amplified.

I work with dilutions like this sometimes in chemical labs. We use graduated cylinders, but it could just as easily be done with glassare like a 4 or 8 cup kitchen measuring pitcher. This would let you make smaller amounts and prevent you from making a lot of excess.

The problem, of course, is when I do dilutions of flammable, volatiles I can use a fume hood to keep the vapors from finding ignition sources. So the problem with the idea of mixing out of a 24:1 solution is that you'll be working with gasoline in an open container, requiring special precautions... like mixing away from the house, in an open air environment...

But not that big of a deal. You'd be working with gasoline away from ignition sources anyway when filling.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2006, 06:48 PM
    You could just use 24:1 in all of them... you only run a risk of clogging the spark arrestors, which can be cleaned or just removed like I do. Of course it also comes into play, of how much you use the engines... the snowblower uses 50:1 and the weedeater 40:1... no problem with using 40:1 in those two and a can for those may be set aside with what ratio they use, and the auger can sit alone with its 24:1 in its own can. Depending on how much you use them, you might be fine with '2' one gallon cans. One for each ratio. Just make sure to use a good quality (air cooled certified) 2 cycle oil.
    carrot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2006, 08:12 AM
    Can’t agree with the solution to use 1:24 for each engine. First the oil costs… second, adding too much oil – you’ll lose the power of your two-stroke engine.
    Use mixmetrix oil/gas ratio dispenser and you’ll have no problems with ratios and gas tanks, because each time you use your machine you can make as much fuel as you need, even for one gas tank of your machine.
    Have fun.

Gas/Oil Ratio Measuring Cup
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 07:35 PM
    Gas Oil Mixture Ratio Calculator

I was searching around the web the other day and found this to be a great thing to use.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 11:14 AM
    I use Amsoil Saber Professional 2-Cyle Oil at 100:1 in everything (Weedeater trimmer, Craftsman blower, and Skill chainsaw). I have never worn any of my equipment out and I have been using it at 100:1 since 1979. My equipment doesn't smoke, plugs last over 10 years, and they run great. Since I live in Texas, my equipment gets a lot of use because the growing season is so long.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Jun 27, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    I use Amsoil Saber Professional 2-Cyle Oil at 100:1 in everything (Weedeater trimmer, Craftsman blower, and Skill chainsaw). I have never worn any of my equipment out and I have been using it at 100:1 since 1979. My equipment doesn't smoke, plugs last over 10 years, and they run great. Since I live in Texas, my equipment gets a lot of use because the growing season is so long.

That's the best advice I've heard in a while concerning which oil to use... Amsoil can definitely be used without harm at those ratios...
    carrot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2006, 10:27 AM
    Be careful, multiratio oil at 1:100 can break down your engine if you use it outdoors at temperatures 20 F or lower. This is my own experience.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2006, 07:40 PM
    That's 100:1... not 1:100
    100:1 has been used successfully (with synthetics of course) and are fine... all temps. But what if you can't get it? More oil... the more lubrication... BUT more smoke, and a lower octane. Usually the engines will stay just as clean, whether it be 100:1 or 16:1
    foybrasw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 08:54 AM
    http://utextension.tennessee.edu/pub...es/SP268-I.pdf

This site has some useful information about 2 cycle gas/oil mixture ratios.

Foybrasw

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ratio Analysis [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help me please with this question? The lenders of X have asked you to prepare the following ratios for the company from their comparative financial statements. They are concerned about Soukup’s ability to continue as a going concern. The ratios are as follows: Year 2003 ...

Current Ratio [ 1 Answers ]

How would the following actions affect a firm’s current ratio? 1. A customer prepays in full for specially ordered merchandise that it will take 60 days to manufacture. 2. Inventory is sold at the firm’s normal 35% markup cost.

Affects on current ratio [ 1 Answers ]

How would the following actions affect a firm's current ratio? 1. inventory is sold 2. the firm takes out a bank loan to pay its suppliers 3. a customer pays its overdue bill 4. the firm uses cash to purchase additional inventories.

Firm's current ratio [ 2 Answers ]

How would the following actions affect a firm's current ratio? 1. Inventory is sold. 2. The firm takes out a bank loan to pay its suppliers. 3. A customer pays its overdue bills. 4. The firm uses cash to purchase additional inventories Thank you

View more questions Search