Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gailgirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 07:26 PM
    Husband is loyal to ex wife
    My husband of 14 years and his ex wife are really good friends. She has not dated in over 21 years, and really never wanted to get married. She does not care about her looks, and often is embarrassing in her clothing. My problem is that my husband is her caretaker. He will giver her money for clothes, speaks to her nightly, confides in her, sends her food baskets, and feels that there is nothing wrong with his actions. I feel that he is not loyal to me. How do I accept this relationship?
    scottmc77 Posts: 19, Reputation: -2

Mar 23, 2009, 07:33 PM
    [QUOTE=gailgirl;1622940]my husband of 14 years and his ex wife are really good friends. She has not dated in over 21 years, and really never wanted to get married. She does not care about her looks, and often is embarrassing in her clothing. My problem is that my husband is her caretaker. He will giver her money for clothes, speaks to her nightly, confides in her, sends her food baskets, and feels that there is nothing wrong with his actions. I feel that he is not loyal to me. How do I accept this relationship?[/QUOTE
    You don't except it, the things he does for her, he should be doing for you! You deserve to be treated better and it sounds to me like they are still best friends. I'm sorry your in this situation, you deserve better!:(
    gailgirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 08:20 PM

He is VERY VERY generous to me... and we live a wonderful live... 2 homes, european vacations, cars etc. I get so much more than she does, the issue is how does one accept her husband doing for his ex wife after all of these years... as she has never had any success in any career and lives a simple plain life and seems to be content...
    scottmc77 Posts: 19, Reputation: -2

Mar 23, 2009, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gailgirl View Post
    he is VERY VERY generous to me....and we live a wonderful live....2 homes, european vacations, cars etc. I get so much more than she does, the issue is how does one accept her husband doing for his ex wife after all of these years....as she has never had any success in any career and lives a simple plain life and seems to be content....
    So he gives you material things while he gives her everything emotional
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 04:00 AM
    That he spends so much emotional time with her, the relationship would bother me too.

I can see helping out with the food baskets and money for clothes, which are nice gestures, and it sounds like she could use the help.

But, it's almost like a payment for services in that his reward is talking to her every night, and confiding in her.

He should be confiding in only his wife, and your feelings should be considered valid by him, and he should just stop it. I can see phoning to see how she is doing once in a while, or perhaps bringing you along for the odd visit, but to exclude you, and have this relationship with her is a bit much in my opinion.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 12:50 PM

He never got over her. How soon after the divorce did you two meet and start dating? I'll bet it was rather soon. Give him an ultimatum. One wife, no more. If he cannot let go then you need to let him go back to her.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2009, 01:44 PM

Has he done this throughout your entire marriage? If so, were you aware of how he took care of her before you got married and was it discussed? Or is this a more recent occurrence?
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 03:50 PM

Well, have you told him how you feel?

You need to be very clear and try to not come across as jealous.

It is fair enough to ask him to lower his amount of contact with her.

But it may be a thought to try to see this as a testament to his good nature.

This woman sounds a little desperate and lost, to be honest. He may just feel sorry for her.
    ninahhhdreams Posts: 54, Reputation: 0

Mar 26, 2009, 10:50 AM
    This woman sounds a little desperate and lost, to be honest. He may just feel sorry for her.[/QUOTE]

Uh-uh.. No man is going to go through this as a nightly ritual with any woman he feels sorry for! That's a woman's makeup, not a man's unless he's getting more out of the deal. It is nice what he is able to do for her, but he needs to define where he stands with her. You either accept it, or it's hells naw, dude!
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ninahhhdreams View Post

Uh-uh..No man is going to go through this as a nightly ritual with any woman he feels sorry for! That's a woman's makeup, not a man's unless he's getting more out of the deal. It is nice what he is able to do for her, but he needs to define where he stands with her. You either accept it, or it's hells naw, dude!
    I don't understand what you are trying to say here.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ninahhhdreams View Post
    Th
    Uh-uh..No man is going to go through this as a nightly ritual with any woman he feels sorry for! That's a woman's makeup, not a man's unless he's getting more out of the deal. It is nice what he is able to do for her, but he needs to define where he stands with her. You either accept it, or it's hells naw, dude!
    So what your saying it that men are unable to feel? They can't do nice deeds unless they are getting out of it? So what your saying is most likely he's having some type of sexual relations with his ex?

I don't if you're a man or woman but they're men in this world that do goods deeds without expecting nothing in return. Maybe you haven't came across one but they're out there.
    ninahhhdreams Posts: 54, Reputation: 0

Mar 27, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by neverme View Post
    I don't understand what you are trying to say here.
    That's fair seeing that I started to comment on the thread, but stopped to address what you said. Well, what can I say. Instead of breaking it down and risk losing you further, just reread it. It's all there... :)

Uh-uh.. No man is going to go through this as a nightly ritual with any woman he feels sorry for! That's a woman's makeup, not a man's unless he's getting more out of the deal.

It is nice what he is able to do for her, but he needs to define where he stands with her. You either accept it, or it's hells naw, dude!

"I don't know if you're a man or woman but they're men in this world that do goods deeds without expecting nothing in return. Maybe you haven't came across one but they're out there."

liz28 Wow! you should really check your tone!! You are right, you don't know what I have come across and dealt with, seen my friends through, read and heard about, but I do know no man is going to continually do this for a woman AS A NIGHTLY RITUAL without getting something out of it, whatever that something is is yet to be defined. Could be mental, physical, or emotional. Note, I never said men do not do good deeds and expect nothing, they are just not going to be a fool like that. Even the nerdiest weakling will eventually read the tea leaves and keep it moving.

Case in point, after reading these comments, I polled 10 men ages ranging from 52, the oldest, to 26, the youngest, and although Cody, the 26 year old waifed with his answer, "Ah, yeah, ah sure a man would be there... " after about 2 minutes of talking in circles, even he concluded, as the other men had said, they would NOT continue with a woman like that, unless feelings were still involved, or had something going with her( the other woman)... So not just my opinion here. And oh, if nina isn't obviously a woman, then liz isn't obvious either. :eek:

Im just curious, why attack my comment when after all, someone did ask a question and in an attempt to help, many of us provided personal opinions... hmmm:rolleyes:
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Mar 27, 2009, 07:43 AM
    To Gailgirl,

You haven't mentioned the possibility that he's having a sexual relationship with her, in addition to the other things he does.

Is that possible do you think?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 08:08 AM

I think the emotional abandon is enough. I think you are being emotionally cheated on, but when we are talking about an ex-wife, you are going to have to give him the ultimatum or accept this situation as you will not interfer in this emotional relationship. It's fairly similar to a mother/son relationship. Accept it or leave.
    i_am_the_lady Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Mar 27, 2009, 08:38 AM

Cheating can also be emotionial and not just physical.

A good partner will always put into consideration how you feel about their actions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B Husband, Husband and Wife overseas, LayOff [ 9 Answers ]

I was on a H1B visa and working in the US sine June 2007. The company that I was working for downsized and I was laid off from there on 31st Oct 2008. Subsequently since I was unable to find employment I decided to move back home at the end of November. I got married in Dec 2008. By that time my...

Wife on dependent visa and husband dies, can wife stay in UK? [ 1 Answers ]

Husband worked in UK for 7 yrs and wife has worked here about 5. Wife is on dependent visa. Husband got seriously ill and died recently. Is wife allowed to still stay in UK? What should she do to be able to stay? Can she apply for permanent residence? Husband is buried to UK and wife would like to...

A movie about a loyal dog and a boy who likes to draw [ 3 Answers ]

All I remembered was that there was this boy who was very poor and he likes to draw, and there was also this dog who was loyal and helped the boy a lot. In the end the boy saw his a famous painting that he wanted to see for a long time and he died. Angels came down to pick him to heave. The movie...

F1 wife, F2-F1 Husband [ 4 Answers ]

Hey there, I appreciate your help in answering my question. I am an F1 student working as a Grad assistant. My husband who was on F2 in 2006 changed his status to F1 in 2007 but has not earned income and paid tuition and fees till March. From April he started his Grad assistantship too. Now I...

Bi-polar, infertile husband, gives up on wife and life. (by wife) [ 17 Answers ]

I got married nearly 4 years ago. Recently I found out that my husband is bi-polar and has pathological lying disorder. Just before that. We took was out $27,000 for IVF treatment, and long story short he stopped working and would not get a job, created debt, lied about it etc. While I was going...

View more questions Search