Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aulakhbs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Furnace blower on - no Heat
    I have a Carrier furnace with an automatic ignition. The fan is constantly running but it is not heating.

Additional Information:
    Model 58PAV: The Red Led Status light is rapidly flashing - which according to the manual means 'Line voltage (115VAC) polarity reversed. If twinned, refer to twinning kit instructions'. I do not have a clue what 'Line voltage (115VAC) polarity reversed... ' means. The Furnace was working fine last year and no one touched any wires -- how did the polarity get reversed?

I will really appreciate if someone can explain to me what can I check and how?

Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 13, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Usually this is a symptom of a burner problem. You could have a problem with the draft inducer fan motor or circuit board. It could also be as easy as a sensor. If it is spark ignition could be the safety control or spark box. You need to check the circuits with a meter to tell which part is bad.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Check the high limit switch. It may be signaling a false overheated condition. If so, the gas will shut off and the blower run until the condition clears. You may find some help with the switch in the sticky, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...tml#post664441
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Sounds like you have a open limit or blown 24 volt fuse. On carrier, the blower runs all the time if a limit is open or if 24 volts is lost going to the control board.
    lasan Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aulakhbs View Post
    I have a Carrier furnace with an automatic ignition. The fan is constantly running but it is not heating.

Additional Information:
    Model 58PAV: The Red Led Status light is rapidly flashing - which according to the manual means 'Line voltage (115VAC) polarity reversed. If twinned, refer to twinning kit instructions'. I do not have a clue what 'Line voltage (115VAC) polarity reversed ...' means. The Furnace was working fine last year and no one touched any wires -- how did the polarity get reversed?

I will really appreciate if someone can explain to me what can I check and how?

Thanks
    :confused:Hi,Have you fix your Carrier furnace?If you did could you tell me what is wrong with?I have a furnace same model with the you have,just about 6 yrs old it's has the same problem with your furnace.Would you tell me how to fix it?Thanks

Mar 21, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Usually this is a symptom of a burner pr:confused:.You could have a problem with the draft inducer fan motor or circuit board. It could also be as easy as a sensor. If it is spark ignition could be the safety control or spark box. You need to check the circuits with a meter to tell which part is bad.
    :confused:Hi,could you help me.My furnace Carrier model 58pav about 6 yrs old,it has a problem cold air out and no heat,I check a blinking in furnace it blink 3 times stop and blink 1 more,after that it blinking the same (3times stop and 1 more) What is that problem.Thanks
    Mikie D Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 05:38 PM

Most of the time it's the high limit switch pull the wires of and ckeck with a volt meter to check continuity it should be made or just jump it out if it starts you know the limit switch is bad. Good luck Mikie D
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2009, 04:30 AM
    The fault code you are seeing is either "13" or "31". Look for a label titled "SERVICE" on the front panel and follow the instructions at the top to determine which code is being displayed.

Mar 24, 2009, 09:36 AM
    :confused:Thanks for your adviser,If a fuse blown I need to change a new fuse but I do not know where is a fuse locate?Thanks

Mar 24, 2009, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie D View Post
    most of the time its the high limit switch pull the wires of and ckeck with a volt meter to check continuity it should be made or just jump it out if it starts you know the limit switch is bad. Good luck Mikie D
    Hi , I push a limit switch to reset and the heat came on but it runs about 2 -3 minutes and does not have anymore heat come out just a cold air?A red light blinks 3 short 1 long and stop.Thanks all for helping.

Mar 24, 2009, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Usually this is a symptom of a burner problem. You could have a problem with the draft inducer fan motor or circuit board. It could also be as easy as a sensor. If it is spark ignition could be the safety control or spark box. You need to check the circuits with a meter to tell which part is bad.
    Hi , I push a limit switch to reset and the heat came on but it runs about 2 -3 minutes and does not have anymore heat come out just a cold air?A red light blinks 3 short 1 long and stop.Thanks all for helping.

Mar 24, 2009, 03:01 PM

Most high limit switches don't have resets look for another switch usually mounted behind the gas valve on the heat exchanger, look for a square metallic material with two prongs facing you and two wires on them if you jump those wires out and it runs you need to replace it.Good luck Mikie D
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2009, 03:52 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, "31" is relative to a pressure switch fault. Check for a flue obstruction or clogged condensate drain tubes and/or trap. Try this: with the unit running, nudge the wire connections at the pressure switch. If you observe an immediate change in either operation (burners drop out) or the status LED (stops blinking), the pressure switch is faulty.

Mar 25, 2009, 09:29 AM
    Most high limit switches dont have resets look for another switch usually mounted behind the gas valve on the heat exchanger, look for a square metalic material with two prongs facing you and two wires on them if you jump those wires out and it runs you need to replace it.Good luck Mikie D
    Hi Mike,Are you talking about DRAFT SAFEGUARD SWITCH on right hand side of RELEIF BOX and FLUECOLLAR?At begin it did not have a heat came out I Press that switch (DRAFT SAFE GUARD SWITCH AS OF MANUAL OF MODEL 58PAV TELL ME) and heat came out and run fine with HEAT,forgot to tell you I try this for 2 times and furnace ran fine with heat came out but 3rd time did not have any heat at all.

Mar 25, 2009, 06:36 PM

Does the draft motor keep running if it doesn't check voltage to it if it still has voltage its probably the motor also check to see if flame sensor is clean and making a good connection if the sensor is bad it won't keep the gas valve open and the unit will lock out until you shut power off then back on check that let me know. Mikie D

Mar 25, 2009, 08:33 PM
    Does the draft motor keep running if it dosent check voltage to it if it still has voltage its probably the motor also check to see if flame sensor is clean and making a good connection if the sensor is bad it wont keep the gas valve open and the unit will lock out until you shut power off then back on check that let me know. Mikie D
    Hi Mike,A motor by Relief box,Draft Guard Switch still running after I turn off Gas Valve control(inside upflow Furnace),external Gas Valve,Electrical Switch and after 5 minuter I turn them on and set room thermostat slightly above room temp.Then furnace on but did not see any flame and I look on downflow Furnace I see LED light go 3 short 1 long if furnace does not run a LED light just stay on no blinking.Anyway How to know if Flam sensor is clean and making a good connection.I am not a handy man so I might asked you some dump question I am so sorry about that and thanks all of your help.

Mar 26, 2009, 08:15 AM

Inside furnace cover tells u codes it will say what 3 short and 1 long means , as far as flame rod or sensor what ever u have ,one or two small scews holds assembly together look at it before u take it apart remember sensor has to be in flame to tell gas valve to stay open a little fine sandpaper cleaning the sesor and any rust areas on pilot or do you have hot surface igniter that will glow red in front of gas nozzle and if you do you have to see if it is cracked that's another problem you could have check code on cover and check these things and let me know. Mikie D

Mar 26, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Also remember if unit starts on reset put a small wire on pressure switc terminals after it starts and if it keeps running that's your problem I don't know if you did that let us know. Mikie D

Mar 26, 2009, 08:38 AM
    also remember if unit starts on reset put a small wire on pressure switc terminals after it starts and if it keeps running thats your problem I dont know if you did that let us know. Mikie D
    I did not do that.What do you mean a small wire on pressure switch (A switch with 2 red wire face toward of my face).What you mean is use a small wire run from this Red wire to another Red wire?

Mar 26, 2009, 12:02 PM

The pressure switch is a round diaphram with a vacumn hose going to it any wire is good even a piece of tstat wire just strip both ends and after the furnace draft motor starts running, immediately jump out the pressure swicth and see if it stays running. Mikie D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower not working with Heat- OK with AC [ 2 Answers ]

I have a recent HVAC system and not too long ago I had to remove the blower and lube the bushings because it had frozen. This was with the AC Now, that's its cold and we turned the heat on the blower either comes on for a bit and then quits or doesn't come on at all. I can turn the AC on and the...

No heat but blower still on [ 3 Answers ]

All of a sudden I have no heat. I have a programmable Simple Comfort 3001 thermostat and haven't had any issue with it for 1.5 years. Forced Hot Air Heat / Gas - what could be wrong ? My furnace has no pilot light - its only 2 yrs old. Help !

Blower on, no heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tempstar NTC6 125KJGI. I turned it off at the kill switch attached to furnace the other day to clean the filter. After cleaning the filter it now blows cold air. However, I think I see the gas igniting when it kicks on. Blew hot air before. 2 months ago an inspector said it was in...

No heat, continuous blower [ 6 Answers ]

I've got a Day and Night furnace that has an electric ignition pilot. Normally, when the heat is turned on, you can hear the *click *click *click of the electric pilot ignition and then the blower comes on afterward. My current problem is that the pilot light now never lights (there's not even...

No heat, blower runs constantly, carrier gas furnace [ 7 Answers ]

This am we I got up the blower on my carrier series 100 gas furnace (approx 10 years old)was running and blowing out cold air. Even with the thermostat turned to off the blower runs constantly. The only way to stop the blower from running is to turn the switch on the side of the furnace to off or...

View more questions Search