Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frosty45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 09:51 PM
    Maximum vent distances
    I am remodeling our bathroom and wonder about the need to add a plumbing vent. What is the maximum distance allowed from the vanity drain to the stack without adding a vent?

Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 25, 2009, 03:37 AM
    Hi Frosty...

Maximum distance will depend on the plumbing code that prevails in your area.

In my area, the maximum distance for vent between stack and sink is 5 feet... ;) (see top drawing). Under most other codes I think it is 3.5 feet maximum.

Anything between 3 and 5 feet would work for me. Anything longer than 5 feet will require you to install an 1.5" vent and run it back to the vent stack... see middle picture below. Notice how the vent pitches back toward the drain and be sure to hang the pipe every 4 feet. The trap wants to end up between 18-20" off finish floor and the vent reconnects into the vent stack at 42-48" off finish floor.

You can also pipe it up as in the alternative piping drawing below... just need to start low on the stack. Again, the trap wants to end up between 18-20" off finish floor and the vent reconnects into the vent stack at 42-48" off finish floor.

Let us know if you have more questions... anytime!

MARK

Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 25, 2009, 05:08 AM
    Depending on where you live and the code you fall under and the size of your drain.
    1 1/2" drain line between 3 1/2' and 5'
    2" drain between 5' and 6'.
    Note: The newer vanity installations are usually piped with a 2" drain line and reduced down at the trap. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Distances to the sun [ 1 Answers ]

What would be further away? From the sun?A star near the center of the milkyway galaxy or a star on the far side of the milky way galaxy?

Finding distances. [ 2 Answers ]

Sorry for the lame-o title... I found this cool website that gives distances between cities &/or points in distances "as the crow flies: How Far Is It? by Indo.com, Discount Bali Hotels ... so I know it's 2734 miles (4400 km) from Miami, FL to Seattle, WA in a straight line. Now what I...

Long-distances [ 8 Answers ]

Can a long-distance relationship last for 7 years? What is the maximum number of years a long-distance relationship can last for? Can a long-distance relationship work between a University student and a college student? Please be honest.

Standard distances? [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a standard distance for placement of center of water closet drain to finished wall? I'm roughing in sewer plumbing in basement for future build-out before slab is poured.

Maximum distances from the waste line vent [ 3 Answers ]

Are there generally code requirements for waste line runs in regards to how far the waste line runs from the roof vent? For example, if I convert an existing bedroom into a bathroom and the toilet is say 10 feet away from the waste line roof vent, is that going to be a problem?

View more questions Search