Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulab Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2004, 06:50 PM
    Slowing down an electric motor
    I have an electric motor that rotates at 1750 rpm and I would like to slow it to maybe 100n rpm. Is that possible with out gearing?I am looking for an affordable solution.
    Thank you.
    Paul
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 23, 2004, 07:06 PM
    Yes, it can be done. But you must not load it fully when slowed down, because the cooling of the motor is less efficient when it goes slower.
    Is it an AC or a DC motor?
    A DC motor: lower the voltage.
    An AC motor: use a dimmer (mind the maximal wattage).
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2004, 07:46 PM
    100n rpm? Did you mean 100 or 1000? For all but the smallest motors, it might be cheaper to buy another motor. Try www.meci.com.
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 23, 2004, 07:59 PM
    If you are interested, Labman, I'll send you the schematics of both regulators (AC and DC) to slow down a motor to 100 RPM without loss of torque.
    And no, it is not expensive to build.
    Only, the cooling eh...
    jus4thecurious Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2004, 05:38 PM
    I'm very interested in checking out this schematic
    If you could email it to me I would really appreciate it thanks in advance
    My email is "[email protected]"

Dec 29, 2004, 12:39 PM
    For some reason I did not get the messages from November and I just saw them now in looking at the reply dated xmas day.

I would appreciate the schematic veery much.

This is an ac motor and a dimmer will not work on it althouigh it will work on a drill for example,and I am trying for something like 100 rpm

Thank you
    Paul

Dec 29, 2004, 12:42 PM
    Oops I foorgot to add my email : [email protected]
    Thanks again
    cerobb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2005, 08:46 PM
    Trying to slow down a AC chop saw from 3800 rpm to 1800 rpm
    I am trying to slow down a chop saw from 3800 rpm to say 1800 rpm so I can change blades from a cut off blade to a metal blade. Any ideas how I can do this?
    Lee999 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2005, 11:39 AM
    Motor control
    I wanted to control the motor speed of my fireplace blower. It had
    2 speeds - high and higher. You could literally roast a turkey with it. But,
    As with many AC motors it appeared to be impedance controlled, and
    Varying the line voltage levels with a rheostat would not work.

Mar 21, 2005, 07:39 PM
    Slowing down an ac motor
    There are a lot of ideas floating around which you can see on Google
    With `-circuit for slowing down ac motors-

Small motors like an elecric drill can be slowed with a light dimmer
    Or a circuit like
    This(http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...den/page12.htm
    And http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM117.pdf

Paul
    berkelusa Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2009, 05:15 PM

What are you using the Motor for? I would go with a DC Motor from a Treadmill Machine.. Just be sure to get the Speed Controller and the full harness to modify it.. Those Motors have more torque than you think.. I'm thinking about adding one to a Metal Cutting Bandsaw I have.. -Rob
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Dec 1, 2009, 05:17 PM

If after 5 years this guy doesn't have an answer then I doubt he really wanted one.
    pehta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 02:35 PM
    Comment on Tev's post
    Yes, you are right... but I think that his comment is still very valuable for other web surfers... don't you think so ?
    maxslomoff Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2011, 04:16 PM
    urmod4u, are you still there?
    Id like to see your schematic as well. If I may add a question to this thread...
    I want to build something that can slide a heavy weight slowly back and forth, with a pause at each end. The travel distance needs to be between 4-10 ft. the weight would be all attached to a flat frame that I can hang from heavy duty channels and bearings - so this frame would be supported by other means, but I need a motor that is strong enough to push and pull it along its tracks. (any where between 100-600 lb.)

Bonus's would be
    *adjustable travel distance
    *adjustable speed
    *adjustable pause time at each end

I was trying to investigate hacking a garage door opener, thinking I could make a physical switch at each end that could press the button and send it in the other direction... but then I started reading about motor controllers, and stepper motors and servo motors and I'm lost. In way over my head.

Do you have any words of wisdom for me? Any ideas you think I should explore?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

Gas Vs. Electric [ 12 Answers ]

I am terrible with engines so I was considering getting all electric Lawn equipment. What do you think I would be sacrificing ? I have a zero Lot line so I don't have that much to cut and Some of the equipment is wireless.

What is slowing down my computer? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm running a 3.0GHz EMT64 CPU, 1GIG of dual-channel memory, Windows 2000Pro (hyperthreading turned off) and a 64-bit capable motherboard of course. When I close or a window such as IE, I can't reopen it from the taskbar although I can still see it open down there. After about 15 seconds, it goes...

Abrdrv.exe slowing down my PC [ 2 Answers ]

My PC runs XP and frequently has a huge chunk of it's CPU being sucked up by a process named abrdrv.exe I can't find any references to this on the web. Does anyone know what it does? Can I get rid of it?

Abrreg.exe - PC slowing down [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this little bugger. I have been having several problems with my PC slowing down a great deal lately. I have done various things such as deleted processes which seemed to be gobbling memory such as kbdvd.exe and removed the indexing files...

View more questions Search