Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2009, 01:21 AM
    Brown Water Coming Out of the Faucets After Water Has Been Shut Off for Awhile
    Hi!

Is that normal after the water supply has been shut off for a short or long while? Also, is brown water coming out after doing that a sign that there is something wrong with the plumbing system?

Thanks!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 05:34 AM

It's pretty common. I doubt that there is anything wrong.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 21, 2009, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi!

Is that normal after the water supply has been shut off for a short or long while? Also, is brown water coming out after doing that a sign that there is something wrong with the plumbing system?

Thanks!
    I disagree with Pento. Brown water indicates iron oxide,(rust) in your system and that just ain't normal. Before I can answer I need more information. Pump or city water? Type of piping? Plastic, copper or galvanized? Age of the house? Both hot and cold brown or just one of them? How long do you hafta run the water before it runs clear? Answer me and I'll answer you. Tom
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2009, 02:23 PM

Hi, Tom!

It's city water.

Pipes are a combination of galvanized and copper at my home. Where I'm house and dog-sitting right now, the pipes are galvanized, copper and plastic. My home is really old, where I'm at right now, the home is around, I think, 40 years old and in an upscale neighborhood and the water was off for about 30 minutes last night. Don't know the cause of it being shut off.

At my home, both hot and cold are brown. Here, if I recall correctly, it appeared to be just the cold water that was brown.

At my home, I have to run the water for about 10 minutes before it will be clear. At this home, it only took a few minutes for the water to be clear again.

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 21, 2009, 03:23 PM
    Here's your culprit, (see images). This is what happens to galvanized pipe over the years. What's happening is that between draws the water in the pipe will absorb some of the rust. When you run the water it will flush the rust out and the water will run clear. The solution is a repipe job. No instant fix here. Sorry I couldn't have more helpful. Regards, tom
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Plumbing systems that mix Galvanized with copper (usually for historic reasons) are bad news. The iron dissolves and the copper causes an acceleration of the iron corrosion.

Having to wait for 10 minutes for the water to clear is excessive and I have to agree with speedball1 that it is a problem -- especially from hearing your description.

I have seen pipes that are clogged from iron and scale that have to be replaced throughout the house. This can be pretty costly.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 10:15 PM

I agree with Tom, 40 years old house with a combination of galvanized and copper, will have Build up of rust inside the only solution is a repipe job, good luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water coming from cold side tap even though hot water supply shut off [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I been having problem for past year now hot water comes from the cold side tap, I only have 1 tap that shares water hot and cold the other 2 I have are 2 separate hot cold and 2 are just cold taps now I have even shut the cold water supply to the hot water tank off, but yet when I run the...

Orange/Brown grains coming in through water supply [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into a house a little over a year ago. This house has a water softener which we have never had before. This has happened twice since we've lived here. When you run the water or flush the toilets orange grains come through the water lines. They almost seem like salt. They are very...

New House, noisy banging Pipes when water shut off. [ 6 Answers ]

Pipes bang when you close Hot or Cold water. Would you say that the plumber failed to install airlocks at each faucet? capthah

Water coming back up pipes [ 6 Answers ]

Here is a quick run down... Sunday water started coming up into my tubs in both bathrooms. This water had toilet paper residue in it. When ever the water was running or the toilet was flushed the water would come up. I bought a powerful liquid to power down the drains and it fixed the problem. ...

Loud constant noise coming from water pipes [ 3 Answers ]

Last night I began hearing this loud earpiercing vibrating sound coming from my water pipes. It is loudest in the basement and up into both bathrooms on the main and upper levels of the house. Then noise is constant until a toilet is flushed and it suddenly disappears only to return when the toilet...

View more questions Search