Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 02:59 PM
    I have never used anything but structolite... see if you can find at a local plaster supply store. I'm thinking you could also use a bag of thinset mortar here (mix thick)... ;)

Otherwise, the bottom of the unit you have there looks to be reinforced pretty darn well... could probably install without any substrate bed... but substrate bed will be best overall job.

Keep em' coming.
    ozzi1967 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 11:53 PM
    I live in very small town and all the store I went to they never heard of it and the only have this kind
    Name:  MORTORphoto.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  178.0 KB

And even I ask them about the polyehylene sheet they did not know what I am taliking about ,I have extra plastic sheet I used for insulation for my garage this one will work to

Mar 20, 2009, 01:21 AM

Hi Mark
    I did all the plumbing work as you told me and before I install the unit and plumb it I thought I should try the plumbing work I did so I run the water on kitchen sink and the water went down to the drain and fill the p trap with water wondering if this is normal
    Your advise please
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 03:49 AM
    Mortar mix will be fine at this point... ;)

In terms of the PTRAP filling with water from above I figure the pipe probably isn't pitched too much and it should be fine... I have seen traps fill exactly as you mentioned and all was OK.

In post #16 I did say, "In my area you can't connect a shower or tub onto a drain line from a kitchen sink that comes from above" but I don't want you to worry at this point as I figure if the pipe clogs then you will simply need to UNCLOG it... ;)

Anyway, keep going, sounds like you are doing fine!

MARK

Mar 20, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Mark is it possible to connect it under the cleanout as it shows in pic
    Name:  clephoto.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  59.2 KB
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 09:45 AM
    Hi Ozzie...

Certainly is possible, but you would need to move the cleanout, the wye and 45s up so you could fit a fitting into that space as 2" is not enough space to install a fitting.

It would not hurt anything as you could at least install a sanitary tee fitting that has some flow direction to it... compared to a cleanout tee as it is... this may lessen the backflow.

However, it wouldn't change that fact that you are attaching onto a kitchen sink drain line anyway... ;) That pipe is kitchen sink drain line EVEN UNDERGROUND... so changing fitting to sanitary tee not bad, but not perfect solution.

The perfect solution, believe it or not, would be to install this drain into the underground piping at the toilet... or even at the lavatory pipe underground... but for now, as I said... I'd stick with what you have.. see how it works out.

You can always chop up the floor and connect into a larger drain pipe if need be later.

Glad to explain more if you decide to change that cleanout to a sanitary tee... let me know.

MARK

Mar 20, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Hi Mark

If the sanitary tee fitting may lessen the backflow for 30% I will do it
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 11:35 AM
    In theory... it should not allow the waste to flow up the pipe as easily as the cleanout does... check out each fitting side by side... ;) I wonder if a wye and street 45 would even work better...hmmm..?

You can cut the pipes as marked in my pic. Below and then install the ABS sanitary tee fitting, raise the fittings up and use shielded clamps to connect all together. Here, the clamps get installed and the neoprene sleeves FOLD back on themselves in order to SLIDE the pipes back in place... then the neoprene sleeve FLIPS back onto the pipes and you SLIDE the shielded clamps over the sleeves and tighten all up...

Let me know how you do...

MARK
    Attached Images

Mar 21, 2009, 11:21 PM
    Hi Mark
    As you told me I did install ABS sanitary tee fitting step by step as you said and before I install the shower on bed of mortar I run the water in the sink and dishwasher and the water went down the drain with no problem and even it did not go to to the pipe connected to the shower so I kept going and install the shower as you told me. Level it secure it every thing is done I am now working in install the faucet and the one I have does not say how big the hole it should to drill for it (Single-Handle )

Thank you
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 05:14 AM
    Hi Ozzie... good job! Glad to hear things are improved!

The shower valve should come with a plastic rough-in plate... you cut the hole the size of the rough-in plate.. usually! See pictures below. You can see the black plate in the 1st pic. And the white plate in the 2nd pic. The rough-in plate should say something like... "must be FLUSH with finish wall"...
    Attached Images

Mar 22, 2009, 10:07 AM

The rough-in plate is 4.1/2'' OK should I use copper pipe or pex pipe which is better(moen model #L82691 single shower faucet )

Thank you

Apr 3, 2009, 07:32 PM
    Hi Mark

I just want to say thank you so much for all your help and advices you give me to finch my shower it's done and every thing is working perfect thank you again you're a great man

[ATTACH]Name:  frontphoto.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  143.0 KB[/ATTACH]

Thank you
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 03:39 AM
    Hi Ozzie...

Looks like a real nice addition to the home! Thanks you for the update on the job... always nice to see the result!

Pop back anytime if we can help again!

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fiberglass shower stall, new shower set [ 4 Answers ]

We just bought a new shower set for our bathroom but found out we have a problem. It's a fiberglass, 1-piece tub/shower and the hole where the valve comes out is too small to remove the old one. We have two bathrooms and the other tub/shower is back-to-back with the one we're trying to change. This...

Adding a second shower head to shower stall [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to add a second shower head to a shower stall in the basement. What do I need to do to make sure an equal supply of water at the same temperature runs to both heads. I tried to just run a line from the first shower head to the next but that doesn't work.

Narrow Shower Pan/Shower Stall [ 1 Answers ]

Where I can purchase a shower pan/stall approximately 30" wide by 60"? There isn't sufficient clearance adjacent to the toilet to us a 34" width which is available everywhere?

Shower stall need height of controls and shower head [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Am building a shower and require the height of the taps and the shower head

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

View more questions Search