Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steve913 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 08:02 PM
    Signing Over Parental Rights
    I am trying to figure out where I can find paperwork on signing over my parental rights of a said child. The mother and I do not want anything to do with each other and we both agree that my signing over of my parental duties is what is best in the end. Now the child is in NJ and I can't seem to find any legal documentation as to how to go about this. We are trying to do this amongst ourselves as we do not want to have to get lawyers and all involved is there anyway that is possible? I also wanted to get paternity done just to make sure that I am signing over the rights to a child in which I actually fathered. This is the second child to the mother, in which her first one she also told me I was the father but went back and forth between it being my child and someone else's child at the same time. The child was put up for adoption in which I signed all legal documents and then found out through the mother that the child was not mine. Hence why I want to get paternity done for the second child stated in question due to the past of the mother I don't want to sign over anything that really is not my responsibility. Any information regarding this matter would be appreciated.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 08:16 PM

Hi, steve913!

Greetings and WELCOME to the site! I just moved your question that you had posted in Introductions to this forum topic area so that it will get the most exposure to those who are best able to answer it. Introductions is for people to introduce themselves and we try to not ask questions there.

It can be a little confusing when first learning how to use this site! Your question will get noticed much more in this forum topic area.

We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little about yourself though, if you would be willing to do that.

Thanks!
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2009, 08:26 PM

There are lots of threads on this topic...
    You are entitled to a paternity test but can not sign over parental rights unless there is a pending adoption.

Mar 19, 2009, 08:30 PM

How can I not sign over parental rights without an adoption I don't see why that is necessary. Is that in every state? I mean she does not want me involved and not to sound rude or inconsiderate nor do I so how can I go about getting this completed? Someone please help...
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2009, 08:35 PM

It is necessary because you are to be held responsible for your offspring. If she won't allow you to see the child, you have a right to visitation and can pursue those rights through the courts. Read some of the others threads on this topic; there are hundreds.

And not to be rude or inconsiderate, if it were that easy every guy that wasn't ready for a child, would be running to the courts trying to terminate his rights to avoid paying child support.

Mar 19, 2009, 08:41 PM

Yeah I see your point there and I understand what you mean its not that I don't want to be there I mean I am fighting for paternity which I will be getting done soon but her and I do not want anything from each other and she does not want me to be there and not that I don't want to be but not to sound like a non wanting to be a father but I have moved on due to her past I do not see how I could look at her or the child the same no matter what dna shows does that make sense. She doesn't want me to pay child support just wants me to terminate my rights and I am in agreement with that as well.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2009, 04:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by steve913 View Post
    yeah i see your point there and i understand what you mean its not that i dont want to be there i mean i am fighting for paternity which i will be getting done soon but her and i do not want anything from each other and she does not want me to be there and not that i dont want to be but not to sound like a non wanting to be a father but i have moved on due to her past i do not see how i could look at her or the child the same no matter what dna shows does that make sense. she doesnt want me to pay child support just wants me to terminate my rights and i am in agreement with that as well.
    Sorry man, but what she wants isn't so much a consideration here either. You are not allowed to voluntarily terminate your rights unless there is an adoption proceeding. Even if you were allowed to, it would not mitagate the child support that you would owe.

If she doesn't want support, she can send you the money back. You need to pay it if support is ordered though... because you do not want to trust her when she says "dont bother sending it... " because eventually she'll change her mind and you will still owe every penny of it and then some.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Signing away parental rights [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I did a one night stand the chick got pregnant now Im paying child support. Im remarried and happier than I have ever been have another child and he is my world to me. I want nothing to do with the other child from the one night stand Can I just sign away my rights and keep paying child...

Signing over parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, so my daughter just turned a year old. The whole while I was pregnant her father wanted nothing to do with me or her. I have since than met a wonderful man who loves both my daughter and myself.. and we have been talking about him adopting my daughter. How do I go about this? I have talked to...

Signing over parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been paying child support for a while, however because he lost a job and was out of work the mother ( who has a dual income) reports that she has not been receiving payments. After going to the courts to petition for money, she calls and ask why she had not received payments? Of...

Signing over parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

My ex had a baby 8 years ago she said I was my daughter she has been hiding ever since the courts in California named me the father in 1999 by default judgment well I found her on my space and saw some pics and now I am even more convinced that I'm not the father so I asked her for a dna test and...

View more questions Search