Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccscbc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 09:50 PM
    Why is our tax refund so small? Are we missing something?
    My salary $60K, my husband's salary $29K, we have 1 child, we have an interest-only mortgage, I currently claim 2 exemptions & he claims 1.

We're supposed to get approx $800 back?? That seems really weak considering that when I was single, without kids & renting an apartment... I got back $600-$800! Granted my salary was less, but still!
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 14, 2009, 11:06 PM

I know, mine was about $500 short of what I expected as well. The man filing my taxes told me that I have to pay taxes on my stimulus from last year. ODD.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 15, 2009, 01:01 PM

First, Chihuahua Momma, the stimulus payment you got is NOT TAXABLE. Find another tax preparer.

Second, ccscbc, are you filing married filing separately? What status are you filing under?
    Vision Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 01:10 PM

I was told by two places that it was. This was the first year that I didn't do my own taxes.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 15, 2009, 02:54 PM

The stimulus payment is not taxable; period.

Go back to the two places that told you that it was and kick them where it hurts the most.
    Vision Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 02:56 PM

Then where did that extra money go? How do I get it back?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 02:56 PM

How much you get back * remember it is your own money you are being repaid) depends on how much you pay in and your tax rates.
    Vision Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    How much you get back * remember it is your own money you are being repaid) depends on how much you pay in and your tax rates.
    Me or OP?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 03:28 PM

To get a greater refund (of your own money) next year, ask your employer for, and fill out a new W-4. Your husband can do this too. Claim 0. If you are not claiming yourself and your child, your husband is not claiming himself, they will withhold more from each of your paychecks.

Not doing this, means that you have more money each paycheck and can invest and gain interest. Claiming zero means that Uncle Sam holds onto more of your money, then gives it back to you when you file your taxes.

You can also have additional money withheld from each paycheck. There is a spot on the W-4 that asks if you would like to, and how much. If you do not owe this additional amount, they give it back.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 15, 2009, 03:35 PM
    If you feel your refund is low (this applies to both the OP and CM), then take it someplace else and have it checked. Maybe you missed some deductions. But each individual return is different. You really can't compare.

As Chuck noted, getting a refund merely means that you had too much withheld during the year. A refund is determined by calculated your tax liability based on income and deductions, then comparing that to what was withheld.
    ccscbc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 11:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Rings View Post
    First, Chihuahua Momma, the stimulus payment you got is NOT TAXABLE. Find another tax preparer.

Second, ccscbc, are you filing married filing seperately? What status are you filing under?
    We are filing married jointly.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 8, 2009, 01:28 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma:

If you have not already done so, you can amend your return for 2008 and get a refund of $90 - $150 back by filing Form 1040X.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In Small bus is it OK to pay self a small salary & use a schedule e for bus profit [ 2 Answers ]

In my small business is it OK to pay myself a small salary & use a schedule e for business profit? I do this to avoid high ss taxes and medicare taxes.

Refund NON-REFUND deposit [ 4 Answers ]

I put a NON-Refundable deposit on a new motorcycle ordered by a AZ. Dealer. I live in las vegas, NV. Is it legal for him to keep my deposit if I have changed my mind? Thanks, Tom

Missing STATE tax refund [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to help my daughter find her missing 2007 PENNSYLVANIA tax refund. I have tried multiple web sites, but even though I ask about STATE refunds they direct me to IRS sites. I did my daughters return in April, she had about $175 coming to her in a refund, but she has never received it. As...

Small Business Tax Refund [ 3 Answers ]

I own an online publication that I operate from my home and is sponsored by advertisers. I started it in August. What goes into deciding whether a small business gets a tax refund? Thanks you.

View more questions Search