Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ofc47 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 06:44 PM
    Fix a cracked Toilet Tank
    What kind of adhesive do I use to fix a Toilet tank that was cracked so it doesn't leak... I forgot to put antifreeze in my tank while I left my cabin and the tank cracked and got water all over. Now I have a Tank that is very hard to replace because the rough in from the wall is only 9inches from the wall (Because it's from a trailer) I want to just repair the tank if possible since the crack is in the back it should be OK... but I don't want it to leak once it's repaired... Any Suggestions?

J.R.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 06:53 PM

Is this a platic tank? Only reason I ask, is because I've seen plastic tanks in trailer houses.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 07:09 PM

You can use any one of several 2 part epoxy glues. I would not do this for anyone as a repairman but you are free to do what you want with your property. Plumbers Goo would actually work too, made by the folks who make Shoe Goo.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 07:30 PM

Great answer Ballengerb1. Try what you must as a homeowner, but the best fix is replacement(in this case).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 07:42 PM

Replacement or even a good used one from a home materials recycler. Some suggestions on where to find salvaged recycled toilet tank lids as well as where to look for more recycling and salvage centers.

When I was young, short on money and brains I bought a roll of duct tape every month. I held my house together with duct tape.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 07:43 PM

I am not sure that you understood what the two were telling you so I am going to say it a little out right. It is not a good idea to try to repair a leak in a cracked porcelain commode thank. The reason being expansion and contraction, no matter how good you repair it it is very apt to do like a cracked windshield in an auto, let the temperature change and the crack runs across the windshield, the same can happen to the tank. If you water is off you just loose the amount of water that is in the tank, but if you were out in the yard or on the lake or any way be gone when it happens and you would have a big flood.
    rockincobra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 11:19 PM
    You might not believe this but I have had success with liquid nails ,just dry the tank thoroughly in the hot sun for about a day and then do your patch with the waterproof liquid nails for bathrooms let cure two to three days or more if you have time be careful tightening the bolts
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 31, 2012, 06:14 AM
    Hi rockincobra and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 3 year old dead thread. Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date in the first post before you post, Thanks,

be careful tightening the bolts
    Good advice. If you crank them down tight the first person to lean back will crack the tank all over again. Give the tank a quarter inch of play to be safe. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Tank Cracked [ 28 Answers ]

Toilet tank has a hairline crack along bottom from the mounting bolt and up right hand side about 4 inches and lets water seep out. What can I apply to the inside of the tank to seal the crack? If it cannot be repaired, where can I find replacement ?- It is American Standard, Model Number...

Toilet tank doesn't refill. No water in tank make it flush [ 17 Answers ]

My toilet was working properly before tonight. :p There was no slow leak sound; nothing. Now when the handle is pressed, nothing happens. I opened up the tank and found there was no water in the tank. :( I've been searching the Internet for answers, but haven't found any that address this...

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Repairing cracked toilet lids [ 7 Answers ]

My toilet tank lid fell and broke in four pieces what do I do? And what is the cost?

Cracked toilet cover [ 4 Answers ]

My son crackd the cover to the toilet. Is there a glue that will connect to two pieces together? It's basically broke in half. It's the cover that fits over the tank. Looks to be clay-like or 'ceramic'? (sp).

View more questions Search