Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xmanwolverine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Priming jet pump
    I am replacing a water tank and I need to reprime the pump. How is this accomplished?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 17, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanwolverine View Post
    I am replacing a water tank and I need to reprime the pump. How is this accomplished?
    To prime a pump, look on top of the impeller housing and find a threaded 1/4" hole with a plug. This could also gave a pressure gage installed in the threaded hole. No matter, turn the pump off at the breaker box and remove whatever's in there and fill the impeller housing with water until it runs out of the hole replace the plug or gage and turn the pump back on. If you can't fill the housing up to the top that would indicate a faulty check valve. But before you prime the pump you should calibrate your new bladder tank. Let me explain the function of a bladder tank. Pressure and bladder tanks provide a air cushion that produces water pressure in your system so your pump doesn't kick on every time you draw a glass of water. A bladder tank has a neoprene membrane in the center. As the pump puts water into the bottom half of the bladder tank the membrane compresses the air in the top half. When the pressure reaches the cut off point in the control box the pump shuts down. However you still have between 40 to 50 pounds of pressure pushing the water out to your system. As the pressure drops in the tank when you make a draw the pump kicks on and everything starts over again. The bladder tank setting MUST be made with the pump off and the system bled down by opening a cold water faucet after you shut the system down at the breaker box.
    Your air setting on the tank should be 2 pounds UNDER the cut in point in the pressure control box. If your pressure control has a 20 PSI cut in and 40 PSI cut out the tank pressure should read 18 PSI. This should be done with the pump off and no pressure in the system. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Priming well-x-trol pump [ 2 Answers ]

How do I prime a well-x-trol pump? I shut it off to replace a faucet and lost pressure

Pump priming [ 1 Answers ]

Today I tried to have my house power washed and within less than half an hour my water pump was drained with no pressure reading on the gauge. AS I have done before, when pressure goes below about 20 lbs, I shut of pump. After it stands for a few hours it will usually begin to pump and fill my...

Priming the pump [ 1 Answers ]

My parents are out of town and when I came to check on the house I went to the restroom and flushed, it wouldn't no water was in the tank, I have heard my dad talk about sometimes he has to prime the pump, I'm wondering how I do this?

View more questions Search