Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thumpernator Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 04:34 PM
    Distance of check valve to pump in waste system
    Just installed a bathroom and laundry room in the basement, that was already to an in-ground tank. I have a Rigid waste pump in the waste tank. The outlet pipe goes up about 6 feet then bends to a 45 where I have a check valve and shutoff valve. Pipe goes up at a 45 another two feet and then goes into the main pipe going to the septic system.

I'm thinking I have the check valve too far away from the pump. When the pump runs, it only runs for about 3 seconds. When it shuts off, the water drains back into the tank from the check valve, so very little waste actually makes it to the main line where gravity takes over to take the waste to the septic tank.

Should I move the check valve so it's closer to the pump? I'm thinking I should come out of the tank about a foot to a 90 and install the check valve there. Or, am I worried about nothing?

Thanks.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Hi Thumpernator...

The 6ft height is usually not a major issue regarding pump cycling like this. I'm thinking the pump may not be set deep enough in the tank (may be on multiple cement blocks, for example) or the float may be set improperly.

What kind of float do you have? A pill type-switch (float on a cord rises side to side and up and down) or a stationary float (is attached to pump directly.. only raises up and down)?

Any paper work that may have a ridgid model numer?

Back to you.

MARK
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 04:58 PM

As Mark said, the present distance should not be an issue...

Based on recommendation of our pump manufacturer, we install all our check valves in vertical position and no higher than 12" from the pump discharge. Also we drill 3/8" hole right above the discharge, between the pump and check valve...

Mar 16, 2009, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Thumpernator...

The 6ft height is usually not a major issue regarding pump cycling like this. I'm thinking the pump may not be set deep enough in the tank (may be on multiple cement blocks, for example) or the float may be set improperly.

What kind of float do you have? A pill type-switch (float on a cord rises side to side and up and down) or a stationary float (is attached to pump directly..only raises up and down)?

Any paper work that may have a ridgid model numer?

Back to you.

MARK
    The pump is sitting on the bottom of the tank (put it there myself). It's a Rigid SSEP500 that has an electronic level sensor. And yes, I have the manual for it. The pump is brand new and I tested the level mechanism before I closed up the system. It pumps to the rated level and shuts off. It has a very high pump rate. I drilled the weep hole just like the manual said to do it. The manual doesn't state how far away to place the check valve, just that it had to have one.

The manual also states to mount the check valve horizontally or up to a 45 angle. It can't be mounted vertically in a waste system, since waste could collect on top and prevent the valve from opening.

Hope this helps.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 05:35 PM

Do what manufacturer tells you to do.

FYI: Sewer will collect behind check valve no matter what position you put it in. In fact, in it will seal-close better in vertical position. I am enclosing installation diagram from a typical in-ground pump installation...
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 06:08 PM
    How large is the tank... any idea?

Mar 16, 2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks, guys. I don't know the exact size of the tank. It was installed by the dealer. But I think it's just like the ones sold at Home Depot, about 4' deep and about 2.5' in diameter.

BTW, my neighbor has the same setup in the basement. His does exactly the same as mine.

Maybe it's a good time to move the check valve now, since all that's in the system is clean water. I think it just makes good sense to have it as close to the pump as possible. That way, the pump will not run as often. A 2" line holds a lot of water when it's full.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 06:49 PM

Mark, size of HD buckets is 18"x 30"

Thum'tor: I agree with you: install that check valve as close to the pump as possible. If it runs only 3 seconds than it tells me that the pump is very powerful and the bucket is small.

What kind of float do you have? Is it built on side of the pump or hanging on cable inside the bucket ?

Mar 16, 2009, 07:24 PM

Milo,

The level sensor isn't a float. It's a capacitive plate mounted on the side of the pump. Completely electronic. Measured the top plate, and those dimensions look correct.

The pump motor is 1/2 HP and the flow rate is 7680 GPH. If my math is correct, that's about 2.1 gal per second. So it's pumping around 6 gal when it comes on.

Mar 16, 2009, 07:26 PM
    BTW, it's a RIDGID. I misspelled it earlier.

DUH!
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 07:27 PM

I am sorry, now when I read your previous post I noticed you stated that info already. My oversight...

It seems to me that 6glns per minute is not too much. I think it should be pumping lot more. Is that sensor adjustable ? When you look down the pit, does it pump all the way to the bottom ?

Yes, Ridgid = Home Depot brand...

Mar 16, 2009, 07:33 PM

Sensor isn't adjustable.

Wonder if I should change the pump to a different brand before the crap flows. Any suggestions if I go that route?

Another thought. I've been doing some more reading about the electronic level and don't like what I'm reading. Evidently, Ridgid knows about the problem and the problem is that the sensor plate gets a film on it and has to be cleaned off from time to time. That's not something I want to do with a WASTE system.

So,, options would be to do nothing and see what happens. Change to a different pump. Keep the present pump and buy a separate level switch. I could run that cord to the outside and switch to it if the electronic one peters out.

The present Ridgid has two cords, one for the level switch and one for the pump.

So I need some expert advise on what to do. This system is servicing a bathroom and laundry room. We have a high efficiency front loader washing machine which uses about a third of the water as a top loader. The bathroom will mostly be used for liquid waste, very seldom being used for the #2 job. So the main use of the system will most likely be from the washing machine. Don't know if that info helps, but thought I'd throw it in there for you experts.

I just glanced at the box the pump came in and it has in big print, "Lifetime maintenance-free." Yeah,, right.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 04:12 AM
    Thumpernator... I recommend you install a ZOELLER sewage ejector (2" discharge)....these pumps never fail and never need maintenance unless tampons or napkins get into the ejector pit...;)

See picture below.

These can be purchased online or should be available at a local plumbing supply company.

The setup is exactly as on the last one...drill 5/16" hole and set into pit with check valve about 3 feet above the pump.

The float is integral to the unit as you can see and does not rely on a separate float switch... all in all, pretty much all I have ever installed in 27 years now. Very reliable pump.

Check out www.zoeller.com for more info.

MARK
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 07:01 AM

I agree with Mark: Zoeller is a great product and will give you years of dependable service. We also install Zoeller on all of our projects.

For your application, I would use M267 Zoeller pump with built in float - as shown in Mark's post above...

Mar 17, 2009, 07:17 AM

Thanks Mark. I just ordered Zoeller M267 Waste-Mate Cast Iron 115 Volt 0.5 HP Sewage & Dewatering Submersible Pump Automatic

Now I've got to see if I can take back the Ridgid.

Dave
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 07:21 AM

LOL! Good luck with returning used Sewer Pump at Home Depot counter !

Mar 17, 2009, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    I agree with Mark: Zoeller is a great product and will give you years of dependable service. We also install Zoeller on all of our projects.

For your application, I would use M267 Zoeller pump with built in float - as shown in Mark's post above....
    Thanks, Milo. Didn't see your post while I was posting my last one. Couldn't find one locally, but for two day shipping it was only $25, but no sales tax.

Hopefully, I ordered the right one. :D
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 07:28 AM

Tom, you are welcome to have it !
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 10:02 AM
    I'm sure it will be no problem since you never did use it with any sewage.. right? Just don't use any bleach... that'll be a dead giveaway... ;)

Simple wash up and you should be all set... ;)

Good luck!

Mar 19, 2009, 10:29 AM

I just installed the Zoeller pump and in the instructions it shows the check valve in the vertical position. All other literature I've seen on other pumps say not to do this because debris can rest on top of the flapper and keep it from opening.

I do not have the Zoeller model check valve, but rather one from the local plumbing supply, and it is a flapper type.

You guys ever heard of a problem mounting it vertically? Sure would make a lot less work for me if I do it that way.

Also, is there a problem if there were two check valves in the system? I already have on about 5' up on a 45 angle, and just adding one in the vertical just above the tank would be easier than the alternative.

Thanks for all your professional help, guys.

Dave

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check valve fix for well pump ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a submersive pump well system and my check valve has gone bad. So my question is can I install a new check valve up by the bladder or do I have to pull the pump up and if that's the case then how hard a job is that to do

My doctor won't check how far I am dilated because he thinks it's a waste of time [ 13 Answers ]

I am 36 weeks pregnant and I went to my appointment today and I asked the doctor if he was going to check how far I was dilated and he said no. I asked him why and he said the only time he will check is when I go into labour, he thinks doctors that check every week just waste their time. So how on...

Septic pump check valve [ 1 Answers ]

My septic (effluent) pump runs about 5 times a day. This started about a week ago. I think it is my back-up valve. How do I remove and check valve? After I am finished how do I ensure that my pump is primed and working?

Waste Flange (top) to floor distance [ 2 Answers ]

I just repaired a bathroom floor in this 1927 house. The house flooring has sagged. In the repair I took off about 2 1/2 inches of old floor and scabbed on reinforcing 2 x 8's to the weak lumber. Now the floor is very nice and strong (I used 3/4" treated plywood). My problem is that the top of...

Waste system pressure testing [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to air pressure test a new pvc waste/vent line? The plumbing inspector wants it air tested @ 5 psi for 15 minutes. This is the rough plumbing for a second floor addition, so I've glued all the pvc, but have not glued the connections to the main soil stack or to the main...

View more questions Search