Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    navyflyer91 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Value of 1957 silver certificate with star next to serial #
    I have 15 consecutive silver certificates in CRISP condition with the star next to the serial number. What is the value of these dollars... Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2009, 03:12 PM

Hi, navyflyer91!

Flying Blue Eagle is an Expert on this site who has the current documentation concerning the possible monetary value of such things. As such, I'm sure that he will be along eventually to address your post.

In the meantime, and as per Flying Blue Eagle's request, it would be helpful if you would post the following information concerning the currency that you have. I know that you've already provided some of the information that is asked for in the quote that is below when posting your question.

#1 - The denomination of the currency, such as $1.00, $2.00, $5.00, $10.00, etc.
    #2 - Series date - Examples: 1935, 1935A,1935B, etc.
    #3 - Signatures - Examples: Priest - Anderson or others.
    #4 - Color of seal and color of serial numbers. Is there a star before or after the serial number? If so, what color?
    #5 - What is written above on the very top of the currency? Examples: SILVER CERTIFICATE, Federal reserve note, treasury or coin note. Legal tender note, etc.
    It sounds like what you have might be like that as described below. The information is from the following site.

1.9) How do you grade the condition of paper money?

Crisp Uncirculated, UNC or CU: This means absolutely not the
    slightest sign of any handling or wear or folding or *anything*.
    Some people use additional grades to distinguish qualities such
    as perfect centering or other printing characteristics. Certainly
    a note which has centering problems which are visible from a
    distance of 1 meter (3 feet) should have this mentioned in the
    condition description.

Would what you have fit that description?

Thanks!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 09:38 PM
    navyflyer91- please follow cloughs post above.then I will be able to give you your answers:: Waiting for your reply<have a good day and keep her between the clouds>zand god bless::
    F.b.e.
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 12:01 AM

I figured that you might have a particular interest in someone who uses the moniker of navyflyer91, F.B.E.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 03:34 PM

Clough- I figured that he was a fellow pilot, I
    Have a good saying for you( #1-Why PILOTS prefer AIRPLANES over women ) ANS.[ Airplanes don't mind if you look at other airplanes) I'VE GOT ONE more-(Airplanes don't come with inlaws) Hope you get a laugh out of these , I always used to tell barb ,that I'D rather fly then eat. IF I DIED FLYINGTALK LATER GOT TO GO <CHURCH STARTS IN A LITTLE WHILE < GOD BLESS F.B.E.

Mar 15, 2009, 09:37 PM

FBE, loved the jokes... hope my wife does as well.

As for the 15 consecutive notes they are 1957 $1.00 notes VERY CRISP, Priest/Anderson, BLUE seal, have a blue star BEFORE the serial numbers, and say SILVER CERTIFICATE on the top. They look on center, but I am not sure how to gauge this and what should be considered center

I also have a 1935 $1.00 bill in circulated condition but good shape, with a blue seal, no star, silver certificate on top.
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 09:39 PM
    I too, loved the jokes, F.B.E.

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2009, 09:42 PM

Forgot to say THANKS Clough for your help as well.
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 09:49 PM

Hey, that's okay! You're welcome and my pleasure!

Flying Blue Eagle has been pretty active here at least the past couple of days. So, hopefully, he'll be on sometime soon! Sometimes his health plays tricks on him though where he'll be unable to be on here for a number of days.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 10:40 PM

Navyflyer91- ILL print out your answers tomorrow, it's kind of long'I'M giving you a lot of information as I like to do with everyone
    Youal have a very nice day and god bless;F.B.E. GOOD EVENING CLOUGH::
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2009, 11:03 PM

Good evening to you too, Flying Blue Eagle!

Mar 18, 2009, 09:49 AM

F.B.E. and or/ Clough... how do I rate you. The only rate me is under one of MY responses... thanks...
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2009, 10:41 PM

NAVYFLYER91 - I WILL GIVE YOU ON THE 1935-$1.00 note first;;{ Signatures are JULIAN AND MORGENTHAU:: BLUE SEAL, SILVER CERTIFICATE:: [ .- SERIES_1935-$1.00 SILVER CERTIFICATE,BLUE SEAL::SIGNATURES - JULIAN AND MORGENTHAU;;
    VF-20 UNC-63 GOOD VERY FINE

#1607 .- $3.50 $ 25.00 $4.50 $ $10.00 { THE STAR <AFTER THE NUMBER IS FOR A STAR NOTE }

#1607 ( *) $ 60.00 $400.00
    I AM GOING TO START WITH AN Explanation ABOUT {STAR NOTES} AND WHAT THEY ARE : A STAR NOTE -IS A NOTE THAT WAS MUTILATED <TORE <ECT<#1- DURNING THE PRINTING PROCESS> THEY PULL THIS DAMAGED NOTE OUT AND REPLACE IT WITH A IDENTICAL NOTE< THEN THE DAMAGED NOTE IS NOTED DOQWN IN THE BOOK AND THEN THIS ONE IS TAKEN TO THE INCERZATOR< DOWN IN THE BASEMENT< AND BURNED :: #2- THE PREsses are only (8) didgets so when the millionth note is printed
    { 1000,000,000 } #1A- THESE notes have the {STARS,AT THE FRONT OF THE SERIAL NUMBERIT IS SUBSTITUTED FOR THE PREFIX LETTERON THE {FEDERAL RESERVE -- IT IS SUBSTITUTED ,FOR THE SUFFIX LETTERS::
    THE 1935 silver certificate , WAS changed to 1935A because of a change of THE SIZE OF THE WRITEING FOR THE TINY PLATE NUMBERS ALREADY ON THE NOTES:: THEN IT WAS CHANGED AGAIN IN 1945to have the series number 1935B WHEN SIGNATURIES CHANGED FROM JULIAN & MORGANTHAU><TO JULIAN AND VINSON;; TYHESE SIGNATURES CONTINUED IN THE 1935 series un till THE year 1963,when the signing of {SMITH- DILLON terminated the issuewith the series 1935HThese notes were issued for 28 years,bearing the date 1935::: { ( mixed plate numbers) {THESE ARE ALSO CALLED {MULES} CHECK FOR THIS ON YOUR 1935 note;; mPREFIX AND SUFFIX LETTERS ( NTHRU A ) AND ( P Through A ) VALUE OF THESE ARE { $ 250.00 } Durning the change over on the plate numbers , the plate numbers were changed from almost a microscopic to a larger size;; DURNING THE CHANGE OVER PERIOD IN PRINTING <PLATEs were sometimes mixed up ,produceing ( A NOTE WITH A LARGE NUMBER ON ONE SIDE AND A SMAL:L NUMBER ON THE OTHER SIDE::NOTES OF THIS (VARIETY) ARE CALLED( MULES):: THIS term is from one applied to coins struck with the obverse or the reverse of one year and the opposite side from a die of another year;; THIS IS ABOUT THE PLATE NUMBERS ON THE (ENGRAVED PLATE DIE USED TO PRINT SHEETS OF NOTES ::: YOU WILL FIND THESE NUMBERS ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT ENd :: { ON THE (OBVERSE SIDE) (FACE) AND ON BACK (REVERSE) {EXAMPLE - FRONT SIDE_ PLATE NUMBERS _ B4154 {BACK- 130:: ) NOW
    more information on the sheets of paper currency as it comes off the press ; some were 12 some 18 , some 32 ;; on July 25, 1957 ,
    burea of ingraveing began production of notes printed in sheets of 32subjects, each sheet consists of four quandrants of eight notes ,
    { ON JULY 25th of 1957, they started using the 32 subjects per sheet;;APRIL 2nd 1953 started using the 18 subjects sheet NAVY-
    FLYER91;; I will finish this tomorrowe, IT IS ALMOST !AM : I AM PRETTY TIRED TONIGHT < YOU AL HAVE A VERY NICE DAY TOMORROW AND GOD BLESS< OH I HAVE ABOUT THREE OR FOUR MORE PILOT JOKES < GLAD YOUAL GOT A KICK OUT OF THEM ::
    GOOD NIGHT ALL ::F.B.E.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2009, 10:46 PM

NAVYFLYER91- to rate us -at the bottom of our post abount there is a orange colored box
    And in the center of the bor is printed { RATE THIS ANSWER:: GOD BLESS ::F.B.E.

Mar 19, 2009, 12:35 PM

F.B.E. the only place I have the rate me orange box is on MY comments and none appear on anyone else's. Any ideas as to why? Am I too new to this web site? Any thoughts Clough??
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by navyflyer91 View Post
    F.B.E. the only place I have the rate me orange box is on MY comments and none appear on anyone elses. Any ideas as to why? Am I too new to this web site? Any thoughts Clough???????
    It could be that you haven't made enough posts yet to start doing that. Just my guess...

The people that are the main ones who run the site have been making some big changes here over the past many months. Also, there has been a big problem with people that have been new, with maybe even one post to their name, who have rated very negatively and/or inappropriately and then we never see them again.

I was a victim of that several weeks ago. The poster started a thread that was bogus and a bait for someone to answer so that they could rate them negatively.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 09:52 PM

NAVYFLYER91 - This is one item that you don't find in the reg. coin or paper money books ;;
    I done some research and have found out a answer you will like;;SEARIES 1957 -SLLVER CERTIFICATES - NUMBERED CONSECUTIVLY- IN ALMOST UNCIRCULATED CONDITION:: THEY ARE SELLING FOR { $29.95 EACH} AT THE VERY LEAST, I was told that they were going at { $79,95} each and that there are a lot of collectors of this type that will still pay that , THIS IS PLUS SALES TAX AND SHIPPING. I HOPE I HAVE HELPED YOU OUT ON THIS MATTER< I WILL KEEP MY EYES AND EARS OPEN AND IF I SEE OR HEAR ANYTHING <I WILL LET YOU KNOW;
    A.S.A.P, HAVE A BETTER DAY TOMORROW AND GOD BLESS:: F.B.E. PS_ WITH A STAR THE VALUES ARE SOMETIMES DOUBLE ::F.B.E.::WERE YOU OR ARE YOU STILL A NAVY FLYER??

Mar 28, 2009, 07:08 PM

F.B.E... Any idea where I could sell these at a good price? Any ideas where to list them for sale other than Ebay? I retired when I was injured during the gulf war.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 10:08 PM

Hi again, navyflyer91!

Thanks for the positive rating! I know plenty of places online where you might be able to list what you have for sale. I'm sure that Flying Blue Eagle can give you some ideas about possible other places.

eBay costs money to use. If you are interested in the other places online where you might list them without having to pay anything, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 11:22 PM

Navy flyyer91- sorry to hear about in the gulf war ,i missed that one ,i hit last part of korea ,the cold war and 2 years of nam, i was b-47 jet jocky and c-123 and ended up on the c-130 j i do miss it though <as long as i was flying <i was in heaven : i got a couple more pilot jokes for you and clough:: why pilots prefer planes over women: #1- airplanes don't object to pre-flight inspection:: #2- airplanes come with a manual to explain their operation:: #3- airplanes have strict weight and balance limitations:: #4- i hope youal like these:: yes i can give you some places also : they are the ( the society of paper money collectors < i have a long list of their names <address <phone numbers < fax numbers <e-mail <just all you will need : i can either fax copyies or type out some or e_mail them ::let me know how god bless ::f.b.e. eagle 1 out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a $1 1957 silver certificate worth ? [ 6 Answers ]

What is a $1 1957 silver certificate worth ?

What is the value of 1957 Silver Certificate if any? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1957 One Dollar Bill - Silver Certificate, B series, Blue Seal, signatures of Kathryn O'Hay Granahan - C. Douglas Dillon, VF condition. Anyone know if it is worth anything more than one dollar? I appreciate any info.

1957 silver certificate [ 3 Answers ]

How much is a 1957A Silver Certificate worth #I5533748A

1957 Silver Certificate [ 3 Answers ]

What is the current market value of a 1957 Silver Certificate?

What is the value of a 1957 b silver certificate? [ 2 Answers ]

what is the value of a 1957 b silver certificate? If I was to sell it, what would I get?

View more questions Search